• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama to skip Arlington on Memorial Day, VP to stand in.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

I fail to see how going to Chicago is a great broken promise . . .

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yea, ok, so Bush Sr. must have been a scumbag for sending Quayle in 1992 while he went to Maine. Or Reagan for sending a Deputy Secretary of Defense in 1983. The President will be speaking from a national cemetery.....just a different one. Or do the the vets buried at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery get second billing?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/05/obama-will-use-memorial-weeken.html?wprss=44

Still trying to figure out what I think of this.....

Hoping this is a cover story for a drop in visit to Bagram or Baghdad.
I heard this on my way into work this morning. I'll be honest. It pissed me off. I can't think of anything more disrespectful to our veterans and military personnel. It just seems like any time any high vis military related event takes place, he sends out his lightweight Biden in his place. For the record, Clinton went to Arlington each of the 8 years of his presidency. GW went 7 years and the one he missed, he spent at the American Cemetery in Normandy. I hope you're right about him going to the ME, but I'm not holding my breath.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So because Bush Sr missed one to go home to Kennebunkport, he respects the military less than Clinton? Is that really a benchmark for "respect for the military", where he chooses to commemorate Memorial Day?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
For the record MMX, this was not intended to be a who's better than who thread. No one has written on this post that Obama needs to be more like any other previous president.

Might I suggest throttling back a bit and taking the story for what it is. He's skipping out on it - his prerogative... That being said, I disagree with it. That and $5.25 will get me a cup of coffee.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I think it's difficult for someone who hasn't been in the military, or someone who hasn't served in conflict to truly understand the sacrifices that soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines have made for our country. I sincerely believe that the actions and policies of those who didn't serve are significantly different from those who have. I won't compare Presidents to each other, I know that no person is perfect, and they all make mistakes. I just hope that on this significant occasion he takes the time to lead our nation in remembering those who gave everything in the defense of their country, their friends, and their family.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, ok, so Bush Sr. must have been a scumbag for sending Quayle in 1992 while he went to Maine. Or Reagan for sending a Deputy Secretary of Defense in 1983. The President will be speaking from a national cemetery.....just a different one. Or do the the vets buried at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery get second billing?
Hey, if he happened to be going to one in another town other than Chicago, you might have some credibility. But he's not. He's going back to his home town on vacation. I think maybe the vacation can wait. This is a pattern of behavior by this man.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
For the record MMX, this was not intended to be a who's better than who thread. No one has written on this post that Obama needs to be more like any other previous president.

Might I suggest throttling back a bit and taking the story for what it is. He's skipping out on it - his prerogative... That being said, I disagree with it. That and $5.25 will get me a cup of coffee.

It's a point of reference, dosed with some snark. Nobody would dispute that Bush Sr. respects the military, but he chose one year to go home to Maine and send Quayle in his stead. By arguing that he's "skipping out on it" as if it were an unwritten rule, then yes, you are comparing him to past presidents. And the difference....isn't very much.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's a cheap shot. You want to criticize his handling of the WTB's, the war, the budget, DADT or whether Ms. Obama is following up on her promises to help military families, fair points. To set a double standard for the venue of a speech? Seriously?