• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS date in BDCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrklr

If your in college still and in BDCP with an OCS date, what happens if you haven't graduated by the time you reach your OCS date? Obviously they can't send you to OCS without a degree, so do they take just extend your date? Has this happened to anyone? I know that you fill out a degree completion form for the BDCP app. saying when you are expected to graduate, but it doesn't really guarantee the graduation date. Also, does anyone know what happens when you don't stay on track with the completion form? Any experience anyone has had with this I would appreciate hearing.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
This is a case of something that you DON'T want to happen. From what I understand, if you don't stay on track, the BDCP board can boot you out of the program and make you serve your 2 yr. enlisted commitment, per contract. If you don't graduate on time, and you would graduate the semester after your "expected" graduation date, I have heard that they might either decide to extend your contract (as long as you graduate before you serve 3 years in the BDCP) OR they might just let you finish up your degree WITHOUT PAY/Benefits, but still allow you to keep your expected OCS date (if possible). I haven't talked to anyone that this has happened before though... just what the recruiter told me when I asked him these questions. In my case, I graduate in May and don't leave til August. This would give me the summer to complete my degree (if the board would let me) if something were to go wrong (This better not jinx me). Hope this helps.

Dustin

navy101

You do not have to follow the degree completion(I haven't and the Navy has said nothing to me for not following it), but you do have to graduate when you said you would. I was told by NRD Jax that if I did not graduate on time that the Navy would stop the pay/benefits, but they would let me finish school and go to OCS on later date instead of having to enlist for 2 years.

solenita72

SWO Wife
My husband's origional date for OCS was 6 months before he actually graduated. He changed his major right after he first got into BDCP. All he had to do was write a letter to the recruiting district's chain of command explaining the extra semester (degree change) and why he needed the extra time and he was granted it, with no penalties. His first date was May 01, he graduated Dec 01 and then didn't go to OCS until Sept 02.....he had alot of time before reporting, all with pay/benefits. Actually ended up with a cood conduct ribbon for being enlisted 3 years, even though he never wore a uniform!

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Well, Solenita Your husband must have been pretty lucky. From what I understand, the Navy doesn't like to pay BDCP'ers more than they have to. (Usually, you graduate , then you ship a month or two) But, your husband was able to milk the system for 9 MONTHS??? Take advantage of that as much as possible. It is nice that us lucky ones that will be in the BDCP for 3 years before we go to OCS, because when we get O-1 pay, it is for the >3 year column, not the <2 year column!! (time=$$$) Just thought I would emphasize how lucky your husband is!!!

solenita72

SWO Wife
They tried to get him an earlier slot but couldn't, that is why he ended up with the extra time.....it was a good thing, he was very lucky and yes the pay is better now!

jrklr

excellent info., thanks a lot. I ask because I may be selected for BDCP in the near future and still have 2 1/2 years of school left if I'm lucky (my degree takes 90% of the people in the major 5 years to get out and I'm trying to do it in 4!). I think that it will be difficult to meet this deadline that I set for myself on my app., but I should be within a quarter of the date at the most so hopefully I'll have nothing to worry about. BDCP is scary in that way though, knowing that if you slack off they can make you enlist.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Scarry?? Why that's where responsibility comes into play my friend. Remember, when you're in the BDCP, you're subject to the UCMJ (and yes, ALL of the rules and regulations). Because of this, you sometimes have to make some lifestyle changes (even before you go to OCS) Reality is a #$#tch sometimes, huh? It all pays off in the end though. Don't slack off.

navy101

Don't even worry about. Enjoy the money, do good in college, and exercise for the prt's. If you do that you will be just fine. One last thing, do not get into any trouble with the law.

NuSnake

haha, navy101 are you speaking from experience???

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

NuSnake

haha, yeah, I recieved those same stern words......

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

tali264

hmmmmmmm, I got no stern words. Maybe it's just you two. Maybe you have that look in your eye!!
tongue_125.gif
LOL

leothelion

I've got something just the opposite. My initial graduation was for May 03 but I was able to graduate by Dec 02. When I figured this out (Feb 02), I immediately notified my recruiter. He had me fill out another BDC form and that was that. Total, I've been on the BDCP for 2 years. 3 years SOUNDS SOOO GOOD! It only took 6-8 weeks for me to get an OCS date/orders. They were emailed to me last Friday, for Feb 8th!!! Class 17-03, join the chat room!

jrklr: Graduating early is great, just watch those grades.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Congratulations Leothelion. It's glad to hear that I'm not the only one milking the system around here in the BDCP for 3 years. I have probably taken advantage of every possible option active duty allows (that includes MGI Bill), and am loving every bit.

Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.