• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ocs

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Handed-down tip that might help out someone - we were advised to bring with us a Rub-A-Dub Sharpie marker instead of the regular black ones. The people who used it said that they marked their **** one time with it and it never faded after being washed. I have no personal experience with this, but I was told by candidates who have already been, that it helped out a lot, so I figured I'd share. They said it was a big time saver.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Slammer2 said:
Handed-down tip that might help out someone - we were advised to bring with us a Rub-A-Dub Sharpie marker instead of the regular black ones. The people who used it said that they marked their **** one time with it and it never faded after being washed. I have no personal experience with this, but I was told by candidates who have already been, that it helped out a lot, so I figured I'd share. They said it was a big time saver.

I brought a pair and they're good for marking names and the front, but a pain for the back.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DocT said:
You will be issued your M-16 after pick-up. Usually the next day. It's nothing to be excited about...it's just one more thing to carry.

LOL.........it's just one more thing to carry and clean...for inspection. Wait until you push a few magazines worth of blanks down the barrel. Not like cleaning anything else you've ever experienced for sure.

BTW - if you haven't heard, don't ever, ever lay it down or let it slip out of your immediate control...

Crowbar

None
Slammer2 said:

mmx1 said:
I brought a pair and they're good for marking names and the front, but a pain for the back.

Yeah, it's a huge asspain coloring in that big letter on all your PT shirts, but well worth it. I think I had to redo one of my shirts once the whole time there.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Our platoon letters were painted on the first day and lasted all summer. If you had a heat stroke they painted rings around your arms, aka "racing stripes". I wonder why they stopped that?

Crowbar

None
Harrier Dude said:
Our platoon letters were painted on the first day and lasted all summer...I wonder why they stopped that?

Probably varies company to company. I remember seeing OCC spray painting their shirts. Both times I went we had to use shoe polish/laundry markers.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
We were provided one can of spray paint which was quickly used up. Eventually, even the paint fades in the wash. The amount of remarking of PT gear you do is directly proportional to the anality of your staff.

Rub-a-dubs saved me lots of time on marking most everything except the back of PT shirts.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
Our platoon letters were painted on the first day and lasted all summer. If you had a heat stroke they painted rings around your arms, aka "racing stripes". I wonder why they stopped that?

They still did this last summer with OCC 189. Heat casualities would get a bigass yellow circle on their back and front, as well as the racing stripes on the sleeves. We had one double-heat candidate that was pretty much as solid wall of yellow.
The staff let us pick up cans of spray paint during libo... it becomes somewhat like gold in the squad bay, especially when everyone is scrambling around at night trying to get their **** together. The best was guys like myself who's stencils magically disappeared running around trying to piece together 9-letter last names from the stencils of squad mates. Good times...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
scotty008 said:
...especially when everyone is scrambling around at night trying to get their **** together...

About how much time is spent per night trying to square away all your stuff? Is it like an hours worth of work or way more? Does it differ between people? I guess I'm just wondering if there are some people who end up not having to do anything one night and some guys who have to stay up all night.

Or is this all something I should just shut up and wait to find out?? :D

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
If there's an inspection the next day...people will be up late. If you've got essays to write, you'll be in the head late writing. If you're the Cand. Plt. Sgt. you'll be up late getting the the platoon squared away for the plan of the day.

Some nights you'll sleep, some you won't. It will depend.

You'll see soon enough;)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:

When I was there they put a big yellow ring around your co/plt stuff on the back ... it was visible across the freakin PT field. That was almost two years ago now ... yikes ...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
yes, bring a few extra rolls of white athletic tape (both the 1 and 1/2 inch type, just in case), because that's the biggest purchase during weekly px-runs. also, bring about $50 in 1's and 5's for weekly haircuts.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Rub-A-DUbs are good, but you will still have to remark. They fade, slowly but fade nontheless. I started using a super huge permanant parker to mark stuff. It lasted a good amount of time, and with a 1/2 inch tip you could do shirts fast. To each his own, though.

You will spend much of you rack time for the first weeks squaring stuff away, then progressively less and less. You get better at doing what you need to do, and there is just less to do. Being underslept is a way of life there.