• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS beatings and odd exercises

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Probably because they aren't really "workouts"... For the most part you are not building your body up, just breaking it down.

True. My shoulders are still tweaked from doing diamonds and the like.

bb1125

None
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I sure felt like I had been beat with a baseball bat by about Thurs. of indoc week. Seriously, I had a top rack in squad bay and it hurt like hell getting in and out of that rack.

On another note, when we had our ceremonial final "beating" in the rose garden the morning of our graduation, when we were finished, our DI asked how long we thought we had been getting beat. We started guessing 10, 15, maybe 20 minutes...nope. We had been there exactly 3 minutes. Making you hurt is truly an art form to the DI's.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Callling them beatings is just stupid.
If DI's could...
chokinggamekp9.jpg

...they would. After a "workout" you feel like you got beat, not like you just worked out. Plus most of the time they are given to you as punishment for whatever transgressions you or your class did, ergo, beatings.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone care to explain "bends and thrusts?" There are a thousand ways I can think of bending and thrusting - I guess I'm just conceptually challenged.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
What happens if your muscles just fail at some point during those exercises? You know, you're doing the 50 ____s and you hit failure.

I've heard it's hard to attrite from OCS without DORing as long as you give it your best shot so I'm wondering what happens to you.

badger16

None
What happens if your muscles just fail at some point during those exercises? You know, you're doing the 50 ____s and you hit failure.

I've heard it's hard to attrite from OCS without DORing as long as you give it your best shot so I'm wondering what happens to you.

If you fail...keep going. during RLP I was doing push ups on my rack yelling " 1-2-3-4-I-Love-Marine-Corps!" for like 15 minutes and by about the 5th minute I just looked like I was doing that dance, the worm. I just yelled as loud as I could and tried to make it look good. They know you can't do push ups for over an hour. They just want to see you TRY to do push ups for over an hour.

badger16

None
I'm probably gonna get flamed to shit for this, specifically since I haven't been there yet.. and I'm sure it's probably worse when combined with the other stresses of OCS, but.. complaining about burpies? Didn't anyone here play high school football?

I'm not going to flame, all i am going to say is just wait and see, just wait and see.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If DI's could...

...they would. After a "workout" you feel like you got beat, not like you just worked out. Plus most of the time they are given to you as punishment for whatever transgressions you or your class did, ergo, beatings.

But they don't, and they aren't.......still stupid.......:(

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot

You just keep going, 99% of it all is not quitting. The DI's know you cant do all that stuff perfect, they just want to see you put out 100% all the time. Its the quitters and sandbaggers that get singled out and usually roll. And I can say that with 100% certainty that we never did any 'normal' exercises, to include running. My DI made us run 'POW' style with our hands behind our back every where, its tougher than it sounds. And after you got out of the cat-sh!t infested rose garden after an hour of all of those exercises, you felt like you took a beating because you did.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone care to explain "bends and thrusts?" There are a thousand ways I can think of bending and thrusting - I guess I'm just conceptually challenged.

Start by standing up. Squat down. Thrust both your legs back, while using your arms to support you (basically push up position). Do the reverse and stand back up.

I haven't heard hop and pops mentioned. I think the popping part is to make your heart pop. It's a side straddle hop (jumping jack) followed by a pushup. It's a 4 count exercise. I will count the cadence. You will count the repetition........

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Exactly. Everyone fails. You just keep getting pushed when you fail. You may not be able to do another push up, but you're gonna stay down there struggling for another 10 minutes. The second you decide that you are gonna stop giving a true 100% effort is when you're in real trouble.

@flash: We probably called them beatings because some of the DIs called them that... Or "slaying pigs", "killing you", "murdering you", etc. As in "As soon as you get back from class I'm gonna murder you. Send someone to come get me so I can beat you before chow."

@porw0004: Yea I played high school football... And D-I college football, and trust me it will challenge anyone. Even the SEALs in our class were put in a good deal of pain and struggled sometimes. You will be pushed to failure... and then told to go further.

For what its worth, I would have rather have my DI actually hit me sometimes... And mine had to spend two weeks on administrative leave because he actually did cross the line.

OCS is doable, and anyone in fairly good shape can get through it, but it WILL be painfull. I don't care how in shape you are its gonna hurt one way or another. I don't think anyone is trying to make it out to be worse than it actually is. But it will be challenging, for almost anyone.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
But they don't, and they aren't.......still stupid.......:(

Well if you haven't been through it, it's hard to understand (almost impossible, really). It's sort of a badge of honor for us. That we made it through. It's tradition. Similar to Fraternity hazing, I guess.

I don't understand the joy, honor, and rite of passage of climbing up a lard-greased obelisk, but I don't shit on those who take pride in it. ;)

Start by standing up. Squat down. Thrust both your legs back, while using your arms to support you (basically push up position). Do the reverse and stand back up.

I haven't heard hop and pops mentioned. I think the popping part is to make your heart pop. It's a side straddle hop (jumping jack) followed by a pushup. It's a 4 count exercise. I will count the cadence. You will count the repetition........

It's sounds so damn simple in black and white, but in person, that crazy gunny WILL certainly make your friggin heart pop.

"Ahh one, two, three"

"ZERO ONE!"

"Ahh one, two, three"

"ZERO TWO!"

:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well if you haven't been through it, it's hard to understand (almost impossible, really). It's sort of a badge of honor for us. That we made it through. It's tradition. Similar to Fraternity hazing, I guess.

I know exactly what you mean, and I didn't have to climb a lard covered obelisk to 'get it' either.

Part of the reason it sounds so foolish, and stupid, is that it is like you are trying to talk it up more than it really was. People who don't know the secret handshake, or the special reach around, will think you are describing something much worse, and it really isn't. Almost all other military accession programs do the same thing, and yet don't want to call it something more than it really is, so what makes Navy OCS so special? Not much I would suppose.

Unless you really got your ass beat, which doesn't happen anymore, quit pretending.