• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

tali264

OK, I don't go to OCS for a few months, but still had some questions.

When you go to OCS, do people bring all their stuff with them? Do they move it afterward, before API? Does the Navy pay for this? Does the Navy pay for storage? Since I am BDCP, does the Navy only pay for my move from where I go to school down to OCS, or my actual home down to OCS?

I did a search where Jason Williams was asking similar questions, but no firm answers were there. Jason, what did you end up doing? Who paid for what?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If your BDCP you can get your personal goods moved from there to your next duty station after API. You also get 1 home of record move. So you get really get two moves paid for by the Navy. So, if you have stuff at college and some at home, where ever that is, the navy will pay for both moves. You can do a dity (do it youself) move and get the $$'s for moving your own furniture and stuff. Or, the Navy will contract a moving company to come get your stuff box it up send it to where ever your going after API and store it there untill you arrive. Then they will bring it out and unpack it all free! Since you are BDCP you will also get your orders to primary during OCS (week 10 I think) So, you'll know where your going to primary before you start API. Also since you are BDCP, you get travel $$ to go back to where ever you where in BDCP. Its called OLPDS or old permanent duty station. They Navy will cut you orders there and give you travel time. You will also get perdiem from the day you grad OCS until you show up for primary. BDCP is such a great deal. Also ask for DLA (dislocation allowance) and TLA (temporary living allowance). DLA is like 1.5 times your BHA or about 2 grand. This is free money that you dont pay back. It is to cover the extra costs of moving like security deposits and such. TLA is $$ for 10 days after you reach primary. The navy will reiburse you up to $100.00 a day for a hotel and food, until you find a place to live. Hope this helped

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tali, I can't give you firm answers on the OCS part, since I was active duty leaving ROTC with my commission with my orders to API. But things you need to think about, and my own personal thoughts:

- Are you going to do a DITY (do it yourself move) or let the military move your stuff for you. Advantages with a DITY, if you don't have much stuff, you can rent a UHAUL/RYDER truck, tow your car, and move your stuff yourself. Ok, a lot of sweat and pain involved, but you can make $$ on the move. Also, you can do a partial DITY, where the Navy moves some of your junk, and you can move some. The $$ you get paid depends on how much the weight (excluding car) is of the Household Goods (HHG) and the distance you are alloted (ie home of record to duty station).

- Car, you would be a fool not to have it available at OCS in the parking lot, both as a storage spot, and as the lucky individual that actually has wheels when liberty comes around. I made that mistake when I went to my knife and fork school (NSI in Newport, RI for my ~9 weeks), and was basically bumming rides off of others or taking a cab.

- I don't know how your orders will be stated, but that is going to really determine if you can move your belongings. If your orders just say for TEMADD or just with OCS as a temporary stop in your training, ie, are you going to go directly through API, and then down to Corpus for Primary?!?! Who knows. I think for reading posts over the last 4 years on here, that the orders terminology has changed quite a lot. I knew where I was going, API the Primary at Whiting. So, I moved my stuff over and got a house. Others moved their stuff to Pcola for API, and then moved again to Corpus. Got Helos and THEN moved back to Pcola. Go figure.

But the best answer to any question is to go to the source, here is the link to the personal property office that will service you at NAS Pensacola, or at least point you in the right direction:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/naspcola/logistics/nasppo.html

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, going to go into lecture mode here, sorry, my admin background. Just to point some stuff out, Dave is actually referring to TLE (Temporary Lodging Expense), TLA (Temporary Lodgin Allowance) is only for overseas moves. TLE is good for 10 days of reimbursable expense (save your reciepts), for days that you are not paid Per Diem. This covers ppl moving out of their house before execution of their orders. And for when you arrive at your duty station and check in (orders stamped) and are searching for housing. The 10 days can be used on either end. The travel days in between, based on either driving or flying, you will be reimbursed for. I believe it is still like 260 miles or so per day of travel if you are driving.

Of note also, is while researching this, and pulling up the actual verbage below for reference, the JFTR (Joint Federal Travel Regulations) that covers all this, states that TLE is NOT payable on FIRST and LAST PCS orders. Hmm... Like Dave said, maybe you can use it on your second set of orders....

DLA is not always given to non-married members. If governemt qrts are available (ie BOQ) upon arrival, and you stay greater than 60 days, you just screwed out of DLA. Sorry. And DLA is 2.5 times BAH (for your paygrade), so it DOES NOT MATTER what your zip code is or where you are going, that base BAH figure stays the same.

Also, in regards to moves, you are eligible for MANY different combinations. In effect, you get three moves. An advance move, pubs, pots pans, linens, TV, computer, but no furniture. A regular move, that you can divide out between that regular move, and a partial Dity. Or finally, move it all yourself with a Dity move. Also, when you get orders to overseas, you can place stuff in storage for the period of your orders.

The military will also pay for the first 90 days of keeping your stuff in storage, should you chose not to accept it, ie house hunting, or living in the BOQ. You can extend that out an additional 120 days with a simple letter. I have done that in the past.

Finally, you are given an overall weight limit based on your rank. Lets say that it is 10,000 lbs. Ok, you do DITY for 2000 lbs, and you have the military do an advance shipment of 1000 lbs, and a regular move of 4000 lbs. You still have an entitlement of 3000 lbs (10000 - 7000). You can go back and get ANOTHER move, packers come out, and move that 3000 lbs of stuff. They won't tell you about it at JPPSO, but you CAN do it. I have done it twice. You pay a nominal fee, less than $100 for the movers to come out and pack. Just FYI.

Also, there is probably going to be changes to the 2nd car move soon. Right now the military will only pay for you to move one car overseas (for us in Hawaii also). That should change, congress already approved it.

Whew, hope that info helps, think I have done like 10 Navy moves, so have gotten better at it. Below are references to TLA, TLE, and DLA.

-- John

TEMPORARY LODGING ALLOWANCE (TLA)

Reference(s):
(a) JFTR, U9200
(b) DJMS PTG
(c) SDSPROMAN, B30417

PSD Point of Contact: TLA Clerk

Document(s) Required:
(1) TLA authorization letter from Housing Office
(2) Receipts of lodging expenses
(3) Housing Search Form (if required)
(4) Statement of Non-Availability of Government Quarters for Single Members. (BEQ/BOQ stamp on order)
(5) Status of Housing Availability (DD Form 1747)

Exhibit(s): None

BACKGROUND

The purpose of Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) is to partially reimburse a member and family members for normal expenses incurred for lodging and meals during occupancy of TLA approved accommodations. Family members must be command-sponsored and accompanied tour length requirements must be met. Members without family members or unaccompanied by family members may be authorized TLA only if not assigned to sea duty and non-availability endorsement by the BOQ/BEQ is stamped on their original orders. Members arriving in advance of their family members and temporarily residing in the BOQ/BEQ must report to PSD on the date family members arrive. Failure to do so may result in loss of allowances.

INFORMATION

TLA is an actual expense driven entitlement. Paid lodging receipts are required to support TLA claims. Dummy receipts or promissory notes will not be accepted for payment. TLA is never paid in advance. Since turn-around time for payments can be 1 - 3 days, members should be encouraged to consider Advance Pay for PCS as an available financial resource to meet this unique need.

ARRIVAL TLA begins upon reporting to the member's permanent duty station, as indicated by the "date/time reported" endorsement on the original orders. It is authorized up to a maximum of 60 days from reporting date. Extensions beyond 60 days must be approved by Local Area Commander and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Payment will normally be made after completion of ten-day increments. If the 11th day falls on a weekend, TLA can be processed up to 1500 on the last preceding work day. TLA will not be paid until member has completed check-in processing through PSD.

If the Housing Office/BOQ/BEQ Officer has determined government quarters will be available within 60 days, that fact will be noted on the Status of Housing Availability Form (DD Form 1747/Accompanied or Statement of Non-Availability of Quarters endorsement/unaccompanied). Member must conduct an aggressive search for off-base housing. At the end of each 10-day period, the Housing Office will review the record of housing search form and annotate the form as to whether the search for housing was adequate or inadequate. Housing Office will terminate TLA entitlement for failure to meet program criteria.

DEPARTURE TLA may be authorized for up to five days if vacating civilian quarters and three days if vacating government quarters. TLA accommodations must be located on the same island as the detaching duty station. Commands may request extensions of departure TLA from Local Area Commander when members present official documentation certifying their scheduled departure was delayed for reasons beyond their control (i.e., housing inspections, transportation arrangements, household goods, etc.) Payment will be made on the date of departure from the island or on the last working day prior to departure.

COMMAND/PLR RESPONSIBILITY

- Have a working knowledge of documents required to complete TLA processing.

- Ensure members are thoroughly briefed on their responsibilities with regards to arrival and departure TLA.

- Ensure member has a statement of eligibility of government quarters for each 10-day period (if required).

- Ensure sponsor packages include TLA brief sheets and eligibility criteria.

PSD RESPONSIBILITY

- Counsel members on their TLA entitlement.

- Verify that accommodations being used are TLA approved.
- Ensure tour requirements have been satisfied.

- Ensure member has TLA authorization letter from Housing Office, receipt of lodging expenses, Housing Assignment Termination forms and a statement of non-availability from the BOQ/BEQ, if applicable.

- Obtain member's signature on TLA information sheet.

- Complete TLA worksheet and daily record of expenses.

- Access JTLA Program and process entitlement.

- Process a PK03 for payment.

- Update Record of Emergency Data (NAVPERS 1060/602) and local master address when member is assigned to permanent quarters.

TEMPORARY LODGING EXPENSE (TLE)

Reference(s):

(a) JFTR, U5700-5710

PSD Point of Contact: Travel Section

Document(s) Required:

(1) Lodging Receipts
(2) Temporary Lodging Expense Certificate
(3) Reimbursement Request (PSD Travel Office Form)

BACKGROUND

The purpose of Temporary Lodging Expense is to partially offset added living expenses when a member and family members occupy temporary lodging incident to a permanent change of station. TLE allowance is based on local per diem rates not to exceed $110 per day.

INFORMATION

A maximum entitlement of ten (10) days TLE is authorized incident to a PCS move between two stations in CONUS or from an overseas station to CONUS. Five days is authorized for a move from CONUS to an overseas station. TLE is not payable on any day that per diem is otherwise payable. Rates payable and computation procedures are outlined in JFTR, paragraph 5710.C. TLE is not payable for first and last PCS. TLE accommodations should be within proximity of the location of the last PDS.

- Ensure members are aware of TLE entitlement.

PSD RESPONSIBILITY

- Compute and pay TLE entitlement based on lodging receipts, number of family members and availability of cooking facilities in the temporary quarters occupied.

DISLOCATION ALLOWANCE (DLA)

Reference(s):
(a) JFTR, Vol. 1, Chapter 5, Part G

PSD Point of Contact: Travel Section

Document(s) Required:

(Member w/Family Member): Original and 1 Copy of the following:

(1) Travel Voucher (DD Form 1351)
(2) Orders
(3) NAVCOMPT 3072 for approved children (Annual Approval)
(4) Certification of Intent to Relocate; if Government Bill of Lading or DITY-Move (DD Form 1299) is not available

(Member w/o Family Member):

(1) Travel Voucher (DD Form 1351)
(2) Orders with required endorsement or statement regarding assignment of Government Quarters

BACKGROUND

The purpose of the Dislocation Allowance (DLA) is to partially reimburse a member with or without family members for the expenses incurred in relocating his or her household. This allowance is in addition to all other allowances authorized and may be paid in advance.

INFORMATION

A member with family members is entitled to a DLA when family members relocate their household in connection with a PCS. A member with family members is a member who, on the effective date of PCS orders, has family members entitled to transportation in connection with a change of PDS. A member whose spouse is a dependent on the effective date of the member's PCS orders is considered to be a member with family members, even though the spouse was a former member and received travel allowances upon separation from the service.

When it is definitely known that family members will not move, an advance of dependents travel allowance or advance DLA as a member with family members is not payable. However, the member in this situation when not assigned government quarters at the new PDS, may be eligible for an advance of DLA as a member without family members.

A member without family members is entitled to DLA when transferred to a permanent duty station (PDS) where government quarters are not assigned. (Temporary occupancy of government quarters upon arrival at a new PDS does not preclude entitlement to DLA if the period of occupancy is 60 days or less. In justifiable cases, a longer period, not to exceed an additional 60 days, may be authorized or approved by the member's Commanding Officer, if the request for extension includes the specific reason for the request of extension.) A member without family members is a member who has no family members; is not entitled to travel and transportation allowances for travel of family members in connection with PCS; or has family members entitled to travel and transportation allowances but the family members do not relocate in connection with a PCS. Except under conditions prescribed in JFTR, para. U5630-C, a member in pay grade E-5 or below may request to be paid advance DLA when it is established that government quarters will not be assigned at the new PDS. An E-6 or above may be paid advance DLA upon request based on information about non-assignment of government quarters at PDS or a signed statement by the member that use of government quarters at the new PDS is not planned. DLA is not payable in connection with PCS to first PDS or for separation.

- When it is planned that family members will move, an advance of DLA will be provided upon request of the member and presentation of a copy of the executed Application for Shipment and/or Storage of Personal Property or executed Application for Shipment and/or Storage of Personal Property or (DITY Move) DD Form 1299. When the member does not have household effects to move, a standard certification, if appropriate, will be prepared on a separate sheet of paper and attached to the original orders:

"I certify that it is my intention to relocate my dependent spouse/dependent children (children's names) to (city, state), the place where they will establish a bona fide residence. I understand that, if my family members do not move, repayment of the advance is due immediately."

- Provide PSD required documents for advance payment of DLA in a timely manner. Advance DLA may be paid within 10 days of detachment.

PSD RESPONSIBILITY

- Upon receipt of required documents, Travel Section verifies entitlement and accuracy of documents.

- Verify Page 2 of members with family members.

- Process payment equal to the member's Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) for two and one-half months through IATS.

- The Disbursing Officer attaches voucher summary to original orders on advance payment of DLA.

tali264

Oh goodness John....hehe

Let me clarify a few things.

So the Navy does nothing for the move down to OCS? PCS orders.....is that permanent change of station???? So I would only get those going from API to Primary and not OCS to API, right? So then I guess people just live in BOQ during API? And if you go to primary at Whiting, then does the Navy still not pay for anything to be moved?

Or, since I am BDCP, do you think they consider my move from home (Wisconsin) to school (Iowa)a move? That way from Iowa to Pens. will be my second move?

Dave, can you explain OLDPS? They pay for me to come back to Iowa? What for?

John, yes I am taking a car to OCS. From the posts on here I figure I will want to make a few runs to it to get essential items
spin_125.gif

Thank you both for all the help!!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PCS, permanent change of station, moves are defined by geographical seperation, I forget how many miles it is. If your new duty station is greater than xx miles, you get another PCS move.

As for that BDCP question, with moves (as Dave said), go for it. While I may give valid advice (and others might provide their inputs), your best source of no **** information is going to be JPPSO. You just need to be prepared with the proper terminology, so you can at least know what to ask, and of course the knowledge of what TOO ask for!

The sure fire way to find out, is on your orders, they have your accounting codes in there, that delineates your entitlements, at PSD they use those to tell you what you can and cannot do, ie what is funded.

And what "essential" items would those be?

tali264

essential items???????

Ummmmmmmmm, can I write that on here???? hehe

No........just food, asprin, vitamins, that kind of thing

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
Depending if you are going to OCS as a SNA then your orders to API will only be a Temporary Duty Station and not PCS. This means that the navy will not move your stuff on TDY orders since the pilots leave P'cola after API is done and API is only 13 weeks. If you are a SNFO then the orders to API are PCS since you will attend both API and at least primary at P'cola.
Bottom line you cannot ship HHG on TDY orders it has to be PCS type orders.

tali264

I am going to OCS as a SNA.

OK, so I pretty much have to pay to move all my stuff to Pens. for API (if it's worth it) and then again possibly to Corpus for Primary because Corpus will be my first PCS and they don't pay for that?

Do people normally just take some clothes and minor things to API and live in the BOQ for that time?

tali264

Thanks Pap....

So I have a stupid question. Home of Record. What is that? I get my BAH based from Iowa City (where I go to school). So is that my official home of record? If that is it, can I get it changed to my actual house (i.e. parents house)? Because after May, I no longer have a spot to live down here, so I would need to put my stuff in storage for a long time if I had to move my stuff from here and I don't want to pay for that.

Also, when they moved your stuff from wherever you live to Corpus, were you present at your house?

Pap, so did you just bring some basic stuff to OCS and then live in BOQ during API?

tali264

Well thanks for the help anyway. I e-mailed my recruiter to see what I wrote down. I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer
tongue_125.gif

Beth

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was searching for a topic we had a long time ago covering home or record, you CAN change it, and not wait till the end of your commitment, that is FYI. Maybe I can stumble across it, since we actually posted the pub guidance on it.. anyways, came across this other topic on moves that should be helpful. -- John

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301

tali264

Thanks John.........I read that one - that's what I was referring to in my original post. I was just wondering what he ended up doing

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Unlike Pap I got Per Diem, DLA and TLE. Maybe its because I'm married or maybe I justed asked the right guy. You will get different answers from different people at PSD. Talk to Mr. Walters at PSD when your in OCS. He will give you all the info on olpds, DLA, etc etc...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.