• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old vs New Retirement System

Will you choose the New System or stick with the Old System?

• Total voters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes it is free to upgrade, but I decided not to upgrade after trying the newer OS and reading reviews. I like Mavericks more.

Really? Whatever floats your boat, but I've found El Capitan to be incredibly stable (more so than Mavericks) and a solid OS on even my old (2009) MacBook Pro. And I say that as someone who was running Snow Leopard before that, so not someone who was trying to stay on the bleeding edge.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Threadjack: Does anyone know which Presidential candidate will halt the proposed changes (ie cuts) to Tricare?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack: Does anyone know which Presidential candidate will halt the proposed changes (ie cuts) to Tricare?

I am not sure any of them care, especially since it wouldn't directly affect any of them or likely anyone close they would know.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Dumb TSP question in an only slightly related thread from somebody with the investment know-how of a can of soup:

If you hit your maximum yearly TSP contribution, will MyPay or whatever automatically stop further contributions? Or will you continue to funnel money past the limit into your TSP until the IRS knocks on your door? For that matter, how does it work with your USAA Roth IRA and the yearly IRA limit ($5,500 or whatever it is this year)?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Numbers for TSP and IRA are still $18k and $5.5k, respectively.

Also, I found this. Nothing I've seen in TSP will stop you from accidentally going over. It was easier when you could put a dollar amount instead of a percentage contribution, but they changed that recently. Of course, it comes out of your base pay only, so you could theoretically sit down with a calculator and figure out how much to contribute as a percentage of your Jan-Dec paychecks ($1500/monthly base pay). Of course, you'd have to update that percentage yearly so you don't over-contribute. Which is dumb.

I would just figure out a percentage of your paycheck that's a little less than 1500/month, maybe round down to a nice whole number, and just go with that. For example, "my friend" who's a JG passes the three-year mark around June-July, so his base pay will be 3900 for roughly half the year, 4492 for the rest of the year. That's about 4200 on average. 1500/4200=35.7ish%

You'd still have to keep an eye on it every year, but that's what one of the sections on the LES is for: seeing how much you put in TSP this year. So just check on it in like October, and adjust as necessary. If you go over, no big whoop, see article.

IRA is relatively easy, just set up an allotment from your paycheck, or a scheduled transfer from your direct deposit checking account, for $458.33. You'll be about 4 cents short of the contribution limit.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
TSP caps you at $18,000, so no fine-tuning of % should be necessary. Your IRA should let you know how much you are able to contribute when you do it. If you're using USAA for an IRA, you're doing it wrong. Open an account with someone who has lower fees - Vanguard, Schwab, whoever.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
TSP caps you at $18,000, so no fine-tuning of % should be necessary. Your IRA should let you know how much you are able to contribute when you do it. If you're using USAA for an IRA, you're doing it wrong. Open an account with someone who has lower fees - Vanguard, Schwab, whoever.

I've found that out in the last few weeks of actively trying to improve my financial management. I worked in an office for four years before OCS and had a 401(k) that I transferred over immediately after commission to USAA when I didn't really know what I was doing. Dealing with that is on my checklist, but I wanted to get my TSP moving properly first.