• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NUPOC questions

dans

Hi, everyone. Sorry if some of these questions have been answered previously, I read what I could find about NUPOC via the search function and some posts were fairly old so I'm hoping to get some more up to date information.

How competitive is the NUPOC program right now? I just finished my junior year as an industrial engineer (minoring in six sigma and economics) and have a 3.21 cumulative GPA. How do I stack up? From what I've read, it seems like a 3.0+ in a technical major and a clean record is practically a shoo-in to interview. Also, is it true that the screeners don't even read your personal statement and skip straight to your transcript? Can the ability to speak a foreign language really impact your application (I can speak both Mandarin Chinese and German, though right now I'm very rusty at both)?

I was planning on submitting my application by the end of this week with the hope of interviewing in July but according to this thread (http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/july-boards.39058/) it seems like that ship has sailed. Would it somehow be possible to get a July board or would I have to wait until August?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
The Navy always needs nukes. As long as there are nuclear powered ships, there will be a need for nuclear officers. Just apply as find out. Pull the trigger. Good Luck!

exNavyOffRec

Hi, everyone. Sorry if some of these questions have been answered previously, I read what I could find about NUPOC via the search function and some posts were fairly old so I'm hoping to get some more up to date information.

How competitive is the NUPOC program right now? I just finished my junior year as an industrial engineer (minoring in six sigma and economics) and have a 3.21 cumulative GPA. How do I stack up? From what I've read, it seems like a 3.0+ in a technical major and a clean record is practically a shoo-in to interview. Also, is it true that the screeners don't even read your personal statement and skip straight to your transcript? Can the ability to speak a foreign language really impact your application (I can speak both Mandarin Chinese and German, though right now I'm very rusty at both)?

I was planning on submitting my application by the end of this week with the hope of interviewing in July but according to this thread (http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/july-boards.39058/) it seems like that ship has sailed. Would it somehow be possible to get a July board or would I have to wait until August?

I am going to answer bluntly because that is how the NUPOC process goes.

your minors, nukes don't give a shit
foreign language, nukes don't give a shit
3.0+ and tech major shoo in to interview - absolutely not, I have seen guys with 3.5 screened no
motivational statement, nukes don't give a shit.
transcripts, nuke DO give a shit

Do you have any technical classes B- or below? Have you retaken any technical classes, that is what they will be looking at.

Renegade One

None
NavyOffRec (apparently a "Well-Known Member"...how do I get THAT tag?!? :)) seems to have answered clearly and concisely. The Force is STRONG in this one.

Crud...that's probably MY problem...windy and overly verbose.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I have done an extensive review of your credentials and conclude you have a 42% chance of being accepted as a nuke.

/sarcasm

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
NavyOffRec (apparently a "Well-Known Member"...how do I get THAT tag?!? :))
I can't even figure out how to get rid of "new member" and put fancy wings under my photo.

on topic - physics and calc grades win the day for an invitation to the dance.