• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS foot preperation

Status
Not open for further replies.

charger

I have a question about preparing your feet for OCS. Several people have told me to soak my feet in rubbing alcohol every day prior to OCS. They say it drys out your feet and toughens them up, which may help with blisters. Has anyone else heard of this? Does it work? The other thing I heard was bring a small thing of vasoline and moleskin with and put it your on feet before a hump. I am just looking for ways to take good care of my feet. Any ideas or suggestions?

charger

Bunny slippers thats funny. I can just see the Platoon Sgt's reaction when I pull out the big floppy bunny slippers.

AllenAzali

try snipping off the bottom portion of panty hoses and wear them under your socks. I heard it works to keep the blisters away.

Dave Shutter

Just try to spend a lot of time on your feet. I was a cook for five years so being on my feet all day is nothing. Then again OCS isn't really that hard on the feet. You march around the corner to go chow/class/PT, so it's not like you're marching ten miles every day in brand new, stiff, combat boots to go to a firing range, motor pool or gas chamber. It's OCS, not boot camp. The shoes they give you however are pretty crappy, and you will practice drill an hour or two a day for the first couple weeks. For that reason you wear tube socks under your dress socks. Don't worry about it.

charger

But don't you run alot in boots? The farlek, confidence, stamina, endurance course, and O-course are all run in boots, aren't they? I would think between that and the humps you're feet would take a beating. I've just been crusing through some of the other threads and people keep talking about blisters. That and my OSO plus several other candidates told me that feet will make you or break you there. I've never had a hard time with blisters. The only time I've ever got them was from new pairs of skates back in my hockey playing days.
Maybe I'm worried about nothing.

Thanks for the advise guys.

los5041

Charger, I recently went to OCS this past summer and like you I have never had a real problem with blisters. During OCS yes you will run alot but if you break your boots in before you get there you should be fine. When I went to OCS I never had broken in my boots and I never had a problem. The only suggestion I can give you is to make sure you have a pair of boots that fit you well. No matter what you do though your feet are going to start to hurt but it really isn't that bad. Also, talk to your OSO and ask them what they know about making boots fit better.

charger

When I contracted I thought I recieved my boots, but the new boots are not issued until arriving at OCS. My OSO also stressed the fact that I get a good pair on spenco type insoles, and make sure I get a pair of boots that really do fit. He said you might get harrassed a little but it's worth it.

davidsin

I've been told that you can wear some thin nylon type dress socks under your socks to avoid blisters. Also, second skin or mole skin helps on the spots that are prone to blister. Vasaline on the feet before humps and on the inside of the boots help too. They say that you won't have any problems with breaking in the boots that they'll be issuing at OCS.

Most helpful I think is to go on humps on your own. Hit a hiking trail for about 5-10 miles a week to callouse your feet. I hear it's very important to condition your feet before OCS. You don't wanna be running all those courses with blistered feet.

Oh--I would stay away from the bunny slippers. I would think that the sergent instructors will be on your @ss like white on bread if they see bugz bunny grinning at them.

Semper Fi

farkle84

charger, the only advice i can say is that if you have tough feet like me, make sure your boots fit, you can wear the socks issued by your OSO for day to day stuff, but on your first libo, go to Q-town and by some of the thicker socks for the humps, endurance course, etc.

charger

Thanks again guys. I ship out a week from sunday. Little nervous about everything, but I just gotta suck it up and do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.