• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old school aocs (1973)

beaverslayer

pilot
A huge majority of those lines are repeated word for word in the more recent recruiting videos as well... guess they found what they liked and stuck with it!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A huge majority of those lines are repeated word for word in the more recent recruiting videos as well... guess they found what they liked and stuck with it!

Maybe the first "Macklin" had a son follow who followed in dad's footsteps... I wonder if Macklin III will follow suit in a few years. (I bet he gets UAVs :) )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Check out the Old School AOCS recruiting video circa 1973: http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=196017

Like someone says: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

-ea6bflyr ;)
I think it might be 'earlier' than '73 ... but in any case: IT'S GREAT !!!

Main Gate @ Mainside w/ the Southern good ol' boy rent-a-cop. PERFECT!!!

It will give you boys some kinda' picture of the 'old' C-Course (past the front of the ol' BOQ & senior Officers' Quarters) ... and the ol' O-Course (down next to the seawall by Mustin Beach O'Club) ... the swim test/course ... and what I think you call 'API' these days (we used to call it Pre-Flight) ... the prelim Parachute-landing tower (prior to doing it in P-COLA Bay off the stern of the modified LCM) ... the ol'school solo Dilbert Dunker ... and all the DI's were just returned Vietnam Marines ...

And 'Mr. Macklin' ... ??? If it's the same guy -- I was a STUD along w/ him ... :D

GREAT STUFF -- GOOD TIMES -- :)

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
If the class number they said is correct, it's from 1974 (22-74 is the class number shouted out during one of the marching scenes). Had to be later than 70/71 because the candidates in the movie who were in Indoc Battalion (Poopieville) had helmets... we didn't in either the summer of 70 (as an AVROC I) or in the fall of '71 when I returned for my second AVROC round. Also had a pic of a VF-1 F-14 at the end. Had to be later than 73 for that to be in there.

Nice pics of VF-121 Pacemakers F-4Js doing CQ (West Coast F-4 RAG in the '70s)

Ditto about the O- and C-course footage. I was back in Pensacola in the early 00's looking for the old C-course, and it's just about all gone now. Could find a little piece of it now and again, but it's all gone. Have fond memories of being splashed by the CPO's kids when we ran by the fence next to the CPO Club's pool. Have less fond memories of going through the O-course and the knee-deep sand that absolutely sapped every bit of energy you had, especially the 50-yard run to the finish line after the maze.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If the class number they said is correct, it's from 1974 (22-74 is the class number shouted out during one of the marching scenes). Had to be later than 70/71 because the candidates in the movie who were in Indoc Battalion (Poopieville) had helmets........
Hmmmmmmmmmm ... helmets were in vogue in POOPY-Ville in the late '60s ... unless they took a hiatus for a while. 'Cause I saw 'em ... :icon_smil

Mebbe' they borrowed from some earlier film for part of the 'story' ??? Or mebbe' like someone said: "the more things change .... " ???

But anyway ... pish-tosh on the details ... still 'da best !!! :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check out the Old School AOCS recruiting video circa 1973: http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=196017

Like someone says: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

-ea6bflyr ;)

Nice find, and thanks for posting. Brought back a lot of memories. And it made me want to sign up and do it all again, if I could/

battii.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... less fond memories of going through the O-course and the knee-deep sand that absolutely sapped every bit of energy you had, especially the 50-yard run to the finish line after the maze.
Shit-Oh-Dear ... after the 2nd wall (the one w/out the ropes) ... the rest was just pure 'survival' ... :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shit-Oh-Dear ... after the 2nd wall (the one w/out the ropes) ... the rest was just pure 'survival' ... :D
Strangely enough, I didn't mind the O'course too much. But not being a distance runner, the CC-course was not my favorite. I hated it.

And then in Indoc. there was some mountain of sand piled somewhere in the pines (for construction?) that the DIs made everyone run up and down until we all dropped.... most all of us near death as I recall!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... in Indoc. there was some mountain of sand piled somewhere in the pines (for construction?) that the DIs made everyone run up and down until we all dropped.... most all of us near death as I recall!

Kinda' makes you wonder where they might have gotten the idea .... :)

thehill.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kinda' makes you wonder where they might have gotten the idea .... :)

thehill.jpg

Yikes! That is exactly what it looked like, complete with guys bent over barfing and near death. The only difference was we wore our reversable orange/blue PT shirts and kahki shorts.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yikes! That is exactly what it looked like, complete with guys bent over barfing and near death. The only difference was we wore our reversable orange/blue PT shirts and kahki shorts.

pensacolaimage9.jpg
pensa11.jpg

There's some shorts & shirts for you next to the ol' gym on the quay down by the LEX ... I hated the shirts ... a L or an XL would shrink up into an XS on one washing ... so we usually went w/out or did 'whites'. 'Course I was commissioned when I did pre-flight PT ... sooooooooooooooooooooo .... BIG DIFFERENCE !!! :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pensacolaimage9.jpg
pensa11.jpg

There's some shorts & shirts for you next to the ol' gym on the quay down by the LEX ... I hated the shirts ... a L or an XL would shrink up into an XS on one washing ... so we usually went w/out or did 'whites'. 'Course I was commissioned when I did pre-flight PT ... sooooooooooooooooooooo .... BIG DIFFERENCE !!! :)

Yikes! Put some sand under those guys and it could be the basis for that beach volley-ball scene from that 'weird' topgun movie. :D

We wore the shirts. Orders. I liked 'em, even though they shrunk, big time. I'd even buy one today if they still made 'em. They soaked up the sweat.

You were lucky to have been commissioned. As an AVROC, I was just a cottage-cheese-head mostly civilian college sophomore bozo who had little idea which way was up at the time. Fortunately, I broke the code, rapidly. :eek: