• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OK. TEAM. Who fired the missile near the SoCal OpArea?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's probably just a standard jet contrail seen from just the right angle in that area to appear as a missile.

I dunno man, that is real thick, and there is a very clear burning fire at the top of it.....would be a pretty bizarre emergency for any aircraft to be burning that much, and flying at that apparent attitude/parabola.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I thought the same thing Jac. MAYBE that flicker of light is ambient light being reflected by an aircraft hull or wings, but it sure does look like a rocket burning.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you look more closely, you can kind of see a point where it gets brighter, which would seem like staging to me. It was in fact NOTAM'd for the time period of the shot (sfc-unlimited), so I'm guessing someone just didn't get the memo.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If there was a NOTAM, why is the FAA in the news saying,"Que?"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If there was a NOTAM, why is the FAA in the news saying,"Que?"

Here they are:
KZLA LOS ANGELES (ARTCC)PALMDALE, CA.
!SUAW 11/102 (KZLA A2840/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W532S ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091600-1011100300
!SUAW 11/101 (KZLA A2839/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W532N ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091600-1011100300
!SUAW 11/100 ZLA AIRSPACE W532E ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091600-1011100300
!SUAW 11/084 (KZLA A2837/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W61 ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091530-1011100300
!SUAW 11/083 (KZLA A2838/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W60 ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091530-1011100300
!SUAW 11/082 (KZLA A2836/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W290 ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091530-1011100300
!SUAW 11/081 (KZLA A2835/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W289N ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091530-1011100300
!SUAW 11/080 (KZLA A2834/10) ZLA AIRSPACE W289 ACT SFC-UNL WEF 1011091530-1011100300

No idea about the answer you your question though certainly

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I saw a similar thing @ 10 years ago when on a Trans-PAC from NRT-LAX.

It was an early morning ABM shot from Vandenberg and we knew about it in advance. With the sun rising from the east and us approaching the California coast from Japan -- it looked very much like this 'shot' -- the 'con' went up, was colored by the sunrise, turned a little (course guidance) ... and then disappeared over the visible horizon.
Con's from another aircraft, when seen at altitude, don't look like this or follow a trajectory like this ...

I obviously don't 'KNOW' ... but having seen this example, and some others ... my money is (and always will be) on a missile shot for various reasons. My only questions are: who did it, what was it, and why is everyone giving the Mexican AF salute when asked about it ??

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I saw a similar thing @ 10 years ago when on a Trans-PAC from NRT-LAX.

It was an early morning ABM shot from Vandenberg and we knew about it in advance. With the sun rising from the east and us approaching the California coast from Japan -- it looked very much like this 'shot' -- the 'con' went up, was colored by the sunrise, turned a little (course guidance) ... and then disappeared over the visible horizon.
Con's from another aircraft, when seen at altitude, don't look like this or follow a trajectory like this ...

I obviously don't 'KNOW' ... but having seen this example, and some others ... my money is (and always will be) on a missile shot for various reasons. My only questions are: who did it, what was it, and why is everyone giving the Mexican AF salute when asked about it ??

Chinese trying to scare us? (dons tin foil hat)

Or maybe the boat det moved north and the Shuttle got it's first cat shot :)

If this was a missile, how come no one has said they heard it?

Btw A4 I agree with what you written, that trajectory does reminds me of an SLBM or a ICBM launch.

I am not saying I think its the French, I am just using this video to illustrate that it looks liked a SLBM launch, Its probably not. It just that it looks like one.

ryan1234

Here they are:

No idea about the answer you your question though certainly

Are those times pretty accurate to the "launch"? I think the "launch" was actually Monday night... not sure that NOTAM pertains to the launch time.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Has anyone heard from China, Iran, or N. Korea? Did President Obama just 'Bush Doctrine' one of those countries?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Some college kids who made a rocket for their school project are crapping their pants right now...