• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oh my God if this is true I will be really happy.

jericho334

Well I've heard that both the Navy and Marines are offering contact waivers. You can fly with up to 20/400 uncorrected. First you'll need an initial eye exam, with some paperwork for the military, then wear contacts for 6 months and get another eye exam. Provided your second eye exam goes well, you'll be waivered.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
standby

The contact waiver for the Navy is a work in progress. That is, the provisions have been promulgated by NAMI. but the actual procedure for dealing with it has yet to come out of CNRC. It is expected any day. The word is that, unlike the PRK waiver, the contact lens waiver will be considered by the board. That means that if there is one spot and two applicants that look the same but one has 20/20 and the other a contact lens waiver, the job goes to the guy with 20/20. That isn't the way the PRK waiver is handled. Got a PRK waiver and it is like you never had the surgery at all. Can't say what the rational is for that. We have to wait until CNRC sends the tablets down from the mountain. Until then, talk to your recruiter. Don't believe anything else you read here unless it is referenced to a CNRC directive or message. You can also ignore anything NAMI has to say about it because they are not the folks selecting young people to become naval officers. That would be CNRC.

jericho334

Yeah thats true but by the time I am eligable to fly it will be 2012 anyway, and maybe it will be a common waiver, and I've heard of many people who get the PRK surgery and get DQ for having the surgery.

ItsTurboTime

jericho334 said:
...and I've heard of many people who get the PRK surgery and get DQ for having the surgery.

How has that happened?

Also, by 2012, LASIK may be approved. I've never flown an airplane (yet) but I don't think I'd want to do it with contacts. I wore contacts for several years and when (not if) they'd give me a problem like an eyelash under them or if it just comes out, I doubt I'd want to have to do a night carrier landing.

I do reccomend PRK. 36 hours of drugged misery for crystal clear vision. My recovery is going quite well.

SpiderUSMC

ItsTurboTime said:
I do reccomend PRK. 36 hours of drugged misery for crystal clear vision. My recovery is going quite well.

Good to hear Turbo. Mine has gotten quiet clear the past few days. (This is Denikes from Marineocs.com)

jericho334

ItsTurboTime said:
How has that happened?

Also, by 2012, LASIK may be approved. I've never flown an airplane (yet) but I don't think I'd want to do it with contacts. I wore contacts for several years and when (not if) they'd give me a problem like an eyelash under them or if it just comes out, I doubt I'd want to have to do a night carrier landing.

I'm not really sure but I've heard from guys in ROTC, say that they witnessed someone who did the PRK and got disqualified from getting a pilot slot, trust me I do think PRK is the way to go but its still a little risky if you get a bad doctor with not so good equipment he can disqualify you from your pilot slot, but I think as long as you get permission from your recruiter first your set. By the way your right I wear contacts and they are a pain in the ass, but if I can get a waiver for wearing them then I'll wear it evereyday and make sure they're super clean. lol

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jericho334 said:
Nope I graduate in 2007, I'm only 16.
19 is the minimum age to be commissioned. And since you need to be commissioned in order start training as a pilot or NFO, you only need to be 19 (i.e. 2009). However, there is that little thing of a college degree you need too.