• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS vs RTC

swerdna

None
Contributor
I haven't seen a thread yet that really compares OCS to boot camp.

I'm prior service, went through Great Mistakes in 1999 and remember boot camp well. I'm hoping to ship to OCS this summer and was just wondering how it compared to RTC.

Like at RTC we lived in open bay barracks, showered, ate and exercised together. Is Newport similar or very different?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I haven't seen a thread yet that really compares OCS to boot camp.

I'm prior service, went through Great Mistakes in 1999 and remember boot camp well. I'm hoping to ship to OCS this summer and was just wondering how it compared to RTC.

Like at RTC we lived in open bay barracks, showered, ate and exercised together. Is Newport similar or very different?

Does it matter? :)

SixBeersIn

pilot
OCS is significantly different from boot camp. They both suck, just in different ways. I personally found OCS to be more stressful. Guys who went through RTC back in your day (some time before I did), said that they thought boot camp was worse.

The Marines bring their own brand of fun to the training and it's harder academically. Then there are the inspections: RLP blows anything at Great Lakes out of the water. Out of my boot camp class of 80, maybe 1 or 2 rolled. Half the guys I started with rolled at OCS.

On the other hand, you'll get treated with a lot more respect and civility when you're outside of Nimitz Hall. No one craps on you at the NEX, the chow hall workers are all very cordial, etc. I remember being treated like dirt every step of the way at RTC and was pleasantly surprised when I got the opposite in Newport.

Guys and gals are discussing the OCS evolutions constantly on this forum; Renegade's post is a good look. Hunt around and you'll get a taste of what you're in for and something with which to compare your past experience. Sadly, it won't all make complete sense until your in Newport and "on your face".

swerdna

None
Contributor
Have you seen this: http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

It should give you an idea.

Never seen it before...thanks!

I'm just trying to get an idea for what it will be like. I remember hating boot camp when I was there, but missing it after I left. Wondering if OCS will be the same way.

BTW, I'll never forget how many people (especially the E-3s and civilians) treated me like shi* during basic. Glad to know it won't be the same again.

BigRed389

None

I'm just trying to get an idea for what it will be like. I remember hating boot camp when I was there, but missing it after I left. Wondering if OCS will be the same way.

BTW, I'll never forget how many people (especially the E-3s and civilians) treated me like shi* during basic. Glad to know it won't be the same again.

I've talked with a lot of fellow OCS grads...generally, it seems to depend on your class mostly.

I thought OCS was "fun" towards the end, after RLP...but our class had great camaraderie, and we had a blast on liberty.

Some other guys I talked to were miserable there, but they didn't like their class.

Almost like a free look at good vs bad leadership.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

BTW, I'll never forget how many people (especially the E-3s and civilians) treated me like shi* during basic. Glad to know it will only be other candidates.

I fixed it for you...

Boot Camp and OCS both sucked for different reasons, but OCS actually got better as you went along...boot camp remained boring and demoralizing all 9 weeks (or was it 8? Feb 3 to April 5...hmm)

OCS you were actually treated like an adult and expected to think for yourself...plus liberty, suites vs. squad bays (unless you are a heat-shield kinda class) and some quality USMC training. I had fun in OCS AFTER RLP...I never had much fun up there in Great Lakes...
Pickle

Oh yeah..there are still Red Ropes at OCS...

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
I've talked with a lot of fellow OCS grads...generally, it seems to depend on your class mostly.

I thought OCS was "fun" towards the end, after RLP...but our class had great camaraderie, and we had a blast on liberty.

Some other guys I talked to were miserable there, but they didn't like their class.

Almost like a free look at good vs bad leadership.

Good to know. Did you go to OCS when it was @ Pensacola or Newport?

(Go Big Red!!!)

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'm just an NROTC mid, but I hear you OCS guys talk about RLP. Just so I can have some perspective, what is that and what does it mean?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Room, locker, and personnel inspection. You spend every ounce of free time (and there isn't much free time to be had) making your stuff wrinkle free, lint free, shiny, folded according to measurements, and placed in exact locations. Then it gets inspected by DIs/class officers*. Most DIs will make you PT while they inspect you.

*I've heard that the class O part of RLP was changed, so someone more recent should chime in.

RLP marks the end of the more "boot camp" like phase of OCS. It's also the number 1 evolution where people roll due to failures. If the class team wants to get rid of you, this is where they do it.

utak

Some people who don't graduate OCS do graduate from RTC . . .

but some people who graduated RTC don't graduate from OCS . . .

paradox.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Some people who don't graduate OCS do graduate from RTC . . .

but some people who graduated RTC don't graduate from OCS . . .

paradox.

Ya, not by choice either. I still feel bad for that one guy who was on AW a long time ago.