• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS help/suggestions for senior citizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguy72

Time to serve. "Aut pax, aut bellum."
Hello all..
I am a 32 year old male (yes 32) who posesses a great career and an even better wife. However, for as long as I can remember I have truly desired to become a Naval Officer. And, as crazy as the majority of my friends and family think I am, I can't seem to eliminate my drive to serve. So that being said, do any of you have any possible advice?

I am testing in the next 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately, my age restricts what I would truly love to do (NFO) even though I posess a private pilots licence. But, any chance to serve in the Navy would be an incredible honor. Thanks for listening to the old guy ramble. All comments are truly appreciated.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The most generic advice is if selected to OCS, get in shape. Sure you won't have to score as high as the young guys to get an excellent low on the PRT, but you run in the same formation as everyone else, and get mashed like everyone else. The better shape you're in, the better off you'll be. What designator are you going for?

oldguy72

I'm hoping for Intel. However, from what I understand that designation is extremely competitive. I have been hitting the study books rather hard and hope it pays some dividends. Any recomendations?
Thanks..

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Find a good recruiter. I am in the same boat you are and hitting a bit of a brick wall when it comes to input/help from recruiters, so be prepared to do a lot of research and foot work into get your app done. As Thisguy mentioned standards for "old guys" is lower in prt but we have to more then make up in order to even be considered for OCS slots. Whatever you do though, don't get discouraged and let anyone tell you no, it can be done! Good luck and let me know if you need any help!

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
Fellow Old Guy,

I addressed some of your questions on another forum, but thought I'd catch up to you here too. If you are studying for the ASTB, the gouge available on this website is of great benefit (just do a search for ASTB). I also purchased a couple of ARCO study guides for variety.

I can relate to the issues/concerns you are dealing with. I'm 32 also, married, a great career and a daughter to boot. My wife is and has been very supportive of me the entire time, but she has the luxury of having sisters married to officers in the USAF, and her parents were both in the Army at one time, so the military and its demands are not foreign to her.

For me, I spent over a year deliberating what I wanted to do, mainly due to the fact that I felt comfortable where I was at and was worried about the effect such a decision would have on my marriage and our family. I put all of those issues to rest and have forged ahead and was pro rec'd for the Supply Corp on 4/14 and I AM SO JACKED! It is a great feeling, let me tell you.

Make sure you involve your wife in every aspect of what you are thinking and why. She needs to be onboard because your decision to become an officer in the Navy will change her life too. There is a lot of information out there, including a spouse's corner on this forum, for her to get information from if she wants it.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Good luck!

BSG

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
Hopeful,

Nope, no enlisted time. I've been in the banking industry for 8 years ... ever since I graduated from college. Yourself?

BSG

Hudson

Ok, I am not as old. Only 30 but I will tell you all that you need to be in shape. I graduated OCS in January. I really didn't have a problem. The only limiting factor I found was that my body didn't recover as fast a some of the younger ones. If your wife supports you, you are golden. It was very difficult to be away from my wife and child. If it were not for her support I don't know if I would have finished at times. I was envious in moments of the single guys. My wife was a big help.
The navy is a good place to work. I left a good job teaching and I don't regret it for the most part. In my class there were quite a few of us that left careers behind to do this. I have heard nobody complain. Your families will be taken care of. The benefits are unbeatable as far as I am concerned. Much better than what I was getting as teacher.
Good luck with your tests

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
BigSkyGuy,

How did you get Pro'red for supply when the age limit is 29 without prior enlistment time? I have been trying for that designator but they kept saying the age limit was 29, even showed me an "official" Navy document saying so. Was there a special circumstance for you? I have been in the computer/management industry for the past 10 years...since college, Have a BS in aerospace engineering and minor in math.

Cheers!

oldguy72

thanks...

Appreciate all the comments gentlemen. I'll just have to see what happens. My college transcripts are average (3.0) but I have consistent work exp. and 3 LOR's (1 Lt.Cmdr Ret, 1 Capt. Reserve, and 1 from a Georgia state senator) which I hope are very strong. It's up to me now. Time to hit the books.
Thanks Again.

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
Hopeful,

I'm not exactly sure how my age was handled. All my recruiter told me was that it wasn't going to be a problem ... and, well, it hasn't been. Supply was my first choice and I was pro rec'd the first time around :) , and according to the recruiter I'm not the only 32 year old civilian with no prior enlistment time to get pro rec'd. I'm guessing that somewhere along the way a waiver was granted. At our age we are still able to be commissioned prior to age 35, which is what the regulations also state as being a requirement. I'm not sure what else to tell you ... is there any one else you can talk to in the recruiting office? Where abouts are you located?

BSG

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Old guy,
At 32 you will be younger then most of the Drill Instructors. Just run everyday (more than 3 miles) and do many non weight lifting excersises and you will be fine. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch. That cannot be stressed enough. Also get your mind set to study and memorize as much as possible. You have been out of the loop on that. Most of your fellow class mates will be coming right out of school and use to that. Your age can be a huge benefit to you in your maturity and judgement. Its only 13 weeks. Good luck and keep your mouth shut.

photonchick

My husband is in his last few weeks at OCS. He's 31 and a half. It's not as bad as what a lot make it out to be. In a sense the older guys have somewhat of a leg up on the mental game having been out there for a while-it can be a shock or intimidating for the young (or faint at heart). My husband spent the last few months prior to leaving trying to really get in shape- he was fairly buffed anyway. I totally agree with the stretching advice- that really helps. Once you're there take the ibuprobhen whenever it's offered- it helps the inflamation and takes the edge of muscle ache and fatigue. My advice for your wife is that it really isn't that bad. There are going to be times in your career when your'e out of pocket, but it's not that bad. The navy has been great for our family (my husband is prior enlisted-and we have 5 children under age 8). You just have to learn to make it work with whatever they give you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.