• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS in PRT? Don't let em fool ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry bout the Bob Marley intro, oh well.

I have been reading alot of interesting info on this site about the in PRT. Some info comes from people that read the OCS page and other comes straight from OCS grads. Well after reading some of these posts, I have decided that certain members, (no names please) may be going a little overboard when discussing what kind of physical shape a person should be in before getting to good ol P'cola. Now I will agree that the better shape that you are in before you get to OCS, the easier it will be on you. However, some individual say that comming in to OCS you should be able to do 100+ situps and 80+ push ups and a 1.5 mile run in under 10 min. Well my friends, if you show up in this condition good for you. You will be a PT stud and the gunny will like you, maybe. Personally, I think that some people are reading these posts and going holly shit! I'll never be able to do that before I get there. If you are one of these types, DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. If you can pass the in PRT you will be in the same class with these PT studs. And guess what? While at OCS you will get in shape and be able to pass the out PRT when the time comes. PS, the above mentioned times are well above what it takes to pass the EOD/Seal PRT and enter BUDS or EOD School. I have learned that if you can pass the in PRT and you have the mindset to pass, then the instructors will get you in shape. So, a little advice from me. Dont get yourself all hot and bothered worrying about what other guys do on their PRT. Hey, what do you call a guy who finishes last in med school? Doctor. Give it your all and be happy with your best.

Dave

Edited by - EodDave on 02/22/2002 22:04:37

Mahler

Feeewwww... now I can finish last slice of pizza and not have to stress over it But seriously, thanks for pointing this out. I was one of those people starting to panic because I couldn't run the 30K marathon under 10 minutes. I can easily pass the in PRT and have every expectation of passing OCS. You just took a lot off my mind, but I still better get down to the gym every morning!!! Thanks again...

James

Paul Burke

I have to agree with you Dave. I have a friend here who is a retired Special Forces Sergeant Major and when his guys would get selected for the big boy schools he would put them on a 3 month long work out plan to prepare them for the school. By the time they got there, they would be maxing out on everything. OCS requires you to be able to do the minimum PRT in order to start (ground zero) after 13 weeks (3 months) with a gradually increasing PT routine (I'm assuming) then everyone who applies themselves should be able to pass the out PRT.

Think of OCS in terms of a highly efficient use of military assets in that it 1.) It takes 13 weeks to ensure that adequate and proper training has occurred in which everyone can past the out PRT. 2.) All of the basic information about the Navy has been introduced to you in a time efficient manner.

It's not meaningless. It's a very well thought out program that covers all the bases. My .02

wytee44

I know I'm probably repeating what's been said already, but here's what I've heard first-hand. I'm currently in the Seaman to Admiral Program at San Diego State. Although we're still on active duty, we must complete OCS after graduation. From all of the people I've talked to from my unit that have been through it, they say the same thing: you can go there running a 10-12 min 1.5, but by the time you leave, you're running 9 min 1.5 mile for the Out PRT just because you've been training for it for about 11 weeks. It's a gradual program, so if you want to and you put out the effort, you will succeed. Hope this helps!

EODDave - terrific line about medical school! John McCain was third from the bottom of his Naval Academy class and he did pretty good out in the fleet!

Edited by - wytee44 on 02/23/2002 14:16:17

Grunt

My experience (in the Army mind you) is that nearly all military schools are designed to take people who meet the prerequisites and train them to pass the final standards of the course. The schools don't exist to wash people out, the exist to produce qualified graduates. Therefore, if you come in prepared and apply the requisite amount of effort, you will graduate. Ta-da! That's one thing I really like about the military, things can be simple like that. From what it sounds like, everyone on this board is serious about this undertaking and should have little problem being successful. That said, good luck!

Mike the Grunt

Dave Shutter

If you haven't read all of my former posts: I'm a 29 year old with cement for a 1/4 of my femur joint, and was a little on the heavy side. My in time/week 0 was 12:49, week 8 PFA was 10:00. Just make sure you keep up with the formation runs and put everything you have into individuals runs and the mock-PFA tests given every wed. morning, and you'll get there. Oh yeah: watch yourself on the start of those PFA runs, I've seen a bunch of pile-ups and been tripped myself and aten asphalt!!!

Mahler

Ok, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, but I have a question. I can pass the in-prt now and have just over two months until OCS. If I continue on a hardcore workout program from now until then, should I be good to go, or do I have unrealistic expectations??? Thanks...

James

Michaela

FEMALES: I know when I was reading this forum before coming to OCS, it seemed there wasn't much info regarding the stuff us females need to know. If there's any of you reading this, here's a little heads up regarding the PFA's:
In PFA: Mins are something like 16 pushups, 46 situps and 15:30 1.5 mile run. I did 13:30 run, 47 situps and 32 pushups. And I'm still here so that gives you some idea of what kind of shape you can be in and still make it through. Of course your times and numbers WILL increase and I highly recommend to be in better shape than that. If you have at least 11 min run, around 35 pushups and 70-80 sit ups, I wouldn't stress about the physical stuff. It will come. My times are definately on the low end and thats made it really tough.
Out PFA: Mins are 39 pushups, 13:30 run, and 87 situps.
But remember, ALWAYS STRIVE FOR THE MAX NOT THE MINS!

OCS in Jan!

mattlowery

Michaela,

Just thought I'd say hi. I live in Cool Springs (Nashville) TN. I graduated from UT Chattanooga. I am heading to OCS March 23rd. Glad to see things are going well for you!

Matt L.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Mahler,

If you can pass the In PRT now, then dont worry about it. Now I'm not saying stop PT'ing. Keep working out and you will be more than fine. Just relax!

Dave

gt0767a

Update on Female out-PFA scores (for those of you out there):
Situps: 87
Pushups: 37
Run: 13:15

Got the Out-PFA this week, if it isn't too cold. Just want to get it over with.

Christine

Dave Shutter

Another thing to think about is that when you go out to your local 1/4 mile track and time yourself on 6 laps your doing it under some pretty ideal conditions, but when you do it in OCS it will be after a couple days in Poopie-ville and you won't be feeling all that rosy, if anything you'll be sick as a dog from the horrendous cold eveyone catches immediately from breathing each others germs and you'll probably lose time, your also running on asphalt which some guys were not used to at all. My point: if you show up for OCS and you just barely pass the standards then you're in trouble. You will also have an adrenaline factor going for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.