• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC without Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
I know its been asked before but i cant find in in the search tool. Is it possible to participate in NROTC without getting a scholarship?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But if all holds true and you do a year of College Program and are successful at it - you can apply for a 3 year scholarship - depending on the whole personnel cycle, getting a three year scholarship can be a done deal (e.g. pretty easy) - I believe the selection pool is smaller yet it comes from the same budget or something like that.

In any case - getting a 3 year ROTC scholarship after doing 1 year as a CP is one of the better well kept secrets. Think of it as "try before you buy" - for you AND the Navy :)

A girl in my former unit got offered a scholarship after the first semester, as she had the grades, a passing PFA score, and showed effort, and I believe it was all done within the unit...no talking to CNET or such.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Allegedly, your chances of getting a 3 year scholarship are better then your chances of getting a 4 year scholarship (provided you do well in school and in the unit of course). At least that was the story when I went through- who knows how it is now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Vegita1220 is talking about is call the PNS "Leadership Scholarship." The CO has one (1) 3.5 year scholarship that he can give to one deserving student. Of course, if you have the motivation, grades, PT scores, etc, you MIGHT get it.

As far as the College Program, we put qualified students in at the end of every semester. During their freshman year, students are submitted for 3 year Side-Load scholarships. Sophomores are submitted for 2 year Side-load scholarships. What are "side-load" scholarships? They are the monies left over from student that either dropped from the program or were dropped from some reason or another. You must be on Scholarship or Advance Standing PRIOR to you JUNIOR year or you will leave the program.

Side-load scholarships are competition. Your Grades, PT scores, MAJOR, and Aptitude grades are submitted and ranked by selection boards. It really does help to complete Calculus when going up for the 3 year board (ideally with a B or better). If you are going up for the 2 year board, make sure you have completed Calc I & II. The Navy doesn't require you to finish your Physics until the end of your Junior year. MAJOR is also important. The NAVY really LOVES technical majors.....Does that mean that everyone should be a Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineer? NO, but technical majors ARE preferred. A science or math major with the same GPA and stats as a Political Science major would be selected OVER or before the Poly Sci Major.

Your friendly NROTC advisor should be able to tell you all of this in great detail (speaking as a former NROTC intructor). Usually the Freshman Advisor can help you out.

Good luck....
ea6bflyr

vegita1220 said:
A girl in my former unit got offered a scholarship after the first semester, as she had the grades, a passing PFA score, and showed effort, and I believe it was all done within the unit...no talking to CNET or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.