• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Omega Z-33 Spacemaster

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've seen plenty of Breitlings and Rolexes and honestly, I don't think they're as great as others make them out to be. My Omega seems just as solid and quality as the other brands. Maybe it's the specific ones I've seen, but still.
All my Omegas, Breitlings and Rolex are COSC certified so they all run +6/-3 seconds a day. But when you put them side by side and compare cases, finishes, dials, bracelets, etc, it's obvious the Rolex is the highest quality, followed by the Breitlings and then the Omegas. In fact it's almost impossible to scratch the finish on the Rolex due to the quality of the stell they use.

But I'm not knocking Omega. My 3rd favorite watch is my Seamaster GMT "Great White" after my Rolex GMT Master (#1) and Breitling Montbrilliant Olympus (#2).

Pags

N/A
pilot
All my Omegas, Breitlings and Rolex are COSC certified so they all run +6/-3 seconds a day. But when you put them side by side and compare cases, finishes, dials, bracelets, etc, it's obvious the Rolex is the highest quality, followed by the Breitlings and then the Omegas. In fact it's almost impossible to scratch the finish on the Rolex due to the quality of the stell they use.

But I'm not knocking Omega. My 3rd favorite watch is my Seamaster GMT "Great White" after my Rolex GMT Master (#1) and Breitling Montbrilliant Olympus (#2).
Can you still get a decent price on a Rolex overseas?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Is there anybody out there who gets along with buying a $45.00USD quartz watch from Timex every few years? Anyone??

G shock. 70 bucks. Atomic signal. It keeps perfect time (literally), and I've had it since my senior year in college. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a Breitling, Omega, or a Rolex.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Better than US average?
$1000 less than MSRP. Rolex usually only sells for MSRP with very few discounts because Rolex will yank an authorized dealer's authorization in a heart beat if they catch them giving discounts. That being said, there are always ways. I bought enough Breitlings from one dealer he gave me a significantly better than Incheon price on my GMT Master but swore me to secrecy on who he is and what I paid.... Basically a long-time customer of his called wanting the watch and paid by credit card over the phone. Before picking it up, he changed his mind and got a refund. My dealer had already reported it sold to Rolex for MSRP so he had the opportunity to give it to me cheaper without Rolex being aware.

The MSRP for Rolex is the same world-wide and is set once or twice a year. Between times, if the country's currency exchange rate varies, the price varies. When I bought my GMT Master last fall, Incheon Duty free (and I assume Korea in general) was $1000 lower than the US. The price in Japan, Austrialia and the PI was $500 to $1500 higher thatn MSRP. If you buy in the duty frees you're good to go, but you have to be careful in places like Korea and PI if you buy elsewhere. Make sure it really is an authorized dealer so you don't end up with a high end conterfiet. At the authorized dealers you're safe and the easiest way is to make sure is to ensure the store is listed on the Rolex website.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Can you still get a decent price on a Rolex overseas?

Used to wear a Rolex ...IIRC, bought my first one at the Exchange in Naples in 1959 while based at Rota. Ruined it (along with my flight jscket) in Flight Training, in either '61 or '62. Me and my buddy MarCad, drunker'n hell, on his bike heading back to Whiting after a bad night out ...he hit the concrete dividers in the roadway, and over we went. I found myself flying thought the air, head first, face up, watching the stars ...hoping to hit the ground and slide to a stop before hitting a tree or anything else. I did, at the expense of my watch & jacket! He rode the bike down ...I think the meat wagon picked us up ...I was fine, he lost a week or so account hand damage.

Bought the next one in Hong Kong, 1966 ...held it til the late seventies. Timekeeping function went to heck, so sold it to a pawn shop on Federal Hwy, near Oakland Park Bvld, FLL. Owner hit it with his loupe, gave me ten bucks more than I paid for it ... I was happy, bought a Bulova something or other ...yeah, Accutron. :)

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I paid $1,750 at the Sigonella NEX for my Rolex Submariner Date.

In 1991. I think they cost a bit more now.

I wear it regularly, and it still keeps great time and looks just as good as the day I bought it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Back in the day, any activity where you spend anything more than a couple of seconds (allowing for things like football tackles, etc.) with your arms are another dude was suspect..... :eek:

However today....maybe rondebmar was just ahead of his time..... :cool:

(Just kidding rondebmar - much respect for you Tonklin Gulf Yatch Club members!)