• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama's Visit To The "War Zone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I would be in favor of making some military service, O or E, a requirement to be Commander in Chief.

It just makes sense to me that if someone is going to be in charge of the world's most powerful military, they should at least know what it's like to be a part of that military. Just my .02

If this is your reasoning, then why shouldn't they also be required to have service as National Park Service rangers...and TSA...and every other large arm of the government?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
...This was sent to me by the friend's
wife. The friendis stationed in Afghanistan and witnessed the actions of Senator Obama ...This is his first hand view of Senator Obama..
.bullshit bullshit bullshit... words words words...

-1 for posting total BS, and then trying to pass it off as true. "your friend saw this... " http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp "First hand view" my ass...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, it was bullshit.

I find it's interesting to see what people will believe of someone. Bullshit and rumors spring up all the time, but the rumors that spread like wildfire tend to be the ones that fit in to people's prejudices and preconceptions. Things like this feed into some people's fears that he's another anti-military lefty, and for others who feel that they just don't know what he actually does stand for.

Nothing at all to do with truth or fairness, but then, little in politics ever does.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, it was bullshit... I find it's interesting to see what people will believe of someone. Bullshit and rumors spring up all the time, but the rumors that spread like wildfire tend to be the ones that fit in to people's prejudices and preconceptions...

"See, I know this guy who said he heard it from a friend, who's actually in Afghanistant, that Obama said..."

I am still amazed at how fast BS can spread across the interweb.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Hmmm...

Here is the Senator from Illinois, not visiting the troops:
20obamanewspanqe3.jpg

Not shaking hands here:
originalav5.jpg

Nor signing autographs here:
originalmf2.jpg

I went to one of his rallies in Grand Rapids, MI, when Edwards officially endorsed him. While I wasn't anywhere near him (I swear half of the state was there), he DID stand around signing autographs, shaking hands, and talking to people. He wasn't "hurrying past" large crowds of his supportive constituency, so I'm going to go ahead and call b/s on this rumor.

I really honestly will never understand how the man can go overseas and be so well-received by the rest of the world, and by world leaders, and yet people here at home will *STILL* find a way to take issue with the fact that the rest of the world appears to like the man. It's always somethin'.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not an Obama fan..however, to the OP..check your facts before posting such nonsense. It only makes you look bad. It does seem as if you tried to pass this off because a friend saw it. To me, that looks like one big bold face lie.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I would be in favor of making some military service, O or E, a requirement to be Commander in Chief.

It just makes sense to me that if someone is going to be in charge of the world's most powerful military, they should at least know what it's like to be a part of that military. Just my .02

Our founding fathers believed in civilian control of the military. Making it mandatory that in order to run for president you must have served in the military goes against that thinking.

It is the same reason as to why you do not have to be a Judge or have a law degree to sit on the Supreme Court.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Our founding fathers believed in civilian control of the military. Making it mandatory that in order to run for president you must have served in the military goes against that thinking.

It is the same reason as to why you do not have to be a Judge or have a law degree to sit on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, I get it. I'll still prefer a president who has served over one who has spent nearly as much time campaigning as he has actually serving on the Senate.

This may be idiotic for some reason I'm not seeing, but why are we paying people to sit on the Senate when they are campaigning for the presidency? Both McCain and Obama have seemingly spent zero time doing the jobs they are being paid to do. I think they should be taken off the payroll and out of their seats in congress if they decide to run.

Flame on, I'm sure that will be sure to piss someone off :D.

Zissou

Banned

I agree with your point.

But we are at war, it is issue number 1 with me.

I will not vote for a candidate so grossly under qualified to make the final decision on any war issues.

His disregard for Gen. Petraeus's request for more combat force was proof enough for me to have zero confidence in his war time leadership.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I agree with your point.

But we are at war, it is issue number 1 with me.

I will not vote for a candidate so grossly under qualified to make the final decision on any war issues.

His disregard for Gen. Petraeus's request for more combat force was proof enough to for me to have zero confidence in his war time leadership.

Just out of curiosity, who are we at war with? I know we are at "war" (smirk) but I don't recall us EVER defining who the enemy is. Oh wait... "terror".

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well everything else aside, do you REALLY think that Obama is so obtuse that he wouldn't think that doing something like this would give him bad press? Not to mention he has all sorts of campaign advisors and managers who TELL him what he needs to do, where he needs to go and everything that will make him look good or bad. Do you think they'd let him get away with doing that? My god, if a candidate SNEEZES, the media will claim that he's trying to commit biochemical warfare. They are under huge scrutiny during their campaigns. This seems highly suspect without even going to snopes.com

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, who are we at war with? I know we are at "war" (smirk) but I don't recall us EVER defining who the enemy is. Oh wait... "terror".

Based on the number of people (just on this board) who HAVE been to "war" in its current form - you might want to be a bit less of a punk about what you're trying to say here.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

As opposed to the 72-year old cranky/senile cancer patient? I respect McCain's prior service, but his career was not exactly a beacon of leadership and responsibility. Many of his contemporaries - some of them decorated combat vets during Vietnam - have blasted him publically. He crashed *five* planes and 5th of the bottom of his class of almost 900.

I'd rather take the civilian who spent several years after getting his JD from Harvard Law to do pro-bono civil rights work for poor people. Just because he was never in the military doesn't mean he's going to be any more out of touch than the current Administration who "had other priorities in the '60s than military service." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#Vietnam_War_draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.