• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS in January

srqwho

pilot
Just found out my OCS date is 11 Jan 09. I know this has been addressed a couple times, but I was curious to hear from people who have done OCS in the winter at Newport. It looks like the temps will be in the 20s-50s, which isn't bad, but living in Florida (my entire life) doesn't help me get an idea of what PTing in that cold of weather feels like. Now I don't expect any changes to the "activities" at OCS, but are there some differences in the winter as opposed to the summer? I'm not concerned... just want to be prepared to expect to freeze my arse off...

Any other winter time surprises I should be aware of? And yes I have read that it is a good idea to wear shorts under the sweats.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I wintered over in Newport during my days at NAPS. You're correct that the temperatures are moderate compared to other inland locations in New England. The difference is the wind. I still remember our DI telling us "the wind in Newport doesn't blow, it sucks!" Marching in 30 degrees is one thing, doing it in with a 20mph wind is another. The good thing is winter is half over by the time you get there.:eek:

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Just found out my OCS date is 11 Jan 09. I know this has been addressed a couple times, but I was curious to hear from people who have done OCS in the winter at Newport. It looks like the temps will be in the 20s-50s, which isn't bad, but living in Florida (my entire life) doesn't help me get an idea of what PTing in that cold of weather feels like. Now I don't expect any changes to the "activities" at OCS, but are there some differences in the winter as opposed to the summer? I'm not concerned... just want to be prepared to expect to freeze my arse off...

Any other winter time surprises I should be aware of? And yes I have read that it is a good idea to wear shorts under the sweats.

Hey, I just found out my OCS date: 25 January 2009. I am kind of jealous that you will be done 2 weeks before me, hey maybe you can roll back into my class!!

submarinerssbn

when did you put in your ocs package? i put mine in in august and was hoping to get picked up and be in school before the end of january.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Im BDCP so I have been sworn in since last Jan, which is why Im surprised that I am not in the first class.

Avalanche24

I haven't been to OCS (yet), but I have been living in the arctic north for a while. So I've had the pleasure of exercising quite a bit in the cold (and snowboarding). You may or may not experience this: When I run in the extreme cold, it feels like my nose will NEVER stop running. Also, it feels like the back of my throat is bleeding, when in fact, it is totally fine. Stubbing toes and fingers are 10x more painful, and when my extremeties "thaw" out when I get into a warm room, they throb like hell. Oh, and when it gets really cold, you can swear that your nose and ears are brittle and made of ice.
Good luck. I hope it's a mild winter for you.

srqwho

pilot
Hey, I just found out my OCS date: 25 January 2009. I am kind of jealous that you will be done 2 weeks before me, hey maybe you can roll back into my class!!

Thanks for the encouragement.

submarinerssbn: if your question was for me, I put 15 Jan 09 as my requested leave date. I was selected in June and just found out my final select news today. It seems that the people that put down a delayed leave date (or haven't gone to MEPS prior to selection) have to wait longer for final select news.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I classed up last january. Im from california and it was cold for me. You do get used to it and they issue you awesome earmuffs and gloves. At least the gloves were nice. The earmuffs looked like a maxipad with a strap. Anyways, most of the PT will be done indoors in the gym, p-way or killzone until late march early april. The worst part was the cold wind. Sometimes I could not breathe. The good news is you will experience little sand, unless they haul it in like they did for one of the classes. Make sure you get a room with a nice heater and bring a small blanket (unless you sleep between the sheets) or sleep in your sweats cause that indoc wing is COLD. GOOD LUCK!

submarinerssbn

thanks, i put available for transfer immediately upon selection and will be reviewed by the sept board. hope the second that the results come out i know when i am gfoing and hope it is immediate. i don't care if i'm in class when its 10 degrees outside, get some hooooorah!

Stretch32

And you get to wear gloves while crawling through it.

Just remember to get 2 pairs because the ones you PT in will still get wrecked and you don't want to be cleaning them at 3am the morning of RLP.

Seriously though, as stated, you'll be indoors if the windchill is below 20 degrees. That's the minimum (was last year anyway) they can PT you at outdoors. Bear in mind though, a particular GySgt PT coordinator use to love running in conditions not much "warmer" than those minimums so you will be very cold from time to time. You'll get used to it after a while though (I've lived in FL my entire life as well). Also, those PT sweats are pretty warm and often times you'll start to get pretty hot if you're wearing them while PT'ing. I checked in during mid to late fall last year and graduated in FEB so I was there during the coldest time. I just did my normal PT routine before going up there (running, p/u, c/u, etc)

Just remember, in FL snow shovels are used to scrape dinner off the road. In Newport their used on snow detail at 5am. Make nice with the Watch Bill coordinator if you can, its a good thing :)

Stretch

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I arrived in Newport February 27th this past year and the wind chill was 6 degrees! I'm from Seattle and it was cold for me. During the winter, a good portion of the PT is in the drill hall/gym. If it is wet outside and below freezing, you will run indoors because they don't want people slipping on ice. We didn't really start PTing outside until around April. Good luck!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just remember to get 2 pairs because the ones you PT in will still get wrecked and you don't want to be cleaning them at 3am the morning of RLP.
Them bitches cost $40...I know because my marked pair somehow disappeared a few days before RLP.