• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS push ups

irish.red

saved by grace alone
Yes, I used the search first. The closest relevant post I found was from four years ago and left the question still out in the open. I have small wrists, so regular form push ups at the moment are next to impossible, but I can crank out plenty doing them on my knuckles instead. Is that in the category of "flat out not allowed in OCS" or the "you will get extra flak from the DI but allowed" ? Not what I wanted for a first question but there it is. I will be doing a good bit of rehab to get my wrists to where they need to be.

And yes, first time poster here and looking forward to hearing from you all. I was headed in a different direction after college, but then ran into a Navy recruiter and did an intro flight and the rest is history.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Opnavinst 6110.1h

I think this makes it pretty clear. Do pushups on your hands. Not your knuckles.
Pickle

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyregs/p/opnav61101.htm

c. Push-ups
(1) Push-ups shall be performed on a firm or suitably
padded, level surface. Shoes are optional.
(2) Push-ups shall be performed as follows:
(a) Participant shall begin in "front-leaning rest"
position, palms of hands placed on floor directly beneath or
slightly wider than shoulders. Both feet together on floor.
(b) Back, buttocks, and legs shall be straight from
head to heels and must remain so throughout test. Toes and
palms of hands shall remain in contact with floor. Feet shall
not contact a wall or other vertical support surface.
(c) Timer shall signal start for participant and
call out 15-second time intervals until 2 minutes have elapsed.

(d) Participant shall lower entire body as a single
unit by bending elbows until upper arms, shoulders, and lower
back are aligned and parallel to deck.
(e) Participant shall return to starting position by
extending elbows, raising body as a single unit until arms are
straight.
(f) Participant may rest only in up position while
maintaining arms, back, buttocks, and legs in straight position.
(3) Push-ups are repeated correctly as many times as
possible in 2 minutes. CFLs or assistant CFLs monitor
participant for correct form and counts correctly performed
push-ups. Incorrect push-ups shall not be counted. Results for
event ended in less than 2 minutes shall be number of push-ups
properly performed at time of termination.
(4) Event is ended if participant:
(a) Touches deck with any part of body except hands
and feet.

(b) Raises one or both feet or hands off deck or
ground.
(c) Fails to maintain back, buttocks, and legs
straight from head to heels.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
a) Participant shall begin in "front-leaning rest"

I have fairly muscular thighs and trying to make the sides of my feet touch is rough. It makes me feel a little off balance. I looked at some of the drawings and their feet are touching each other. Is there any wiggle room on distance between the feet during a push-up?

STLEngineer

pilot
Yes, I used the search first. The closest relevant post I found was from four years ago and left the question still out in the open. I have small wrists, so regular form push ups at the moment are next to impossible, but I can crank out plenty doing them on my knuckles instead. Is that in the category of "flat out not allowed in OCS" or the "you will get extra flak from the DI but allowed" ? Not what I wanted for a first question but there it is. I will be doing a good bit of rehab to get my wrists to where they need to be.

And yes, first time poster here and looking forward to hearing from you all. I was headed in a different direction after college, but then ran into a Navy recruiter and did an intro flight and the rest is history.

While your working on the new position, you may as well practice push-ups the OCS way. Make sure your fingers are pointing straight ahead of you when doing pushups with your fingers together (like a karate chop, including your thumb). Thats one thing they're anal about. It shouldn't be a big deal for most people, but it does change your balance a little.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
... Make sure your fingers are pointing straight ahead of you when doing pushups with your fingers together (like a karate chop, including your thumb). Thats one thing they're anal about...

Thankfully you don't have to sweat this stuff out in the fleet, or anywhere after OCS for that matter.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
a) Participant shall begin in "front-leaning rest"

I have fairly muscular thighs and trying to make the sides of my feet touch is rough. It makes me feel a little off balance. I looked at some of the drawings and their feet are touching each other. Is there any wiggle room on distance between the feet during a push-up?

Are you joking? Attempts at humor don't always come through the internet too well.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
Are you joking? Attempts at humor don't always come through the internet too well.
Yes, it was a joke (could have phrased it better). I have had enough trouble getting up to fifty push-ups in two minutes. It has taken me about three months to get there. At first I was going too low, nose about an inch off the ground. Then I found out that I have to hold my back strait when I rest. I am just trying to figure out if there are any other adjustments I need to be making? I figure I have to be doing something else wrong. Up until the last few months I was lucky to be able to do a set of ten. I didn't know about the fingers pointing straight either.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I had to work my way up from low numbers... it just takes time and effort. Anyway, try different widths. Not only will it make you better overall if you vary widths when you train, but you will find the hand width that works best for your particular body.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes, it was a joke (could have phrased it better). I have had enough trouble getting up to fifty push-ups in two minutes. It has taken me about three months to get there. At first I was going too low, nose about an inch off the ground. Then I found out that I have to hold my back strait when I rest. I am just trying to figure out if there are any other adjustments I need to be making? I figure I have to be doing something else wrong. Up until the last few months I was lucky to be able to do a set of ten. I didn't know about the fingers pointing straight either.

Ok, I thought so, but I wasn't sure. :)

As was mentioned, it just takes practice. Also, do you lift weights? Chest and arm exercises to increase strength will help also.

irish.red

saved by grace alone
While your working on the new position, you may as well practice push-ups the OCS way. Make sure your fingers are pointing straight ahead of you when doing pushups with your fingers together (like a karate chop, including your thumb). Thats one thing they're anal about. It shouldn't be a big deal for most people, but it does change your balance a little.

Will do...thanks.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
Just graduated and they are making it now so that you do not have to do knife hand push-ups for the PFA's anymore. Makes sense since you don't have to do those...ever...in the NAVY. This would have been helpful to know for my in-PFA though.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^^^ I am assuming knife hand push-up refers to the closed fingers straight forward method of push-up. Is this correct or is knife hand something different?