• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Uniforms

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
That's not a good reason because then MIDN shouldn't have to wear the anchors either. I have the same SDBs I wore as a mid and given how little I'll be wearing them, I'm not exactly about to go buy a new set. Also, I'm pretty sure candidates at OCS wear them too.

The chapter says you wear them. The sleeve insignia is what distinguishes you as an officer candidate as opposed to having the class stripes like a mid.

If you still have the generic fit SDBs that were issued to you as a freshman as an Ensign, there is something wrong with that. Note, the OCs at OCS don't have to have that stuff in there for but two months, a big difference from three years.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
we don't wear them here at Jacksonville U. The middie's do though of course.

Stick

pilot
That's not a good reason because then MIDN shouldn't have to wear the anchors either. I have the same SDBs I wore as a mid and given how little I'll be wearing them, I'm not exactly about to go buy a new set. Also, I'm pretty sure candidates at OCS wear them too.

The chapter says you wear them. The sleeve insignia is what distinguishes you as an officer candidate as opposed to having the class stripes like a mid.

If you read the uni regs it does not say that OC's wear them, it says MIDN do. This really isn't worth arguing over. Directly out of uni regs:

10. COAT COLLAR ANCHOR INSIGNIA AND COAT COLLAR STAR INSIGNIA

a. General. Coat collar insignia consists of plain gold anchors indicating midshipman status and gold stars indicating Distinguished Midshipman worn on the collars of the blue coats.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you read the uni regs it does not say that OC's wear them, it says MIDN do. This really isn't worth arguing over. Directly out of uni regs:

10. COAT COLLAR ANCHOR INSIGNIA AND COAT COLLAR STAR INSIGNIA

a. General. Coat collar insignia consists of plain gold anchors indicating midshipman status and gold stars indicating Distinguished Midshipman worn on the collars of the blue coats.

Stick,
Please be more specific with your reference. Did you mean Naval Uniform Regulations when you said "uni regs" or did you mean UNIT Regulations? What chapter? Do you see the confusion? I certainly hope your college MLA citations are a bit better. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Hmmmm

Well sounds pretty simple to me....MIDS wear them and OC's dont...if your specific UNIT wants you to then....I guess there is not a whole lot you can do about it but wear them. STICK do they wear the anchors at the Citadel??

Stick

pilot
Stick,
Please be more specific with your reference. Did you mean Naval Uniform Regulations when you said "uni regs" or did you mean UNIT Regulations? What chapter? Do you see the confusion? I certainly hope your college MLA citations are a bit better. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Navy uniform regulations Chapter 6, section 1, article 6101.10
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter6/chapter_6.htm

No we don't wear them at The Citadel.

Sorry about any confusion. :)

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor

I don't remember seeing any OCSers wearing them when I was at NSI. But then I think they mostly wore their Khakis except for commissioning when I saw them there.

Also it doesn't say you wear them. It says midshipman status, hence the area of gray which is why I brought it up for discussion.

Someone off this board tried pointing out in the first paragraph of chapter six that it states NROTC will follow the USNA. I think that right there makes it even more confusing because if everyone in an officer accession program follows the USNA then everyone should be called midshipman. But that's not the case. Unless I'm missing something, aren't priors who attend the Academy discharged and called midshipman?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Yes it all seems so simple doesn't it. Yet I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pinning some silly gold anchor on my jacket next week due to conformity.

Stick

pilot
I don't remember seeing any OCSers wearing them when I was at NSI. But then I think they mostly wore their Khakis except for commissioning when I saw them there.

Also it doesn't say you wear them. It says midshipman status, hence the area of gray which is why I brought it up for discussion.

Someone off this board tried pointing out in the first paragraph of chapter six that it states NROTC will follow the USNA. I think that right there makes it even more confusing because if everyone in an officer accession program follows the USNA then everyone should be called midshipman. But that's not the case. Unless I'm missing something, aren't priors who attend the Academy discharged and called midshipman?

Quit nuking it out.:) The instruction is pretty confusing, but the regs do say that your CO can modify the uniform (I forget where in the regs and I forget the exact wording). Basically, if your CO says wear them, guess what? You will wear them.:)

Have you been told to wear them or not?

Why not wear the Eisenhower like we are?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Quit nuking it out.:) The instruction is pretty confusing, but the regs do say that your CO can modify the uniform (I forget where in the regs and I forget the exact wording). Basically, if your CO says wear them, guess what? You will wear them.:)

Have you been told to wear them or not?

Why not wear the Eisenhower like we are?

I haven't worn SDB's since I've been at the unit. This whole thing came up when they put out the uniform for our dining-in. Dinner dress blues. I ran the question up the battalion CoC and they brought it to the attention of the OIC for said event (an LT). They basically said wear them (along with some other remarks aimed in an attempt to make it seem like I didn't want to wear them because I wanted everyone to know I had prior service--how did this person ever figure me out? ;) ) in an email back to me that was copied to all the staff that had routed my question.

I really don't care if we wear them because someone says so. But I would hope its the CO and I would hope that the reason is something other than people just not reading the Uniform Regulations. Because I've seen enough of the latter.

Stick

pilot
They basically said wear them (along with some other remarks aimed in an attempt to make it seem like I didn't want to wear them because I wanted everyone to know I had prior service--how did this person ever figure me out? ;) ) in an email back to me that was copied to all the staff that had routed my question.

The fact that you have ribbons and dolphins will let them know you have prior service, but I understand where you are comming from.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
. . .I ran the question up the battalion CoC. . .
And there's your problem. What you should've done is gotten your story straight with all the other OCs that it's not part of your uniform (because it's not). That way when you all show up together sans anchors, nobody would've said sh!t about it. Haven't you learned anything from me? ;)

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
And there's your problem. What you should've done is gotten your story straight with all the other OCs that it's not part of your uniform (because it's not). That way when you all show up together sans anchors, nobody would've said sh!t about it. Haven't you learned anything from me? ;)

Yeah too bad everyone that was in the chain leading up to this LT who kept putting out this ridiculous notion of wearing anchors was an OC.

At first it seemed as I had them onboard but they all kept wanting to revert back to this "Well they taught us to do it at NSI." Which is BS I can't stand it when people do something just because they were told it should be that way or that is the way it's always been done.

It's readily apparent though that NSI is done completely different each and every year.