• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officers age

LooseCannon

I will be just turning 30yrs old when i get my commison would that be considered old for a O-1, or not far from the average age. Im prior service so thats why im getting a late start.

nugget81

pilot
You'll likely be older than your same-ranked peers (heck even I'm one of the oldest 0-1's in my squadron at 27), but that's neither here nor there. Don't worry about it. Work hard and do your best.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I will be just turning 30yrs old when i get my commison would that be considered old for a O-1, or not far from the average age. Im prior service so thats why im getting a late start.
I consider it "old" for an O-1....just do what I do, tell everyone you are 27......it works until my wife calls me out on it or people realize that is what I told them the year before:D

Brunes

pilot
Yeah.....That would make you old for an O-1. Not the oldest ever- and it doesn't really matter.

I've seen guy's that old as O-1/2's and they can screw a football like a monkey jsut as good as the rest of us!!

Plus I'm guessing that you've got some experience with the military from your past life, eh??

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You'll see all kinds. The prior 1st classes+ will be the 30-ish year olds, so you will not be alone.

Then there's guys like me who graduated early, had virtually no wait times in the TRACOM who will be winged just after turning 23. Heck, I think once in a while there are even guys as young as 19/20 in flight school.

If I see a butter/silver bar, rarely do I consider how old they are. They are a fellow JO. You'll become good friends and study partners with guys of all ages.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
We have 3 Ensigns on our ship that are 31 29 and myself at 28. Don't sweat the age thing. I like being a bit older since I can make "kids these days" statements like an old man.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Heck, I think once in a while there are even guys as young as 19/20 in flight school.
There is a kid in Meridian who is 20....and he went through TBS...A friend of mine is a F-16 ANG guy who was rated in the jet at age 20.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
is there any point to this thread?

Yep - "name the oldest ensign you know / were in class with / heard about at 31 Flavors from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend".

I was 34 at comissioning. I was in DIRCOM school with a guy who was 50.... (!)

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Yep - "name the oldest ensign you know / were in class with / heard about at 31 Flavors from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend".

I was 34 at comissioning. I was in DIRCOM school with a guy who was 50.... (!)

Beat this, an Army tanker re-tread went to my TBS class as a 40 year old 1stLt! He spent most of his time as Army enlisted, then went officer. Figured he could do better in the Marines and got the switch. I could only imagine how many waivers he had to get!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
There is a JG on board who is about 40-45 range. Enlisted later in life and got commissioned.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LooseCannon,
Don't sweat it. It's more common than you think. I was a 30 YO Ensign. Just be prepared to get saluted by those with no chest candy. Instead of stopping them and explaining that I was a fellow JO, I just returned the salute and kept moving. Anyway, now I am a 43 YO Hinge...and I kind of blend in with all the OLD O-4s.

-ea6bflyr ;)

S.O.B.

pilot
I've seen some reserve junior enlisted that are old as crap. We had a reserve AD2 that had to be in his 60s; called him blue, and yes he was legit.