• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCD, SSRIs, and Aviation

Rocky 1776

Is there anyone out there on this forum who successfully got a waiver for having OCD and/or got a waiver for taking SSRIs? What about while you were an SNA? The standards are certainly not in my favor, especially for an SNA, but I figured it was worth a post on here. Currently in med hold at flight school.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is there anyone out there on this forum who successfully got a waiver for having OCD and/or got a waiver for taking SSRIs? What about while you were an SNA? The standards are certainly not in my favor, especially for an SNA, but I figured it was worth a post on here. Currently in med hold at flight school.

You might be able to find your answer through the NAMI guide.

Rocky 1776

You might be able to find your answer through the NAMI guide.
Yes, in the NAMI AERO guide there are waivers available for both of these things. However, the language is very restrictive, especially towards SNAs. It seems almost like a waiver is "available" in name only, and in reality is not given, for both SNAs and for those who are designated. Its perplexing to me why these things are "waiverable" if no one seems to get the waivers and many urge SNAs not to even attempt/request them.

There is also confusing language in regards to SNAs....We are obviously not designated....But we are also not applicants. I had a valid upchit already and was flying.... More things are waiverbale for those who are designated than those who are applicants. Where an SNA falls on that spectrum is unclear.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I find it hard to believe that there’s not standards for student aviators. Not like thousands go through the pipeline annually.

Rocky 1776

I've spent hours researching these publications. Certainly, the complete waiver guide acknowledges the fact that there are applicants, students, and those who are designated. However, in many of the specific sections for conditions/topics, especially the mental health related sections, the only discussion is applicants OR designated, with no clear mention of students.

Ex. "Designated Members are eligible for waiver consideration while on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Applicants will not be considered for a waiver if on maintenance pharmacotherapy". This text then references another section of the waiver guide which again only Cleary delineates between those who are designated and those who are applicants.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is also confusing language in regards to SNAs....We are obviously not designated....But we are also not applicants. I had a valid upchit already and was flying.... More things are waiverbale for those who are designated than those who are applicants. Where an SNA falls on that spectrum is unclear.

Historically, you are considered an applicant until you have your Whammy physical at Pensacola. Then you're considered a SNA. Prior upchits aren't relevant to the applicant/SNA classification as far as NAMI is concerned.