• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Application? Flight Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ander37

K-rock
Hello,
Got a couple of questions. Does anyone have the marine officer application (in an emailable format)? Also, when you apply for an air contract, do most people already have a PPL or do they mostly have 0 hours?
I want to get a head start on all this stuff before I talk to a recruiter, that is why I ask. :)

Thanks.

sublime259

Your OSO will basically walk you through the whole application. It's not like applying for a job where there are a couple pieces of paper, instead you have a whole folder full of papers that basically just have to be read and signed. If you want to get things done ASAP, then contact your OSO!!! The toughest part of the application is figuring out everything you did/everywhere you lived for the past 5(?) years. As for flying, I have my commercial licence with about 170 hours, but I know a lot of people who have been accepted without any...so I dont think it holds too much weight.

Broadsword2004

For one, I wouldn't put an OSO in the same leagues as a typical recruiter, if that is what you mean. An OSO won't try to get you to sign something right off the dot, like some recruiters might.

Also, no, from what I have learnt, it shouldn't mean jack if you've had any prior flight time. The military will train you.

ander37

K-rock
I didn't mean to say OSO's were bad or anything, I just wanted to see by chance if anyone had the app on their own computer. I am in the process of finding an OSO, I was just thinkin ahead.

Thanks for the replies.

Broadsword2004

Jarhead is usually a derogatory term people will give to enlisted Marines sometimes, usually people who have never been in the military and are disrespectful.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Fligth Time vs. No Flight Time

What's more important than your flight time or not having flight time is your PFT score. If you have a whole lot of flight time and run a 225 PFT you're not going anywhere. Talk to your OSO. If you show up with a bunch of fill out documents out of the blue, he'll probably think there's something wrong with you.

erinbynight

erinbynight
I disagree with you, broadsword. I'm sure jarhead is used derogatorily, but most marines I know are damn proud to them, and usually look fondly on the term.

Broadsword2004

Well yeah, Marines themselves don't mind the term, but I mean people still use the term "some damn dumb jarhead..." etc....whenever someone wants to knock a Marine, it seems the term "jarhead" comes into the phrase, at least from what I have read.

That may not be the case most of the time.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
I just have a quick question. If flight time doesn't matter than WHY DO THEY ASK YOU? I have 125 hours and my OSO seemed to think that it would improve my chances for selection because I have shown an interest in aviation for a while, not just that I saw TOP GUN last month and decided I wanted to fly for the services. Don't take that comment the wrong way, it in no way is meant to insult anyone, I'm just trying to make a point. It just seems to me that if it didn't matter they wouldn't even ask. I didn't get asked my favorite food or color, because THOSE don't matter. So why ask if they don't weigh it in at least a little. My advice, if you like flying go get your license, it can't hurt.

Crowbar

None
I guess I missed where somebody said flight time didn't matter. I did see somebody say that it is less important than PFT, though.

It is probably used to determine if you will have to complete IFS or not ($$$). Just a guess...

Shadow9660

Exactly, because nobody was saying that it DIDNT matter, just that its one more thing to help like higher GPA, ASTB scores etc.... also, that Top Gun remark IS a little insulting, because you cant pass the ASTB on wishing and hoping/ or watching Top Gun movies; and while some candidates do have flight time, pretty much every candidate MUST have a substantial aptitude AND knowledge of aviation. Just wanted to clarify there.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
"it shouldn't mean jack if you've had any prior flight time." That was taken from a couple of responses up. Look, i think you took the TOP GUN remark the wrong way. I wasn't saying it gives aircraft knowledge! Read it again. Also I realize that the ASTB, PFT, GPA, LOR all matter a ton. The author of this thread asked if most people had flight time. I was responding with some do, some don't, but I was encouraging the author if he/she likes aviation, to go get a PPL. Its worth it, and it certainly doesn't hurt your chances.

Crowbar

None
The person who says it "shouldn't mean jack" hasn't so much as applied to OCS. What has everybody else here been saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.