• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

On Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchul

Does anyone have an idea as to whether the Selection Board takes into account what University an applicant attended?

Tolerance only benefits the weak

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
you know I honestly am not sure about this, but when i first started talking to my recruiter he really made it seem like they take into account what university you go to. He said "if you get at least a 3.0 in your major from your school, you will have no problem getting an SNA slot"

Now I may have just analyzed what he said too much, but it really seemed like by that they considered your school

dont know though

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
School or degree doesn't matter, but GPA does.

Beetle

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wrong, school does matter. When I was a nugget recruiter a million years ago I had an applicant that attended Harvey Mudd. I had never heard of it. I called CNRC and inquired about the school. They informed me that it was a top rated college and my guy would get consideration for his gpa and degree from such a prestigous college. Just think about it. How fair is it that a guy with a 3.0 from a no nothing school gets more consideration than an MIT or Cal Poly guy with a 2.8

commo1

The Barron's College Profile (most competitive, very comp, less comp, not rated, etc.) is listed on the OSO eval for the Marine Corps. So if it comes down to GPA between two applicants, then selection will more than likely favor the applicant with the better school.

farkle84

that is stupid, i went to san diego state, and its not that hard to get into, but i graduated with a 3.2 but i also had flight experience so that might also be something that they look into. good luck

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They always consider the "whole man" or the complete application, balancing the various pluses and minuses. The question was about whether the school is considered among the many variables. The answer remains , yes.

perchul

Just for the record I think there should be some weight given because many of the the classes at better Universities are based strait on the Bell Curve...I'm sure some of us here have taken tests where the point was to not fail it as bad as the other guy. I know schools like Bob's house of waffles and learnin don't use the same standards.

Tolerance only benefits the weak

lonelydriver

My OSO told me that the board will look at what university the applicant attend and what major they in. For example: if both applicant have the same qualification while one graduated with a chemistry degree and the other one graduated with a histoyr degree (no offense), it is likely the board will choose the one with chemistry degree.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
I went to the University Of Hawaii at Hilo and majored in Anthropology. Now I'm an officer and a pilot in the Marine Corps. I don't think where you went to school matters at all. My two cents.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

dvl_dog_2531

Commo1 said it all--it is on the package and therefore fair grounds for the board to review and judge by.

To those who think it is BS, well the whole process is riddled w/BS. To wit: in the boards eye, a former enlisted with a 4 or more years of time in the fleet and who happens to have a few tattoos is looked upon less favorably than an inexperienced 21 y/o college senior who is barely out from his mother's supervision, simply because of the ink.

How fair is that? I'd rather see the board judge by academic credentials than a few tats.

mccabe1919

How much is a Masters degree considered in the process? That is unfortunate to hear about the enlisted situation but I was told the opposite. Prior enlisted has priority in the selection process. But like was mentioned earlier I think it is just a weight and balance system. You get so many points for one thing (prior enlisted) and have them taken away for another(tattoo).

Status
Not open for further replies.