• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS & NFO training with spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

pong

I am married, starting OCS in March and then NFO training and have some questions. I know my wife can't come with my to OCS (Navy won't pay), but after commissioning I am hazy of the procedures. If anyone can help me out, I would appriciate it.

First off, when can my wife join me in Pensecola? How long will we be getting BAH?

When does the Navy let me initiate the process to start shipping my household goods? After OCS, API, Primary?

Where are spouses expected to live when household goods shipments are in-route?

Where do most people rent apt.?

Final question about the NFO pipeline... After OCS and API in Pensacola where do SNFOs go and for how long?

Thanks,
Ed

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
Your wife and household goods cannot be shipped to Pensacola until after OCS. This is because the Navy will not pay for it since you are only on Temp Duty orders. Since you are a SNFO, once you graduate OCS you will receive PCS orders to API in Pensacola. At that point you are authorized dependent travel to Pensacola as well as shipping of HHG to P'cola. (at least that is when the Navy will pay to have your stuff shipped, your wife can go down to P'cola at any time, just the navy won't pay for it). What I suggest is to have your wife stay with your HHG where ever they are now. Once you are in the last few weeks of OCS you are in the candidate officer phase and are in more of an admin role and have alot more free time (depending on your class rank/ therefore your job at OCS) Have your wife come down there then so you can both look in the local area for houses/apartments to rent. That way you will have a place lined up when you graduate. Once you get the orders to API, then ship all your HHG to the new place you found to live. As an SNFO you will be getting PCS orders because you will be doing API and Primary there in P'cola and possibly Intermediate/Advanced as well depending on where you go in the pipeline. As for where to live while HHG are in route, you can stay in the Navy Lodge or any other hotel or if you have rented a place...stay there ( I usually did that since we had pets and most Navy Lodges do not take pets) you can claim any hotels on your travel claim as Temporary Lodging Expenses (TLE). I know a lot of people who rented both houses and apartments in the Perdido Key area, which is just out the back gate of P'cola. Very nice area and close to Perdido Key beaches!! Not real expensive either. I would aviod downtown or the front gate of P'cola.
As for the pipeline.. After OCS you will start API ( your start date will depend on how many people are waiting and how many seats per class are available, in the mean time you may be 'stashed' somewhere to work until your class up date. This may be a few weeks to a few months. If you are not stashed you will muster with the A pool student control every day) API will last like 13 weeks (with both SNFOs and SNAs) and then you will be transferred to Primary (SNFOs only). Primary is either at VT-10 or VT-4 both at Sherman Field in P'cola. At P-grad you will select pipeline either Panel Nav (ie P-3, EP-3 or E-6) or jets (F-18, F-14 or E-2C, S-3). Panel Navs will then transfer to Randolph AFB in San Antonio, TX for the rest of training and jets will stay in P'cola for Intermediate. At I-grad you will select either E-2C or all others. E-2Cs will go to Virginia to finish Advanced and all others will stay in P'cola Advanced at VT-86. Once in the particular pipeline you will all wing at apprpoximately the same time, then you go to the fleet replacement squadron, and on to the fleet.
To give you an Idea:
I graduated OCS on Jan 25, 2002 moved my wife and HHG to P'cola, FL
I started API in March, 2002
I started Primary in June, 2002 P-grad in Sept, 2002 transferred to San Antonio, TX
I started Int/Adv in SA, TX in Sept, 2002 winged May 30, 2003
I started the FRS VP-30 JAX, FL in Aug, 2003, will graduate in March, 2004.

I hope this gives you an idea of how the pipeline works. If you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me or send me an email. Good luck at OCS!
Shane

ldahla

if your wife/girlfriend comes down during the latter part of your OCS training (lets say after you are granted liberty)...are you allowed to see her at all??

ldahla

when are you granted liberty--what determines it and how do you know when you get it?? is it usually a certain amount a weeks into it? like halfway or what?

kelly

D_macs Wife
HI! My husband is currently in OCS and will be graduating on Jan. 30. I had called the housing place, and they told me the Navy would not pay for our move until we got his order for Primary. At a breif he was told they would do the move as soon as he got his API orders which is what you stated. I just wanted to double check. How long after graduation do you have to wait to do the move? or is there a wait? I plan on going down in mid Feb. Is that to soon after graduation? He is also going for NFO. Thanks for any help with this matter.
Kelly

ldahla

when they are granted liberty--is there a better time of the week to go visit?? like are weekends more open than the beginning of the week?

version2point0

liberty is determined by an inspection 4 weeks into school. if your whole class does well in that inspection, they become "secured" secured classes are occassionally granted liberty during weekends, but the OCs must stay in uniform (except for while sleeping) during that time, the OC can go wherever he wants. they usually choose to sleep, from what i hear.

if the class is not secured at that inspection, they get another chance like 2 weeks later. also, becomming secured does not guarantee liberty. after becomming secured, it is up to the drill instructor on whether or not the class can leave.

about the move: i chose to bring my family here now. my ocs date is jan25, and i didnt want to leave my family behind. it cost a bit, but we made it work. i love my family, so i wouldnt leave them anywhere. however, the navy will pay for household goods to be moved to the new duty station upon receiving orders after OCS. whenever the new ensign receives his orders telling him where to be is when the navy will pay for all of his stuff to get there. that does not include living things, though. so the family members must drive/fly/whatever to that place, however the contents of their former residence will be packed, shipped, and delivered to the new duty station. all you need is the order papers stating where that is. the sooner those come, the sooner the fam and stuff can move.

-v2.0

kelly

D_macs Wife
I am under the under standing that the Navy will pay for the NFO's to move right after OCS, when they get there orders. But does anyone know if that works for pilots also?
kelly

ldahla

so just during weekends they are granted liberty? can they leave base anytime during the week at all? what about phone calls--when they are granted liberty can they call during the week at all?

version2point0

DMACSWIFE i was talking about everyone. every officer. its all the same methodology. the navy doesnt have the ability to differentiate among designations as to how they are going to move people. that would be inefficient.

MN2329 i dont know about phone calls. i think there is a time at night when phone calls can be made after securing. but when you have 50 guys trying to use a phone for the hour that the phones are open, its going to be kinda hard to set a time to rendezvous telephonically. just be happily surprised when they do finally call. it will make the anticipation all the much more fun! oh, and im not 100% sure, but i think that OCSers cannot leave during the week. they are only allowed liberty on weekends.

-v2.0

kelly

D_macs Wife
For the first 4 weeks you are only allowed to use the phones on Sundays, usually from 8am to 1 p.m.. Then after you secure you can use the phone for about an hour every night. But v2.0 is right there are always lines for the phones. My husband and I now just send emails to each other during the week. When they are on on base liberty he calls me from his call in his car. And no you can't have liberty during the week until you become a Candi-O. Then it is alot more laid back, as far as freedom.

ldahla

hey--what do the uniforms look like or consist of and do they change after you get liberty??

oh yeah--and what is the NAVY's policy for uniforms after OCS??? when are they required (just during certain days, hours, all the time, on base)?? please inform

Status
Not open for further replies.