• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I had a few more questions about NROTC.

If I'm not mistaken, during your junior year of college is when you sign a contract with the Navy and it is also when you would know whether or not you were selected for an SNA slot.

If I was not selected for a SNA slot through NROTC, would I still be able to apply for BDCP or PLC during my junior year of college, even if I had a contract with the Navy through NROTC?

Also, are there specfic cross town colleges that NROTC only works with? For example, if I went to the University of North Dakota and wanted to do NROTC, the nearest NROTC unit in Minneapolis, MN which is 5 hours away. If I went to UND would I be able to take NROTC classes in Minneapolis? I know this is kind of an werid situation but I was just currious.

Thank you for replying.

Dickwest83

No, you are mistaken. You incur a service obligation at the beginning of your sophmore year. You won't find out about service selection until senior year, usually around xmas break if you're a spring grad. If you're not selected SNA, then you're stuck with what you get (usually SWO). If that isn't to your liking, your only options are to DOR and either go enlisted or pay back every nickel the Navy has ever paid. It's also unlikely that you would get picked up for another commissioning program if you dropped NROTC, esp if it's b/c you didn't get SNA...remember, you're an OFFICER first, Aviator second.

As far as cross towns go, your home school would have some sort of consortium arrangement with the host school. As far as being 5 hrs away...I doubt that would work. You definitely put in some early mornings, and being that far away would just be hell.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
The cross-town affiliates for the various units are listed on the NROTC homepage.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for clearing that up about the NROTC commitment.

Would I be able to just take NROTC at a college with NROTC, even if the college I did go to didn't have a cross-town affiliation?

Thank you again for replying.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would think you would have to be a registered student at that college, if it didn't have a cross-enrollment agreement, i.e. taking the minimum number of classes, paying student fees, etc. That's the reason the cross-town agreement is there--to avoid having to do that.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

I just had another question.

I've read on a few fourms that it is easier to ger a pilot slot through NROTC than AFROTC. I always thought it would be the other way around because the Air Force has more aircraft and hence a greater need for pilots. Do you know if that is true that it is easier to get a pilot slot through NROTC than AFROTC?

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

I assume NROTC would be just as difficult right? Does NROTC offer more pilots slots than AFROTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.