• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama plans quick move on Gitmo

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It is interesting because, from what I am reading, he wants to make a large impact in a short amount of time.

If he did, indeed, sh*tcan GTMO, that would have a large ripple-effect around the world.

I have no idea, however, what it would do for his Presidential relations with senior military Commanders.

We will have to wait and to see...

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
So then would it be safe to assume that when we release those detainees that are being held there that that will come back to bite us in the ass?

And yes I said 'release' because what in the hell are we going to do with them, move them somewhere else, move them to the sates, execute them? I know the latter is a choice that we can all.... not going there...you get the point.

^The first 100 days are definitely going to be interesting.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
It is interesting because, from what I am reading, he wants to make a large impact in a short amount of time.

Already has.

If he did, indeed, sh*tcan GTMO, that would have a large ripple-effect around the world.

Not really. And I've come to realize I don't give a fvck what Europe wants us to do.

I have no idea, however, what it would do for his Presidential relations with senior military Commanders.

Not much. A number of military commanders want to see it closed to. It's not worth it anymore.

IMHO - the entire world has no idea what's going on here and doesn't want to. Meanwhile, no one else will take equal responsibility for where these guys end up, because it's not their guys that'll get shot at once these guys are rereleased...http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/07/gitmo.bomber/index.html

We will have to wait and to see...

Indeed.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Not much new here. He has always said he would close it; I'm guessing he will move early to sign executive orders and tell the brass to move forward. He is making a definite change from the previous administration, and this is one of many changes coming our way.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I think that is the point: out of sight, out of mind.

They don't know what we do and aren't interested in finding out...sorry, maybe I should have worded that differently.

Bottom line, just like shoe throwers in Iraq...things would have been very different for these guys in different countries. They are lucky to have the attention they do and get the over-the-top humane treatment that we give them. No other country would offer near as much. THAT's what other countries want to ignore...they'd prefer to watch us flounder in the negative PR. Same $hit different day...:sleep_125:icon_rage

Again, we'll know more in about 100 days, and I'm not going into details, but you can be proud of your Joint Task Force down here...they're doing great things. Of course, that's because I'm part of it. :D

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
They are lucky to have the attention they do and get the over-the-top humane treatment that we give them. No other country would offer near as much. THAT's what other countries want to ignore...they'd prefer to watch us flounder in the negative PR. Same $hit different day...

Foreign soldiers/combatants should consider themselves lucky to be captured by the United States.

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
There is a reason we have quotes and saying...such as "nice guys finish last". I personally am sick of our play nice policies. Obviously I have no idea what happens behind the scenes...and I will always follow LOAC and ROE's, but god what would really happen if America actually got pissed off enough, shut down it's borders, shut down trade (assuming our economy could hold) and went into isolation and destroyed anything that **ck** with us. We would have groveling at our feet and fear would be in the eyes of any enemy. I say pack up all those in GITMO, bring them right here in the US, and guard that **it with everything we've got. Of course...we would have to grow a pair first, and by we I mean our friendly neighborhood politicians who somehow manage to get elected. I completely disagree with this decision and think it's just a way for Obama to make him look like he's doing alot in a little time. I can only imagine what people are saying about these things in the liberal college I graduated from....disgusting.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
^ Instant satisfaction society. He promised a lot in a short time and now he has to deliver.