• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OKC

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The tornado went down my street. I was with my Flight Surgeon who had a shelter. I haven't heard anything from the other folks in VQ-3. My town is gone... It's a weird feeling.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is your house still standing? Thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and squadronmates.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I am on the road, wife and youngest went down into the shelter and heard it go by. Other kids were in school. Things are bad...missed us by about half a mile and totally took out my JO pad, which was next door to one of the schools that got destroyed.
The death toll is climbing...that area has exploded with population growth in the last decade. God help those parents who are waiting for news on their kids being dug out of that school down the road.
Living in OKC is always dicey in the month of May.
Several squadron members have had their houses totally destroyed, like wiped off the map.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Sat down to dinner with my wife and son tonight with CNN on in the background. Heartbreaking and gut wrenching to see images of that school, and the whole town for that matter. If and when you guys catch wind of Navy families in need, please $end a PM.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Thoughts and prayers to those families affected in Moore and elsewhere. Just terrible.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Would like to donate to any Navy families in need as well. God Bless Oklahoma.

Renegade One

None
Lesson on "first reports", I guess. When I turned on the national news at 0430 this morning, the death toll was "confirmed" at 91 and expected to climb. At 1000..it's 24. "One of these things is not like the other."

Neither is good, you understand, but where does the BS reporting come from?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My understanding that one report is simple body counts and the other is confirmed dead by the medical examiner.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
R1,

Having actually been through that area, I cannot fault anyone for confusion. What you are seeing on the Nat'l news absolutely does not do it justice. There was a certain amount of sensationalism which is sickening, but the initial reports to the state medical examiner were apparently duplicated. If anything we should be grateful that more were not killed. There was practically no warning.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
R1 and E6B both make good points. That being said, I think what we saw with Boston Marathon bombing, and again yesterday is that there is very little media accountability for bad gouge. They can get it wrong, change it, and we all still watch... Interestingly, I can't find a report on the interwebs critical of mainstream media's (CNN/Faux News) sensational and erroneous reporting last night.

I can understand that there is A LOT of confusion on the ground in OK right now, but I firmly believe the media must understand that speak with a loud voice. In a perfect world they would hold off on releasing "death tolls" until they actually new what they were talking about. Unfortunately, we're a nation that watches monster truck and NASCAR races for the wrecks - the death toll reports move the peg. Sad.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Text REDCROSS to 90999 and donate $10 off your cell phone bill. It's at least something.
Not a huge fan of the Red Cross and the way in which they handled donations in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Maybe NMCRS for the Navy Families in and around Tinker is the way to go.