• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Waivers

FlightSimmer

Hello all,

First post here...
I am a high school senior who is going be graduating next June and am shooting for an NROTC Scholarship to college, my desire being to become a Naval Aviator. I have a question though...

1.) My vision is 20/200 in both eyes, don't know about diopters. I have heard many conflicting answers to this effect, but is it possible to apply for a waiver, get PRK eye surgery, and be ordered to flight school, or am I in more of a "snowman's chance in hell" type scenario here?

Many Thanks,
Evan

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Yes you can get PRK laser eye surgery and get a waiver to go to Flight School. Talk to your recruiter and eye doctor about it to find out more information on the surgery and waiver, but yes you can get in if the surgery goes well. Also there is a Soft Contact Lense waiver that you might be eligible for, talk to your recruiter about that. :)

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Very possible, however you must get the eye surgeon approved by the Navy first - they want to make sure he/she is reliable. I've heard of a couple cases where the Navy even paid for the operation, but those people were already in the NROTC/Acad.

FlightSimmer

Yeah, what I'm shooting for is NROTC in college on either a scholarship (which I've already applied for) or out of my pocket, and see if the Navy will either approve or pay for my surgery...I just want to make triple sure that 1.) Assuming the operation goes well I'll be able to fly and 2.) If in NROTC the Navy will allow the operation and a waiver.

Your answers are much appreciated guys, I appreciate the time :)

UMichfly

pilot
None
My advice would be for you to go for the NROTC scholarship and then start your applications for either the PRK waiver or the contact lens waiver once you are in the program. The Navy won't pay for PRK if you are NROTC because you are not on active duty except for during your summer cruise period. That was the deciding factor for me that pushed me to try for the contact lens waiver and retract the waiver I got for PRK. One thing you should consider for the contact waiver is that it does play into your selection. If you are in any danger of not getting selected because you don't have high academic and physical performance, it might be in your best interest to go the PRK route and dodge the potential hits against your flight package from the contact lens waiver.

jerky1280

Hello all,

First post here...
I am a high school senior who is going be graduating next June and am shooting for an NROTC Scholarship to college, my desire being to become a Naval Aviator. I have a question though...

1.) My vision is 20/200 in both eyes, don't know about diopters. I have heard many conflicting answers to this effect, but is it possible to apply for a waiver, get PRK eye surgery, and be ordered to flight school, or am I in more of a "snowman's chance in hell" type scenario here?

Many Thanks,
Evan

Pretty sure they won't approve the surgery while you're in ROTC. You'll probably have to wait until you're commissioned, during your first tour would be my guess. I got mine done during my 1st tour at the Navy Hospital in Bremerton, WA. Waiting list was only 3 months there!

I was 20/400 prior to PRK and subsequently passed a flight physical and got a waiver for flight school. As for the waiver, I had to wait 6 months after my surgery before I could get a waiver and physical approved. Depending on your diopters, you'll either have to wait 3 months or 6 months. BTW, I'm now 20/15, and can pick away at the 20/10 line. :) However, I do still have some nighttime glare a year after, but it's slowely going away.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Pretty sure they won't approve the surgery while you're in ROTC. You'll probably have to wait until you're commissioned, during your first tour would be my guess.

Yeah, no... that's wrong.

Lots of us had PRK done as Mids, I had mine done over winter break during my junior year. At least six other people in my class did the exact same thing.

Unless they changed the rules, all you need is an OK from your CO/XO to do the surgery. You have to agree that if you screw up your eyes by having it that you owe the navy X thousand dollars, etc etc.

BTW... 18+ months out, 20/15 or better in both eyes. No halos, no glare. Worth every penny.