• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS pre-ship PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcm

Hey all you 184's out there...what is your PT strategy for the next few weeks? My OSO actually wants me to "cool it" starting next week, and pretty much rest for at least a week before OCS starts. On one hand, this makes sense because I don't want to show up already beat down. On the other hand, I also don't want to get soft. I'm not too concerned about my run times or overall fitness (275 PFT), but I would like to harden up as much as possible. So I was just wondering how some of the other candidates are approaching this.

perchul

I'm going to try to increase my overall endurance, I don't want to be the weenie at the back of the line on a big hump. My pft is a 289 but I feel that isn't a score that I'll be able to kneel on when I get there, just want to improve my 3 mile and beyond running as much as possible

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I'm gonna just keep doing my crunches, Armstrong program and varied running. Also, gonna run in boots. No weight lifting or anything like that. If we are not ready now folks then its too late.

orthaj

If you are in good shape, you aren't likely to get so far out of shape in one week that you will blow a PFT. I would take your OSO's advice.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Fellas- keep in mind that there is some definite down time when you report to OCS. You will show up on saturday or sunday, and then not take your inventory PFT until Wednesday. Do whatever it is that makes you feel most comfortable at this stage in the game. Of course, don't be an idiot and attempt a 50 mile ultra marathon. You all have good enough judgement to know what to do.

klostman

the happy dance!
just thought throw in some change and agree with Taxman. You will have a couple of days of downtime at OCS. You probably will take your PFT on Tuesday evening. Maybe sooner that day. At least thats what we did. Wednsday is when you will meet your lovely staff. lol. They changed the PFT now so you do it before you meet the instructors. Kinda ease the pressure off you. Again, just reiterate what your OSO said, take it easy. Don't go really hardcore a week prior to you ship out. You won't lose anything. Good luck to everybody and SF!

matthewbohman

I don't necessarily agree that it's too late to improve your fitness (a month is pretty signifigant), although obviously there is only time to fine tune. I am just trying to balance improving my endurance, strength and flexibility with avoiding any overuse injuries or joint irritations. A coach once told me that for everyday you take off, it takes two training days to get back to where you were. I'm alternating between 20-30 minutes of hard cardio a day and 40-60 minutes of easy paced cardio. For the last few months I replaced any pop i use to drink with tons of milk or water.

kmc9280

My OSO said, peak 30 days before and maintain until you ship out. I was doing a lot of cardio and lifting and after my pre-ship pft this coming Monday I am going to run 3-4 times a week and only do some basic stuff like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and dips. Nothing too strenuous, just enough so that I won't be shocking my muscles after the first couple PT sessions. I'm at a 286 now with my run time at 20:15 so if I can just get that down 15 seconds or so I'll be content. We're getting close! OSO said I could pick up my orders Monday too!Are you guys nervous or excited? It's kind of wierd, I'm niether, just ready to go. More nervous about getting all the crap I need.

matthewbohman

I'm not nervous about the physical training or the classroom stuff. I'm not sure how I'll really respond to the continuous yelling and stressful psychological games they'll make us play. I think we're all use to being the best at a lot of stuff and it will be really hard for perfectionists to not be able to do anything right, no matter how well its done. I'm just going to have to constantly remind myself to simply play the game and think of the reward at the end of all the crap. The only other thing that worries me would be getting a stress fracture or some other injury. I'll be pissed if I don't get to finish on my own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.