• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nugget61's PRK Process

capitoljake13

Ok, long story short (see all in Exo's thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145641&page=2 ) apparently the 3 month waiver is only for currently winged folks - applicants (who got Wavefront Guided, as you should) have to wait 6 months post op to submit their waiver paperwork. So there's that. Back after May 20 to report in on that.

What about non-custom PRK? Is there such a thing anymore? Or do you suppose he's referring to any and all PRK.

Also, that's convenient but a bit scary right? That is, to be able to FS before the waiver clears but then get all the way to OCS still running the risk of failing your flight physical.

Keep us updated and I might be PM'ing you again soon. I'm scheduled for PRK April 10... What are the odds of making OCS by Oct. 10 ha :)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
What about non-custom PRK? Is there such a thing anymore? Or do you suppose he's referring to any and all PRK.

Also, that's convenient but a bit scary right? That is, to be able to FS before the waiver clears but then get all the way to OCS still running the risk of failing your flight physical.

Keep us updated and I might be PM'ing you again soon. I'm scheduled for PRK April 10... What are the odds of making OCS by Oct. 10 ha :)

1. Non custom PRK still exists but I don't think it's really done anymore.
2. I think several people have been NPQ'd after completing OCS... I've read at least a couple secondhand horror stories about this situation. You may be allowed to transfer to SNFO or SWO though.
3. Odds for OCS by 10OCT2010... good :icon_wink

nugget61

pilot

1. Non custom PRK still exists but I don't think it's really done anymore.
2. I think several people have been NPQ'd after completing OCS... I've read at least a couple secondhand horror stories about this situation. You may be allowed to transfer to SNFO or SWO though.
3. Odds for OCS by 10OCT2010... good :icon_wink

Add to 1 - my Doc said that its around but its considered archaic and not nearly as successful as the WFG.
And to 2 - Yeah, scary stuff. But the flight physical is on like day 2 of OCS so you should know something then if your career in the navy is dependent on you flying. The waiver actually only clears after the flight physical - the doc today said that they don't trust the variance between civilian docs and use the standard at OCS to judge all the same.
Feel free to PM, I'm on here almost every day (hiding from school, ha).
And honestly, if you got Pro-Reced between then and now, you probably could hit OCS by Dec 1 if everything went well for you. ( I dunno how the winter standdown works though, so if you're looking to get the ball rolling fast you'll have to search around for that ).

Gnar

ohhhhh is this for real?!! Damnit, I am scheduled to get mine done on Friday... My OSO & flight Doc said 3 months... Feel like I am getting the ring around here :(

chase580

Waiver Guidelines

Just realized you posted the same info in another thread.

Attachments

• Waiver Guidelines for PRK.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 59

Junkball

pilot
Please read highlighted sections of attached file.

From what I can understand from the waiver guide, your pre-op myopia determines when the waiver can be submitted (correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't say anything about a time limit for applicants. Although it says in other parts of the guide, we are less likely to be recommended for a waiver.

That's what we thought, too. nugget61 called up to NAMI or something and got it from a Doc that non-winged folks must wait 6 months before submitting their waiver. The guidelines are rather ambiguous about the whole thing. I believe you need to have your waiver recommended or something prior to Final Select, hence the wait.

nugget61 said:
For future reference, I just got off the phone with a NAMI eye doc that processes the PRK waivers and he cleared up my situation for me.
What he said is that the 3 month waiver is only for currently designated aviators. The waiver guide is kinda misleading, and that it is to be fixed whenever they update it, but that if you have Wavefront Guided PRK (apparently the only one to get now adays) then you HAVE to wait 6 months before you can submit your waiver paperwork. Then he told me that (this is where the story differs from Exo's - dunno which doc is right) Navy recruiting command (see above letter) will then give a recommendation for a waiver and allow you to get a FS date and that NAMI will never see any of that data. What they do see is your flight physical taken from your first few days at OCS and they will give/not give a waiver at that point.
Just FYI for those that get similar letters and are confused about it.

from http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145641&page=2

nugget61

pilot
6 months Post op:

Went in today (6 months to the day, can you tell I want that FS?) to get my final checkup after the PRK to submit all of my paperwork. All went well, 20/15 -1 both eyes, so I'm stoked with that. Managed to pass the Randot depth test as well, after failing MEPS back in October. This should be the last of everything needed for the waiver, so hopefully that'll be in in about a month and I can get a FS letter and then an OCS date for right after I graduate July 26.

I threw it up in the stupid questions thread, but does anyone know if I can skip through the OCS depth test with my dr's note or will they have a Randot test there I'll have to do or what? I know they have the MEPS dots test, but don't know if they have the other ones. I'm also worried about being rushed, as it took me about 20 minutes and a VERY patient tech to get to 25 seconds of arc today (from 50 last week at my crummy regular eye doc).

ru838434

None of the circles popped out for me while looking through the machine, so they gave me glasses and had me look in a book. For the second test, there was a clear distinction between the recessed circles, and those in the foreground.

nugget61

pilot
None of the circles popped out for me while looking through the machine, so they gave me glasses and had me look in a book. For the second test, there was a clear distinction between the recessed circles, and those in the foreground.

Thats either the Randot or Stereo fly - I took both, and struggled with both, but managed to get to 25 seconds of arc with patience, so I'm sure I can do it again when I have to, given enough time.

nugget61

pilot
To keep this updated for anyone keeping up with it - heard back from the OR today that my "pre-waiver" or whatever it should be called was approved - 10 weeks to the day that they got it. Wish it hadn't taken so long as it cost me all of my BDCP money, but I hope to get a FS in the next few weeks so all is good.

As far as the surgery goes, I'm now 36 weeks post op and still seeing better than 20/20. Still have mild deterioration when I'm exhausted, however I'd guess no worse than about 20/30. Best money ever spent.

DavidC

Going in for the flight physical in a few weeks, so I'll soon know if this is going to pay off. My vision is consistently 20/15 in each eye, but I'm not sure of any way to check for phorias without using the machine.

Junkball

pilot
Nugget, I forget, how much time do you have left in school? I still can't believe you're fiangling BDCP out of that situation... nice work.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Depth Perception Test.

Congrats on the great eyesight Nugget61! Hey great information about PRK in this post. I'm going through my eye doctor to get referred to a surgeon that can do the consultation but I was wondering. At MEPS, what is the depth perception test like? What do they have you do?

Thanks
Topper

nugget61

pilot
Hey, been a long time since I've been on this thread.
Just as a PRK update: It's been over a year, I'm seeing about 20/20 both eyes with no real problems. PRK = Awesome.

The depth test at meps is like looking at a row of 5 cheerios and you have to say which one is standing up. Utter crap, IMHO. Randot/stereo fly is much easier to see.