• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Chow Hall Procedures

mbraesicke

Ranger
Found this video on youtube, not sure if it's been posted before. Gives some insight into one aspect of OCS. Class 18-09.

EDIT: Just found an older thread where this had been posted. I thought i'd hit the chow hall goldmine but it looks like someone came before me! Good info nonetheless.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Found this video on youtube, not sure if it's been posted before. Gives some insight into one aspect of OCS. Class 18-09.

EDIT: Just found an older thread where this had been posted. I thought i'd hit the chow hall goldmine but it looks like someone came before me! Good info nonetheless.

I wonder what happens when someone catches you eating with your right hand such as the girl on the left! Hmmmm... ;)

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Ahhh....the memories :icon_mi_1 Just know that those guys are doing their last chow before grad. What you will experience the first 10-11 weeks (if your on the fast track) WILL NOT be that easy nor relaxed.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I didn't know you had to use your left hand. Are they trying to starve the OC's to death?

You pick it up really quickly, along with inventive ways to eat things like an apple, ribs, or a steak with just your War Spoon.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
One tip to surviving at OCS is getting tons of dinner rolls when they have them. Easy to eat and lots of carbs and calories in each one. I'd get 4 every time and I was good to go. Steak is not as hard to cut with a spoon as people make it out to be. You have to learn to scout the food for the day and then plan accordingly about which spoon you will grab. Some are more effective at cutting while some scoop more.

Eating is not hard at OCS. It's just annoying and funny as hell. Worry more about how you're not going to burst out laughing when the guy across from you pops his head up with a bunch of noodles hanging out of his mouth.

Falker

Not Air Force
One tip to surviving at OCS is getting tons of dinner rolls when they have them. Easy to eat and lots of carbs and calories in each one. I'd get 4 every time and I was good to go. Steak is not as hard to cut with a spoon as people make it out to be. You have to learn to scout the food for the day and then plan accordingly about which spoon you will grab. Some are more effective at cutting while some scoop more.

Eating is not hard at OCS. It's just annoying and funny as hell. Worry more about how you're not going to burst out laughing when the guy across from you pops his head up with a bunch of noodles hanging out of his mouth.

Or worry about someone like me trying to make you laugh from across the table.

There's nothing like watching someone eat King Crab legs left-handed with a spoon.

SShanerBaner

Or worry about when the person across from you has to cough with powerade in their mouth. After the first couple weeks you get it down to the point where you don't even think about it. Some of the best tests of bearing are when funny things happen in chow hall. Example: a drill instructor yelling at a female OC who isn't eating her meat, asking her if she is a vegetarian, and when she says no giving her step by step instructions on how to eat the meat with the war spoon. "HACK AT THE MEAT! HACK AT IT! NOW SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR THROOOOAAAATTTT!"

Falker

Not Air Force
The funniest thing I saw was when I was standing at the table holding my gouge pack up getting ready to take seats. My DI, who shall remain nameless, was standing directly in front of me next to the window between tables. Another guy in my company comes strolling down the aisle and traps my drill instructor in the aisle between tables. He then stops and freezes, thinking of what the hell to do when he sees my DI in the aisle. The next 10-15 seconds I was laughing hysterically in my mind because my DI stood there staring at him trying to make the whole situation awkward and hilarious. After what seemed like an eternity my DI starts walking slowly towards my friend and simply puts his index finger into my friends chest and pushed him backwards 15 feet. My friend was forever known as "Showdown"

Then there was the time my DI thought someone adjusted their gouge pack and called the aforementioned person out. No one responded, so he started screaming and ran at the table. In the process of accusing someone of twitching, he ran into the table and knocked everybody's Powerade and waters over. The faces of my shipmates were priceless. I believe the punishment that day was mark-timing at right shoulder for an hour. Fun times.

I was incredibly sick throughout the middle of OCS, which I was righteously taunted for, so I wasn't everybody's favorite person during chow. I felt sorry for the person who was unlucky enough to sit in front of me. There was a time where I could not stop coughing, and various bits of food ended up on the other person's face. Our DI did not allow us to turn our heads to cough. I remember one day I accidentally coughed rice onto a friend and it stuck on his cheek the entire time.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'll be honest, this is the thing that worries me most about OCS. The beatings, yelling, and mind games I know I can handle. But eating in 15 steps with a spoon? I dunno about that!

How long do you get to eat? It looks like there's an hour scheduled for it, but when I think about having to file everyone in and then wait for everyone to eat at the same time, that doesn't seem as long.

Falker

Not Air Force
I'll be honest, this is the thing that worries me most about OCS. The beatings, yelling, and mind games I know I can handle. But eating in 15 steps with a spoon? I dunno about that!

How long do you get to eat? It looks like there's an hour scheduled for it, but when I think about having to file everyone in and then wait for everyone to eat at the same time, that doesn't seem as long.

You get 20 minutes to eat in 5 minute blocks. Every 5 minutes your Section Leader will give the time hack. Once you learn it by the numbers you won't even think about it. When you're allowed to eat normally in Candio phase you will catch yourself extending knife hands to grab your drink. Honestly, chow hall is the most relaxing time of the day because you're not being bothered (usually), and it feels like you're in your own little world for a total of 60 minutes of the day.

jtmedli

pilot
In the video I noticed everyone had a name on the back of their shirt. Does everyone wind up with a nickname before finishing OCS, what's that all about?

Yeah pretty much. Your class will design/order shirts and everyone gets a nickname. Usually it's something pretty funny.