• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Reserve to Active Duty Officer... What are the chances?

DoubleOswo7

I was a candidate for OCS this year. A late to the party candidate as I turn 29 in March. I have exhausted all efforts to go OCS from civilian. My only choices now are DCO Supply Corps and then apply for active duty or enlist and drop packet. I have heard now that it is REALLY HARD to go from USNR to USN. My main goal is to be active duty. My packet was competitive for OCS Supply and now my ORR says my packet is even more competitive for Reserve Officer Supply. However if I never go active I'm not sure if I should. My second choice is to enlist and drop packet that way. Anyone have any idea on the age requirement to be picked up for OCS while enlisted? I hear 34/35/36 with waivers? Any insight would help, board is in February for USNR and I'm making a decision right there and then.

Maybe better in the OCS thread? Check out chapter 4 of OPNAVINST 1420.1 (prior enlisted commissioning programs). It lists the age requirements and something like "possible waiver age". I believe the waivers are usually month for month for prior service time. So, if you went to the enlisted recruiter today and and got shipped prior to your 29th, you'd be in a "holding pattern" for two years or so. I think some of the more specialized communities will let you come on a bit older.

FWIW:
1) we had a few (prior service) 35-yo guys in my OCS class.
2) You're rolling the dice enlisting first; I think most of your superiors would love to help you out, but it would have to be handled well on your part. Just be careful not to show up and say "no need to put me on the watchbill. Just draft up an LOR and I'll be out of your hair in a few months."
3) I saw a canvass recently for SWOs to get back on active duty. There's an application process and a board, so it's possible.
4) Once you learn how the reserves work, you can take some long term mobilizations, take a few months off, then repeat. I haven't done it myself, but I've seen it done, and it almost seems like a better deal than active duty as you have more control over your assignments. You can do cushy CONUS shore-duty type stuff, or GWOT gun and cammo stuff.
5) It sounds to me like you should get in. Supply always sounded horrible to me personally, but I understand now it's a great gig. Get your foot in the door now would be my advice!

Good luck either way!

DoubleOswo7

Maybe better in the OCS thread? Check out chapter 4 of OPNAVINST 1420.1 (prior enlisted commissioning programs). It lists the age requirements and something like "possible waiver age". I believe the waivers are usually month for month for prior service time. So, if you went to the enlisted recruiter today and and got shipped prior to your 29th, you'd be in a "holding pattern" for two years or so. I think some of the more specialized communities will let you come on a bit older.

FWIW:
1) we had a few (prior service) 35-yo guys in my OCS class.
2) You're rolling the dice enlisting first; I think most of your superiors would love to help you out, but it would have to be handled well on your part. Just be careful not to show up and say "no need to put me on the watchbill. Just draft up an LOR and I'll be out of your hair in a few months."
3) I saw a canvass recently for SWOs to get back on active duty. There's an application process and a board, so it's possible.
4) Once you learn how the reserves work, you can take some long term mobilizations, take a few months off, then repeat. I haven't done it myself, but I've seen it done, and it almost seems like a better deal than active duty as you have more control over your assignments. You can do cushy CONUS shore-duty type stuff, or GWOT gun and cammo stuff.
5) It sounds to me like you should get in. Supply always sounded horrible to me personally, but I understand now it's a great gig. Get your foot in the door now would be my advice!

Good luck either way!

Thanks! Yes its just tough with the timing and age to figure out exactly my play here. But you think taking the Officer Reserve Supply choice would be a good route? I would love nothing more than to be a Naval Officer ( I know it would be reserve but still a very proud moment for myself). I think you are correct about getting the foot in the door. I live in Tampa and through my process have been networking and making a lot of friends/connections at SOCOM from Captains, Commander and LTCDR's all who are willing to help me 100% and some within the Supply field. Actually two one is out of SOCOM and the other is out of NAVSUP in Mayport.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just a heads up, but you generally get a month for month waiver if you enlist, so enlisting after your civilian age cut off would probably do you no good. Do you only want supply? There are other options if your age precludes you from going supply. I think going reserve with the intent of switching over to active duty is probably setting yourself up for failure. Especially with the military downsizing.

I think going reserve with the intent of switching over to active duty is probably setting yourself up for failure. Especially with the military downsizing.

Yeah, I agree...sort of. I have to admit that I'm sort of a snob. If somebody does 20 years which consists of *only* his weekend drills and ATs, I don't really consider that person "in the club". But you can go reserves, and basically MOB at your convenience. Xmid is right that there's downsizing, but it seems like there's still plenty of demand for one year (or longer) MOBs.

It seems to me your best bet is to go USNR Supply Corps. I imagine you'll have to wait four years (until you're on O-3) to MOB, but you might be able to do it as an O-2. At that point, you can get "it" out of your system. It's tough to reflect the tone sometimes in the written word, but I don't consider "get 'it' it out of your system" a pejorative comment. Many of us felt the desire to serve, to deploy, and contribute, and once we'd done that our goals changed.

Your job should be waiting for you when you get back, or if it's not you can use it as a springboard to something new. Either way, it sounds like something you should do *now*, rather than just sort of wondering about what might have been if you missed the opportunity.

If you go supply, it seems to me like one of the cool things about that community is that you can float around all the communities. But, in my experience, NSW commands tend to be pretty cool, even if you're supporting them and not on the front lines. It sounds like you've got a good line on an NSW command, and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

DIVO

For officers - we do not get month to month waivers -- we have max ages - some exceptions. For Supply - waivers are usually to 31 - up to 35 for EXCEPTIONAL sailors. I am not sure who decides if you are exceptionalor not.

DCO/Reserves -- a tough board to get accepted to - and just as tough to go Active from the Reserves. As a reservist, there are opportunities to do active duty time, all while still coded as a reservist, meaning working towards that reserve retirement. Indefinite recalls are rare and every year there is an FTS board (meaning becoming Full Active Duty, but jobs are limited) and that is extremely competitive.

I have also heard from several new Supply ENS that the school is TOUGH. I had one guy almost quit -but we convinced him that life is way better after Supply school...

Bottom line is apply for DCO - if you get it, great, if you don't and still want to serve --enlist. Best best though might be enlisting in the Reserves, as you can apply for DCO again, and again and again.

azguy

None
I'm not an expert on reserve commissioning programs, but I know that going active duty enlisted to officer is tough and takes years. Don't know about reserve O to AD O, but it sounds like it's a long shot too.

What is your real goal here? If you have to choose, would you rather: a) serve on active duty as enlisted, or b) be an officer in the reserves? If you want to actually "do shit" and feel like you're making a difference- enlist- being a reserve supply officer will probably be a disappointment for you. If you want the "prestige" of wearing an officer's crest, then take the reserve commission.