• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS locker setup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
You dont wear your cadillacs until your 4th week. Helps reduce knee, shin, and ankle problems. The gouge is asked in the PI on the 5th week. The candio phase is 3 weeks almost. COC is 9th week and you graduate end of 12th week. I felt candio phase was a waste of time and we could have graduted in the 9th week, but I was prior enlisted so maybe I just didn't need the trasition time. The leadership part is BS anyway, all you do is sleep and try to look busy. Even as REGCOM, I found myself digging for **** to do. If you had a no name billet, you could sleep all day and no one would even know. i.e. Pain Chits, supply, etc

KBayDog

jg5343 said:
You dont wear your cadillacs until your 4th week. Helps reduce knee, shin, and ankle problems.

I did a study on this in school. A few years ago, the Corps (after a lot of advice) started a program where recruits would wear boots and "go-fasters" on alternating days for the first month. Back in the day, hard-soled shoes were the norm for kids (esp. when the only "sneakers" were Chuck Taylors), so recruits had no problem wearing hard-soled boots. However, these days, sneakers are the norm - very few kids wear hard-soled shoes. The lack of shock absorption on the boots resulted in numerous stress fractures, shin splints, etc. Too many recruits were held back for stress-related injuries, and quite a few were discharged because they were so messed up.

After instituting this program that allows a slow adaptation to hard-soled boots, they saw an immediate and substantial decrease in the number of stress-related injuries, and an increase in timely graduation rates for recruits. Seems like a "soft" thing to do, but it is better to be smarter, not harder.

Sorry for the jack.

CLAM97to99

jg5343 said:
Here's an example, now stop sweating it, you have 6 weeks now to get it together. No more 4th week RLP.
This is 8th week RLP:
DSCN0118sm.jpg

It looks like you're missing your khaki belt, and what's with the towel on the door. That belongs in your rack drawer.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
The belt is there, but not sure about that towel. Hope he took it off before go time. This is a picture I found on the web, not my locker.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
After instituting this program that allows a slow adaptation to hard-soled boots, they saw an immediate and substantial decrease in the number of stress-related injuries, and an increase in timely graduation rates for recruits. Seems like a "soft" thing to do, but it is better to be smarter, not harder..

That all makes sense. I guess (re: navy OCS, not USMC) there is a desire for the guys coming behind you to have it as tough as when you went through. If they don't, you feel they are somehow weaker. But getting people through the training makes more sense than busting them up for tradition sake. Who knows, if the current policy was in place when i did OCS, maybe I wouldn't have been rolled for a stress related injury....

good post KBay.

KBayDog

PropStop said:
That all makes sense. I guess (re: navy OCS, not USMC) there is a desire for the guys coming behind you to have it as tough as when you went through. If they don't, you feel they are somehow weaker. But getting people through the training makes more sense than busting them up for tradition sake. Who knows, if the current policy was in place when i did OCS, maybe I wouldn't have been rolled for a stress related injury....

good post KBay.

It's the same on this side of the fence. We are fond of saying how much harder things were "back in the day," and how easy new Marines have it these days. It's like the first two Marine recruits at Tun Tavern on Nov 10, 1775...the first recruit turned to the second and said, "Let me tell you about the Old Corps..." (I tend to think it is just the opposite - I think recruits these days have it a lot harder than I did! There is so much more to learn, less time to learn it, and they know they are going to war shortly after graduation.)

In any event, I am glad the Corps is finally treating us as athletes. It is protecting its investment - the Marine recruit - with such a simple fix (wearing sneakers for a total of two weeks).

In addition, athletic trainers are popping up all over the place. It used to be common place to treat all ailments - from sprains to decapitations - with a bottle of Motrin. These days, the "athletic" injuries - sprains, strains, etc. are treated by athletic trainers, which permits speedy and complete recovery from minor injuries (that could evolve into major injuries if left untreated). Also, injuries are actually rehabilitated. Gone are the days of being on light duty for a few days, then returning to 100% effort...usually to get injured again.

You don't train someone to be a basic pilot by immediately throwing him behind the stick of an -18, so why would you train someone to be a basic sailor/Marine by making him perform to Fleet standards on Training Day 1?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buddyy knows how to be a complete tool, OUTSTANDING.

ip568

None
Not a problem

Your kindly GYSGT drill instructor will educate you by shrieking the proper instructions into your left ear while banging your head against the bunk frame with his right hand until your vision blurs. At least, that's how they did it when I went through...

8*)

Good luck.

ip568

None
Not a problem

Your kindly GYSGT drill instructor will educate you by shrieking the proper instructions into your left ear while banging your head against the bunk frame with his right hand until your vision blurs. At least, that's how they did it when I went through...

8*)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.