• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Weapons Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

navyfan

Can someone tell me what weapons training a first year NROTC student is required to master? It seems as if they must know something about an m16A and a M1Garand rifle, but does that include assembling, firing, etc. or do they just need to know the major components of the weapons? Also, what kind of weapon do the students qualify with when it comes to shooting? Do all units require weapons qual. or does each unit do something a little different? Finally, is it possible for a new student with NO weapons training to still learn how to shoot well enough to join the pistol team, for instance; or are those teams made up of experienced shooters? (Sorry for any incorrect terminology).

Thanks

In my unit, the only thing we 4Cs did with our M1s was drill. For that we didn't need to know how to assemble, etc.
Pistol team probably varies from school to school esp as size varies, but at my unit, which is small, the pistol team is more like an instructional course than a competing team.
In my unit, there is no mandatory weapons firing.
From what I hear, for the typical Navy mid, the only small arms shooting you'll do is during Marine Week at CORTRAMID.

Spitfire

Weapons Experience

4/c midshipmen in our unit are required to be on drill team. We use demilitarized M1s (Their barrels are welded shut). We still have to learn the weapon parts for inspection, but that's about it. In terms of Rifle/Pistol team, none of our 4/c MIDN were on our team this year, and usually they only pick up people with some experience. No NROTC unit that I know of requires pistol or rifle quals, and from what I hear, getting qualified before you are commissioned is rare.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
NROTC weapons training....is non existent at my unit. During our Freshman Orientation and thus far, I have never been required to assemble/disassemble any rifles, let alone know anything about them. This could differ from unit to unit, I'm sure someone else on here would be able to talk about something their school did differently. I don't know anything about qualifying with the weapons either. In regards to Rifle/Pistol Team, I know at least half of the mids on our team were brand new to it when they joined, so you shouldn't really have any troube. I joined the team with minimal experience and did fine. Hope that helps.

Noze

snizo

Supply Officer
Each unit is different. Some units require 4/c to be on drill team. Some require that close order drill (marching) include weapons. Some don't. My unit (GaTech) doesn't require any weapons training whatsoever unless you are on the drill team (which isn't mandatory for anyone).

navyfan

Sounds like there is a little variation from unit to unit, but not much to be concerned about if you are a novice concerning military weapons. That's good news. Thanks again.

Dickwest83

Last year as a 4/c I had the rare opportunity to qual on the M9 at Anacostia. From what I understand, this is definitely not the norm and I have never really seen any other MIDS with the pistol marksmanship ribbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.