• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Official Report, strike on hospital in Kunduz

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I am posting this to save other folks time in case they are looking for this report. I actually took a long time to find a link to it. I haven't read it yet, so no commentary.

https://www6.centcom.mil/foia_rr/FO...uma Center in Kunduz Afghanistan - 3 Oct 2015

On a side note, all the people making noise about how this is a "war crime" make it readily apparent they don't know anything about the law of armed conflict, etc.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
On a side note, all the people making noise about how this is a "war crime" make it readily apparent they don't know anything about the law of armed conflict, etc.

Or really anything about law or armed conflict or basic ethics.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
JTAC fucked it away big time. Playing a tough game of telephone from afghans -> interpreter -> US commander -> JTAC -> AC-130, but that's no excuse. Multiple significant fuck ups.

Aircrew had the alarm bells in the back of their head, but only asked for "clarification" then let the JTAC walk them down the path. After the talk on they re-designated the target putting them 400m away from initial designation in one direction, and 400m away from the badly correlated target in another direction. 400m in the desert is 1 thing, but 400m in an urban environment is truly cause for concern. I can understand how they could have been a little discombobulated. They launched 1+00 early because of a TIC, but the TIC was over once they got airborne. They lost a comm system that is a major part of how they operate. Then they question the appropriateness of what the JTAC wants and he changes his story from "softening up the target prior to the assault" to "collective self defense ROE." Lots of debrief points on this one.

Sorry for the interruption. Back to ASTB scores and letters of rec...