• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS-Felony Waiver

das

Contributor
For these purposes, it often doesn't matter if the record was expunged, sealed, etc., or any number of other various terms that can vary from state to state. If the event occurred, it needs to be waivered based on Department of the Navy guidelines. This is from the Navy Enlisting Recruiting Manual (COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8H), but it is still a good reference for the way the Marine Corps looks at things as well:

d. Expungement. Some states have established procedures for the subsequent "expunging of the record", "dismissal of charges", or "pardon" upon evidence of rehabilitation of the offender. Such action has the legal effect of extinguishing the initial "conviction" or "adverse juvenile adjudication" so that, under state law, the applicant has no record of conviction or adverse juvenile adjudication. In spite of this action, the record must be revealed and a waiver of the applicant's disqualification(s) is required at the proper enlistment decision level.

e. Felony

(1) A "felony" is defined as a conviction or adverse adjudication by civil authorities (foreign or domestic), or action taken which is tantamount to a finding of guilty of an offense for which the maximum penalty is confinement under state or local law exceeding one year. Refer to offenses listed in Exhibit 020802 for general felony offenses.

(2) An offense is classified a "felony" without regard to the offender's age when the offense was committed, or whether the offense was disposed of by juvenile or adult criminal proceedings. A felony charge that is adjudicated as a felony which is amended later to a lesser offense classification shall be considered a felony for enlistment waiver purposes. Any applicant arrested, charged, cited, or adjudicated with a felony offense regardless of final offense disposition/adjudication rendered by any court or civil authority must be referred to COMNAVCRUITCOM (00J) for a mandatory COMNAVCRUITCOM offense classification determination.

Even self-admitted activity where there has never been a conviction must still be waived in accordance with the guidelines. If your waiver has been denied, you might be done -- for now. The passage of time is a good mitigating factor. If you really want this, continue to stay out of trouble, better yourself, and try again in the future.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no its not on my record....so technically i was never convicted or a convicted felon

This has been discussed many times before. Although you may think "it's not on [your] record" and "wiped clean", it is still there and will always be there for law enforcement and recruiting/security clearance purposes.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
This has been discussed many times before. Although you may think "it's not on [your] record" and "wiped clean", it is still there and will always be there for law enforcement and recruiting/security clearance purposes.

so what's the point, because that seems like all the important reasons anyone would want to have a record sealed or expunged.

"Oh don't worry, you're record is sealed, just anyone that asks will be able to see it"

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
so what's the point, because that seems like all the important reasons anyone would want to have a record sealed or expunged.

"Oh don't worry, you're record is sealed, just anyone that asks will be able to see it"

It's more that prosecutors in any subsequent trials won't be able to use it. Yeah, they'll know it's there, but it'll be inadmissible. For Big Wide World purposes, there's no distinction, AFAIK.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's more that prosecutors in any subsequent trials won't be able to use it. Yeah, they'll know it's there, but it'll be inadmissible. For Big Wide World purposes, there's no distinction, AFAIK.

Actually, in most all cases prior bad deeds (convictions and arrests) are not admissible in a trial. You stand trial based on the evidence against you for the crime you are accused of. There are some exceptions, and there are even some clever ways a prosecuter can get that info before a jury if the situation presents itself (usually when a defense lawyer screws up). But those are exceptions to the rule.

So what is the point of an expunged record? Well, you don't have to admit to the record if asked about it on a civilian application. Your landlord, civilian employer (non-public safety), lender, etc can run a back ground check on you and it won't come up. But I truly believe it is there just so the offender gets a warm fuzzy. When it really matters, like heyjoe said, you must disclose and they will find out.

Clux4

Banned
Have you tried to enlist and see if things will change base on commendatory performance/service?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So what is the pint of an expunged record? Well, you don't have to admit to the record if asked about it on a civilian application. Your landlord, civilian employer (non-public safety), lender, etc can run a back ground check on you and it won't come up. But I truly believe it is there just so the offender gets a warm fuzzy. When it really matters, like heyjoe said, you must disclose and they will find out.

In Tennessee, an expungement equates to literally a big black sharpie lining out the offense. So, if someone looks at your record, they'll see the offense marked out but won't be able to see what it was.

The one thing that was unclear was whether they expunge the arrest records/officer's reports, etc, which could be used by an enterprising individual to find out the info I suppose.

Granted, that's how it's supposed to work in Tennessee, probably varies state-to-state.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In Tennessee, an expungement equates to literally a big black sharpie lining out the offense. So, if someone looks at your record, they'll see the offense marked out but won't be able to see what it was.

The one thing that was unclear was whether they expunge the arrest records/officer's reports, etc, which could be used by an enterprising individual to find out the info I suppose.

Granted, that's how it's supposed to work in Tennessee, probably varies state-to-state.

And that is how it is usually found out. If an investigators see the "big black sharpie" they can assume it was anything, including something more serious then the actual offense. Either way, they now have what detectives call a 'clue'. With that they are off sniffing around court records of all sorts (judgments might be expunged but transcripts not), police reports, even newspaper articles. When I was recruting I told guys that NOTHING was truely expunged and they had to admit everything no matter what a judge or lawyer said. If you don't cop to it and it is found out latter it is bad news. I have seen that.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If you don't cop to it and it is found out latter it is bad news. I have seen that.

Yeah, I saw that happen first hand in boot camp. A guy did something, don't know what, but he didn't tell his recruiter. Our RDC's came and jerked his ass out of training lightening fast, then proceeded to beat the rest of us in the division while telling us this.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Maybe I can shed a little light on the whole "sealed" record "withheld judgment", "expunged" deal.

I worked for a state agency as an investigator, primarily running background checks on people wanting jobs with access to the vulnerable (kids, disabled, elderly, etc.)

We fingerprinted everyone with a fancy fingerprint scanner do-hicky. Results often came back in minutes, and I read many a rap sheets. If you were EVER arrested and fingerprinted (save for before 1910 or so) and the arresting agency did their job, the arrest record resides with the FBI. The FBI is the national fingerprint repository. On said arrest record and the NCIC check, it will have literally 1. what the arrest was for and 2. the disposition.

So anyone running a national background check (FBI) on you using your fingerprints, ssn, dob, name, etc. will see what the arrest was for. They will also be able to see if it was expunged, withheld, acquitted, dropped, sealed, etc., different states have different rules wrt minor records being sealed but that's a whole 'nother deal.