• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October Boards: PRT?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I just saw a post on usnavyocs.com by a Lt. who is an OPO saying that effective immediately, passing PRT's are required before your package can go to a board. Apparently too many people are failing the in-PRT's and getting rolled into H company.

I called my OSO to confirm and so far he says it's "unofficial", yet he has heard of it. He's trying to nail down if this will apply to those of us who already sent in a package this month, but I suggest anyone going to this month's boards to start preparing to run a PRT within the next week or so just in case. If anyone gets confirmation of this please post it here and I'll do the same.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
^^Thanks jskibo

Update:

I just got the call from the recruiter, he needs me to come in next week for the PRT. He's still not sure if my package will make it to the board though for October, I would assume so otherwise it will be a small board considering this just came out and not many people going to the boards have done a PRT.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I just called NRD Seattle to see what was up with this new instruction. They told me that they think if the package was already in the mail, it is ok (in my case). They sent a message looking for confirmation but haven't heard back yet. I doubt any of us will make the October 15th board if we had to do the PRT still. On top of that, they said the instruction says we have to be medically cleared by MEPS.

-Ken

tiger84

LT
pilot
This seems like a good way to go. Way too many people came into OCS in less than ideal physical condition and subsequently paid the price, along with the rest of their class, for their lack of preparation. There is absolutely no excuse for an aspiring naval officer to fail the PRT, so this would at least show the boards that the applicants have at least a little motivation.

badger16

None
Finished my application early and was going to try and get it out the the October boards but just got word from my recruiter that I need to go down to Great Lakes in a week to do my PRT and medical physical. My guess is that anybody who hasn't sent their package off or at least had it in the mail stack will have to do the PRT and MEPS but I'm sure for this month they will have to grandfather some people in. Good Luck to all of you. I just hope I don't hit any snags and can still apply in Nov. fingers are crossed.

BullGator

My recruiter would not let me submit my package until i completed my PRT.
Me too and it is smart for the Navy to require this before seeing your package. It takes longer than expected to get into proper shape sometimes, and if you are having trouble doing the minimums you will be done when trying to run 3 miles along with other activities, and doing calisthenics at OCS; to say the least. Getting in peak physical shape can take time. August 28th I thought this was just going to slow down my package being sent: now I realize that was a good decision.

I am applying for SNA and am pretty sure this has been in effect for months. Does this mean that every designation needs to complete the PRT first (e.g. not just SNA/NFO, SPEC WAR, ect)?

Me too and it is smart for the Navy to require this before seeing your package. It takes longer than expected to get into proper shape sometimes, and if you are having trouble doing the minimums you will be done when trying to run 3 miles along with other activities, and doing calisthenics at OCS; to say the least. Getting in peak physical shape can take time. August 28th I thought this was just going to slow down my package being sent: now I realize that was a good decision.

I am applying for SNA and am pretty sure this has been in effect for months. Does this mean that every designation needs to complete the PRT first (e.g. not just SNA/NFO, SPEC WAR, ect)?

It is in effect but CNRC is lazy. They haven't updated the PRO-DOCS checklist to require the PRT so a lot of recruiters are sending up kits without them. The only kits where the PRO-DOCS require a PRT are specwar and chaplains.

Due to the recent rule change associated with only a certain # of packages reviewed a month -> if my candidate is close to passing the PRT, I'm submitting their kit without PRT as long as they are in BCA standards because of the long wait. I'm sure other recruiters are doing the same.