• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS prep

smustang51

Guys, I have a problem: I'm studying abroad this semester and have PLC coming up this summer. Problem is im studying abroad on a ship and have a really hard time with the running part. all that there is onboard is a treadmill that is often reserved. Does anyone have any ideas of how i can get better prepared for this summer? sit ups and pull ups are fine, but my run the other day on a treadmill was 3 miles in 22 mins. and i did a five mile again at 41. Before that i hadnt really run for about a month and a half. Help me please!!

mts4602

I really don't see how you could get that run time down without actually running. What exactly are you doing? What's the ship like? Do you ever stop places that you could run?

narfmasta

3 miles in 22 minutes isn't bad from what I've heard... They'll build you up from there. Just make sure you're maxing your situps and pull ups

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
One of the cadets here during PT asked if we could perform the running part of our PT test by just jogging in place...maybe you could try that.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Bodyweight squats as part of a station with other body exercises (this helps prevent fatiguing in uphill runs).

Pylometric jumps (jump on/off a ~12-18 inch step).

Not a substitute for running, but do what you can.

KSUFLY

pilot
Don't sweat over it. When you arrive at OCS, just let the DIs know your situation and I'm sure they'll help you get your time down. In fact, I can e-mail my Gunny and let him know of your situation just so he'll have a heads up before you get there.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
We try to do this workout here at cal-state twice a week... good cardio/endurance training. Its from ross-training's website.

60 seconds each exercise: body-builders (aka up-downs), leg-lifts, squats, then pushups.

repeat 45 seconds each, 30 seconds, then 15 seconds.

The end result is 10 minutes + of constant thrashing about... you might get some odd looks from passers by but its essentially ITing yourself, and it'll help you build your cardio-respiratory health and lower body muscle endurance. You can substitute pullups or dips for leg-lifts.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys, I have a problem: I'm studying abroad this semester and have PLC coming up this summer. Problem is im studying abroad on a ship and have a really hard time with the running part. all that there is onboard is a treadmill that is often reserved. Does anyone have any ideas of how i can get better prepared for this summer? sit ups and pull ups are fine, but my run the other day on a treadmill was 3 miles in 22 mins. and i did a five mile again at 41. Before that i hadnt really run for about a month and a half. Help me please!!

How much time between boat pulling in and reporting to Quantico?

If you are PLC Jr/Sr, are you second increment (if not, try to switch)?

Can't imagine treadmill is busy round the clock...you might want to get used to early wake-ups

How big is the ship...not enough space for jogging?

Bottom line...showing up for OCS not prepared physically will be a huge burden and garner a lot of attention (read stress) you don't need and if it gets out you were studying on a boat (and it wasn't gray)....standby

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
btw: 3 miles in 22 minutes isn't bad for shipping to OCS. I know candidates that went with worse run times than that and did just fine.