• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officers rooms on a carrier?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The boat sucks. The rooms suck. The hot water is sporadic. The food is mediocre to suckage. The working hours suck. The noise sucks. SWOs suck. The smell sucks.

Man I miss it!
After a few days underway, the smell goes away. If your room sucks then the wardroom officer doesn't like you. What working hours....it's 24/7 on the carrier. Never had a problem with hot water. Then again, I owned it. If you have a problem with SWO's on a carrier, then you're doing something wrong. Aviators own the carrier.

Lawman

None
Ok so for the Marine side (If any are still reading this) whats life like on the L-Ships. All Ive heard so far is that hot water is bad to non-existant.

snake020

Contributor
So if there are 2 female aviators on the carrier, do they get the same accomodations 8 guys would share?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So if there are 2 female aviators on the carrier, do they get the same accomodations 8 guys would share?

No. In fact, last cruise, between the squadrons there were like...5 JO girls, so they all got put in a 6-man...or 6-person room, if you will.

Dradz

None
Wherever you get stuck, make sure you know where the hollywood showers are!

....once you go 'hollywood,' you never go back!

OldNavy

They're huge!

I watched exactly 10 minutes of 1 episode of JAG (by mistake) and when the Marine "orderly" showed the star (hell, I don't even know his name) to his temporary stateroom on a CVN, it was the size of the Captain's in-port cabin and had a porthole!

See all the things I missed down in the Goat Locker?

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
In ref to the question about the L-class ships, it's tough for me to compare since my big-deck time comprises a grand total of 90 minutes on the TR during my initial CQ eating lunch (went foul deck for something, I don't remember. It could have been a sea monster for all I know).

The quarters sound similar to the other posts, mostly 4 man staterooms for the JO's, occasionally 6 man, but some guys occasionally found themselves mixed in with the grunts/intel types. I second the earlier comment about leadership, some boats feel like they've got it together a provide a great (well... adequate) place to live, others couldn't care less.

Lawman

None
In ref to the question about the L-class ships, it's tough for me to compare since my big-deck time comprises a grand total of 90 minutes on the TR during my initial CQ eating lunch (went foul deck for something, I don't remember. It could have been a sea monster for all I know).

The quarters sound similar to the other posts, mostly 4 man staterooms for the JO's, occasionally 6 man, but some guys occasionally found themselves mixed in with the grunts/intel types. I second the earlier comment about leadership, some boats feel like they've got it together a provide a great (well... adequate) place to live, others couldn't care less.

Follow up question for the L boats, do they try and room you by unit/designator or is it just put all the officers in a room despite if they are air/ground/intel/ect.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Each subordinate unit has blocks of rooms, all the ACE types together, all the grunt types together etc.

Within that group most Composite squadrons purposely mix up TMS guys within rooms, my lasy float was 2 Phrog guys and a Harrier guy. One of each flavor is what the goal is. 1st pump guys with 1st pump guys and so on up the food chain.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I always did well on the stateroom assignments ... 'cause I always got down "early" for the workups (LSO -- to wave) and I surveyed the rooms allotted the squadron with instructions to "report back" ....

My squadron room debriefs went something like this: "This one's O.K., this one's crap, this one is really not too bad .... " etc., etc., ... of course, I would always pocket one of the best for myself. They NEVER caught on (unbelieveable:)) ... and I always
had one down in "sleepy hollow" opposite Air Ops (convenient) and the air conditioning ALWAYS worked (if it worked anywhere on the ship) ... close to the dirty shirt mess (yummy!!!) .... with a semi-private head one bulkhead away and a nearby void space ... a.k.a. a good place to hide my ... "refreshments".

If you gotta be on a BOAT ... be the LSO .... otherwise ... be one of the maddening crowd. :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Lincoln (1x): 03-92-4L 2 man...very near the #2 JBD on the O-3 level...could be loud...local to everything a JO needs

Had the same room on TR for two cruises. It was a two man phone booth but it was a two man anyway! Had the JBD drain running through it and some valve backed up and excessed about a gallon and a half of nice fresh JBD drain water into my roomies lower bunk one night. :(