• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Candidate Uniform Questions

AlphaTango

To all current/former NSI, BOOST, and NROTC officer candidates,

I am writing in order to gain information and start a discussion about the NWU as it pertains to those listed in the greeting. I was picked up for STA-21 FY08, attended BOOST/NSI in 09' and am currently at an NROTC unit. Please correct me if my facts are wrong as this is only an exploratory thread.

As I understand it, the Navy began filtering dollar amounts in FY07 to enlisted members iot allow for sufficient funds to pay for NWU upon completion of evaluation and implementation (mandated nlt 31DEC10 see link http://navy-uniform-regulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/NewsgramNov2009.pdf) With that said, if accepted in 08', 09' or 10' is it wrong to assume that some members did not receive the full amount needed iot purchase a full sea bag of four trousers, tops, boots, socks, parka ect...??

While I was at NSI I was made to purchase four (4) sets of the new, pre-pressed khaki uniforms in addition to the standard officer sea bag (sdb's, choker whites, ect). I received no addt'l monies to offset cost of NWU

I'll be checking my past LES's for the time period in question, however I do not believe OC's in the STA-21 program are eligible for uniform allowances. Is this the case? If so, can the Navy require that I maintain a full sea bag of the NWU, as per the link listed above, if I did not receive the money due to the acceptance into the program and termination of uniform allowances?

I only ask because the unit is mandating all OC's maintain a full enlisted sea bag with the NWU's. Financial inconsistencies aside, does anyone know of an instruction, NAVADMIN, NSI gouge, or "word" that has been or is currently being put out that may help answer some of these questions?

We have a few guys/gals commissioning in May that are extremely concerned with purchasing a full sea bag allotment of NWU's with enlisted rank/insignia only to order new rank devices after commissioning.

Please feel free to provide guidance, suggestions, comments or concerns (both neg and pos). See attached NAVADMIN requiring all enlisted members have full sea bag of NWU's. Do OC's fall into this or should/do they fall into the section wherein "officer requirements" is discussed?

NAVADMIN

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/026FB28D-7743-42F9-A926-4ECE394C953E/0/NAV10299.txt

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Its a hard line, as OCs fall into their own catagory.

but yes, upon acceptance of STA-21 you cease to get uniform allowances and therefore are not required to maintain an enlisted seabag (why would you get NWUs with the enlisted insignia that you are not allowed to wear?). I can find the allotment instruction tomorrow after I get out of school.

After commissioning there is a commissioning uniform allotment you should get to cover new devices and such, that is given to all commissionees no matter what the path (Have to look at my past LES to find the amount)

jtmedli

pilot
Its a hard line, as OCs fall into their own catagory.

but yes, upon acceptance of STA-21 you cease to get uniform allowances and therefore are not required to maintain an enlisted seabag (why would you get NWUs with the enlisted insignia that you are not allowed to wear?). I can find the allotment instruction tomorrow after I get out of school.

After commissioning there is a commissioning uniform allotment you should get to cover new devices and such, that is given to all commissionees no matter what the path (Have to look at my past LES to find the amount)

I think it's around 600$ if it's the same thing I'm thinking about.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
First of all, it's fucking ridiculous that your command is making you buy NWU's with enlisted rank on them.

We don't even know how to spell NWU at ODU, so there is no requirement to have them any time soon for us. I and my staff bought a set to wear during O-Week, but that was voluntary. We wore our OC rank pinned on them (like the Corps) with gold name tapes.

I was picked up FY07, and remember getting that initial stipend to begin offsetting the cost. After BOOST they cut it off and I never saw any more allowances. When we went through NSI, NWU's were not yet mandatory fleetwide and NSI issued us four sets of wash khakis. If that was what was issued, and paid for with your NSI uniform allowance, that is what I would lobby for with the chain of command. At the very least, I would beg the command to understand that NWU's are about $110 all said and done and that 4 sets is a little heavy to come up with last minute.

EM1

Regulations for Officer development 901.e (8) http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/nstc_Directives/NSTC_Instructions/NSTCINST%201533.2%20-%20Regulations%20for%20Officer%20Development%20for%20NROTC.pdf
(8) Uniform Allowance. Per the DoD FMR Volume 7a (Chapter 29-30), STA-21 students are not authorized the annual enlisted uniform allowance once they are participating in a commissioning program. During the first week at the Naval Science Institute (NSI), students report to the uniform shop and receive a full sea bag of items listed on the NSI Uniform Requirements List. Items not available during issue are ordered immediately. Male students receive a $1200 uniform allowance and female students receive a $1400 uniform allowance approximately one month following uniform issue. Students are required to pay their Navy Exchange (NEX) uniform shop accounts prior to graduating from NSI.

DOD FMR volume 7a chapter 29
section 290204 special clothing allotment for entry to a Officer commissioning program
section 290301 denies the annual uniform allowance for enlisted members in a commissioning program

OPNAVINST 1420.1 defines STA-21 selectees as "officer candidates". not only do enlisted uniform allotments stop, but so do special enlisted pays and re-enlistment bonuses. Other than for pay (which is more of a convenience thing for the Navy) you are an Officer Candidate. The statement of understanding signed and maintained in the service record states "
I am volunteering for the Seaman to Admiral- 21 Commissioning Program (STA-21) as a ....... Option Officer Candidate"

IMO, if they wanted you to be enlisted, like the Marines, you should get an annual clothing allottment AND be given the ability to wear your enlisted rating and uniforms.

Under the uniform requlations, Active seabag requirements list section, there is a specific page for Officer Candidate uniform requirements.
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/58E073B2-BB89-49E8-8F85-D89FB8D1D7F8/0/seabagActive.pdf
NWU uniform components are not listed at all for OCs.

I know at our unit for outside physical events, OCs were forced to wear Marine boots and utes with the old style Navy PT shirt to distinguish us from the Marines and Marine options. Mids didnt get NWUs and they wanted everyone "uniform" in appearance.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Good Info...
[/FONT]

Long time no see!

We (the OCs at KU NROTC) are actually having a uniform inspection within the next few weeks in our NWUs. Not all of us had/have them but are being forced to come up with a pair quickly. The reason we got from our LTs is everyone received the NWU stipend sometime in the past and since the 31DEC2010 deadline has come and gone we are all required to have the new uniform now. We are not arguing or complaining as they are not forcing us to buy 4 pairs, only one for a just in case situation. Also, the guys that already have their enlisted ranking and name tape on their NWU aren't being forced to update to gold. Those of us buying new uniforms are getting gold however.

You posted some interesting information (which I'm sure if you were still here would things would get very interesting) that could be useful but like I said we only have to buy 1 pair. Only a few of us didn't have them anyways, the new arrivals of STA-21 all did. The strange thing about being forced to buy/have them is we can't wear them anywhere on campus which is another argument all on its own.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
My command allowed the OCs to choose what we wanted to do. We did exactly what Wlawr said. We pinned OC rank on the collar and cover.

Something else that is interesting: If you are like Wlawr and I and got wash khakis the Navy actually gives you $600 dollars upon commissioning to get the NWU. I had two separate initial clothing allowances on the first check after I commissioned. One was $400 and the other was $200.

First of all, it's fucking ridiculous that your command is making you buy NWU's with enlisted rank on them.

We don't even know how to spell NWU at ODU, so there is no requirement to have them any time soon for us. I and my staff bought a set to wear during O-Week, but that was voluntary. We wore our OC rank pinned on them (like the Corps) with gold name tapes.

I was picked up FY07, and remember getting that initial stipend to begin offsetting the cost. After BOOST they cut it off and I never saw any more allowances. When we went through NSI, NWU's were not yet mandatory fleetwide and NSI issued us four sets of wash khakis. If that was what was issued, and paid for with your NSI uniform allowance, that is what I would lobby for with the chain of command. At the very least, I would beg the command to understand that NWU's are about $110 all said and done and that 4 sets is a little heavy to come up with last minute.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That's awesome, I never knew we got $600 when we commissioned.

Congrats on the little one bro, see you in Pcola soon.

EM1

AC2-hope all is well back there and that you're warm enough.

The LT's are right and wrong. If you were selected after FY07 you got part of the special allotment, but not all of it. It was spread out over multiple years and combined with the annual allowance. depending on when you (or others) were selected you possibly only got enough of an allowance to cover half the NWU, a cover, and a few sets of PT gear as explained in the following article

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/12/navy_clothing_071202w/

I looked back at it and yes, you get 2 clothing allotments at commission. If you read the instructions I linked to above they explain why.

edit: I just remembered they messed up and gave me the annual allowance when I reported to KU. As expected, they took it right back

CTT1 D

ENS D
That's awesome, I never knew we got $600 when we commissioned.

Congrats on the little one bro, see you in Pcola soon.

That's good news indeed, I hadn't heard of the uniform allowance either.

BT
You were selected FY-08... just sayin.