• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Walt2096

All, I am trying to applying for 1820, Information Professional. I am in Pearl Harbor, HI. I have a couple questions about the application.
I intend to have 4 LORs hopefully, one or two from O-6s. 2 from O-5. And one from O-4.
Does the rank really matter on LOR or more about the body of the recommendation.
Secondly, I am working to conduct interviews with 3 people locally in the IP community. Does the rank of the interviewers carry a lot of weight?
Any tips for interviews?
Lastly my primary concern and stump as of now is in the package it has section for extra curricular activities and special skills.
My command does not allow us to take major collateral duties due to our frequent travels. I have divisional collaterals and LPO but no command ones. I held command ones when attached to my submarine. But between traveling frequently and working to obtain my bachelors and now working for masters while active duty I have not had much time for anything volunteer. I worked a late second job to get myself out of a situation.
Is this something typical for active duty members? Could this damage my package?
The same goes for special skills, I have moderate bilingual for Spanish and sign language due to wife and son. But nothing crazy.

My other statistics is GPA 3.722
Bachelor’s of Science in IT Management finished in NOV 2023
Awaiting to take OAR
Currently going to school for master’s.
Medically good to go.
Only warfare device is Submarine Qualification.
Currently E-6 at 8 years, which I will have to get a waiver.
Last couple evals E-5 EP, XFR EP, NOB E-6 MP, and most recent E-6 EP.
Currently and ITS.
26 years old.

That is all I can think of currently. I will be glad to provide anything else if it helps. And I appreciate anyone’s times for feedback and opinions. Thank you !

exNavyOffRec

Go for O-4 or above, try to get some from those that actually have seen you perform as IWC is one of the communities that will read the entire application.
Languages don't matter, don't worry about extra curricular activities, the most important things are your high GPA and your degree.
Waivers are essentially rubber stamped at NRC then you just need to have the board see past the waiver.

Walt2096

Go for O-4 or above, try to get some from those that actually have seen you perform as IWC is one of the communities that will read the entire application.
Languages don't matter, don't worry about extra curricular activities, the most important things are your high GPA and your degree.
Waivers are essentially rubber stamped at NRC then you just need to have the board see past the waiver.
Are you saying O-4 or above for interviews or LOR’s. If for the LORs then they are all prior CO or DH so have seen me perform.
If you are talking about for interviews. I unfortunately do not work with IP’s so I cannot really get interviews in that sense. I was planning on doing interviews with one IP and then two with officers I know. But I was told that to improve package they should all be with IPs but the checklist says only one from community applying required.
Good to know about the language thing, I’m still trying to figure out skills, because I don’t want to do basic things like adaptive to environments and critical thinker or something.
But I don’t have any crazy things luck it mentions of being truly bilingual or certified pilot.
Also thank you regarding extracurriculars I wasn’t sure if that was more for civilians who attended college in person or mattered a lot for Active duty as well.
After reviewing everything the only waiver I need is exceeding 8 years for TIS. The only other hiccup would be if I don’t hit minimum on 50 on OAR.
I appreciate your advice and knowledge!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All, I am trying to applying for 1820, Information Professional. I am in Pearl Harbor, HI. I have a couple questions about the application.
I intend to have 4 LORs hopefully, one or two from O-6s. 2 from O-5. And one from O-4.
Does the rank really matter on LOR or more about the body of the recommendation.
Secondly, I am working to conduct interviews with 3 people locally in the IP community. Does the rank of the interviewers carry a lot of weight?
Any tips for interviews?
Lastly my primary concern and stump as of now is in the package it has section for extra curricular activities and special skills.
My command does not allow us to take major collateral duties due to our frequent travels. I have divisional collaterals and LPO but no command ones. I held command ones when attached to my submarine. But between traveling frequently and working to obtain my bachelors and now working for masters while active duty I have not had much time for anything volunteer. I worked a late second job to get myself out of a situation.
Is this something typical for active duty members? Could this damage my package?
The same goes for special skills, I have moderate bilingual for Spanish and sign language due to wife and son. But nothing crazy.

Awaiting to take OAR
Medically good to go.
Currently and ITS.
26 years old.

That is all I can think of currently. I will be glad to provide anything else if it helps. And I appreciate anyone’s times for feedback and opinions. Thank you !

Welcome to the page. There are lots of resources here at your disposal that can assist with your application, use the search function to help you out here.

Being that you are a fleet applicant definitely leverage your CCC and find an officer mentor or two to help you out during this process.

Good luck.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Any tips for interviews?

Awaiting to take OAR
Medically good to go.
Currently and ITS.
26 years old.

Not sure how important it is for an 1820 vs 1825 application to have, but you might want to sit the CISSP exam to accelerate your status. You’re gonna want this eventually

Whiskeyrice

Hi there,

I just graduated from OCS as an IP. Used to be an IT1.

Your degree and high GPA will be enough. Don't stress too much about building the perfect package, just a complete one so there's no kickbacks or extra processes halting your progress.

The only other major contribution to it would be any certifications you possess. Most IP selects have been prior service recently so even with that TIS waiver you'll be in a good position. Good luck!

boulai

Hi there,

I just graduated from OCS as an IP. Used to be an IT1.

Your degree and high GPA will be enough. Don't stress too much about building the perfect package, just a complete one so there's no kickbacks or extra processes halting your progress.

The only other major contribution to it would be any certifications you possess. Most IP selects have been prior service recently so even with that TIS waiver you'll be in a good position. Good luck!
You giving me hope. I just applied to the March board for both MCWO and IP. Was prior enlisted and in the reserves now. My OAR is horrible (46) and have to submit a waiver, but I do have a BS in Computer Science, MS in Cybersecurity, sec+, Cysa+, CASP+, and recently passed my CISSP and submitted with my packet. I also worked at a Cybersecurity Systems Engineer in the civilian. Just received an email from Mr. Paul Celestin that my packet is pending consideration for the AT board list before the convene date on April 8th. Getting quite anxious while waiting, but only time will tell now.