• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS hints/tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc9280

I have seen many little tricks and hints to make your life easier while at OCS. I thought it might be helpful to start a string of ideas for those going soon. I am trying to start a little list so that I don't forget when the time comes. Any suggestions? Thorlos, inspection hints, shortcuts to making your rack, etc. Thx.

Kevin

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Hint: Don't get all stressed while doing rack-making drills. Those games will go on as long as the SI wants them to. Just relax, and know that this is the easiest hazing that occurs while at OCS. Man, I love rack drills. Two sheets and a blanket on line, now!

apendle

The biggest advice I could give is don't take anything your SI says too personal, and secondly ATD...pay Attention To Detail.

farkle84

dont go in all nervous. be confident in yourself and your abilities, they are trying to weed out the weaker candidates, stand tall and do your best. like they said, dont stress out, and pay attention to detail is a big one.

FrogFly

Whoah, were you Echo Co. - 2nd Plt? Those guys could do an excellent port arms with their mattress.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Manual of arms with a mattress, huh? lol.

That's new to me. Did any of you ever "climb mount suribachi"?

farkle84

taxman, i take it you got commissioned. congrats. when is your tentative TBS date. i got Artic Alpha tentative (nov).

SGorski

This may sound sound stupid, but if you have to get up in the middle of the night for a head call....do you get reemed? I was injured during OCC class 177 and hopefully will be going back, the thing that I'm curious about is how (though most of the candidates weren't really talking to each that first week)they knew where to go, who did firewatch, (and in what order to do firewatch)etc... is this a prior thing?....will things be made clear to those not prior service ...not just refering to simple duties such as making a rack, but will information be made clear to us as to billet assignments, and how to initiate and conduct them? The physical part seems to be the least of my worries, (not that isn't a concern) from my experience, it's the little things that get you.

FrogFly

You can stay up all damn night if you want to. I've never heard of anyone getting reemed for making a late night head call. Hell, we were getting yelled at the first couple of weeks if candidates were in the rack before midnight or 0100. Usually billet assignments come during the first day of pick-up, or something like that. Before pick-up someone designated by the staff will assign watches, probably from an alpha roster. The scribe assigns fire watch, there's no magic involved in the process. I believe there's a little folder that describes the duties of the various billets, such as linen candidate, whatever. I wouldn't even concern myself with that stuff at all. It's absolutely menial in comparison to physical and mental readiness.

SGorski

Thanks guys for the feedback...I wish I could express how useful your information is! The most important thing to me is to be able to wear the uniform that says Marines on the front, after that, if I'm still qualified, I'd like to fly for them. thanks again....and Semper Fi!

airwinger

pilot
With the new cammies some things may have changed but...
1.take an extra set of boots with you if you can, inspection boots and uniforms that are only worn on saturdays. While I'm on the topic, I think about 4 pairs of boots if fine. Inspection set, day to day set, and two hiking/running boots. You could get away with 3 total but two makes you work alot harder since it seems that at least one pair is hanging outside, wet.
2.Get back early on sunday(1400 or so is fine or do it before you leave) and prep your stuff for the week. for us this included re-marking our sweats, pressing out the cammies for the week and polishing boots.
3.Stretch EVERY night before you fall asleep. This is the most important tip I have. Use the boards(you'll know what they are) to stretch your calf muscles as this will prevent shin splints. When I showed up to OCS I already had shin splints from my preparations, but they vanished within days of some serious stretches. but I know at least three guys from my platoon that were dropped for stress fractures from shin splints.
4. Remember your reputation starts now. Even though all you have to do at OCS is graduate(your performance at TBS is what really counts as far as initial promotion/augmentation) your peers will know who is a ****bag and who is not, especially for Charlie company OCC guys since you'll most likely go through TBS and the fleet(or flight school together) There is a guy we felt shouldn't have graduated with us (OCC 179 guys know who I'm talking about) and even though he went through TBS with another company when he showed up at flight school people wouldn't talk to him.
Good luck and semper fi.
airwinger,
VT9 Intermediate strike

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Everything sounds good except you don’t want to be a ghost candidate. This may be one of the differences between boot camp and OCS. A sizable portion of your grade is based off leadership, which means you have to stand out and shine. Some of the goofy candidates that draw attention quickly are awarded Candidate Company 1st Sgt billet – you will notice a trend of the type of people that get the high up billets. Winning a high billets means you drew negative attention…now they want to test you…yeah, it sucks, but rise to the challenge and you will be better off for it. If you’re the quiet guy, you may not get as much attention from the staff, but you leadership grade is going to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.