• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Pilot Selction Rate

Zamerica

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering about the selection rate for aviators in NROTC. Some AFROTC detachments post their selection rates, but I can't kind any NROTC post that do that. Thanks and God Bless!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering about the selection rate for aviators in NROTC. Some AFROTC detachments post their selection rates, but I can't kind any NROTC post that do that. Thanks and God Bless!

Typical USAF. It will vary from year to year, unit to unit. We had two aviators selected my first three years at my unit then 11 in a single year. So the answer is, it depends and you won't get a good answer.

Zamerica

Typical USAF. It will vary from year to year, unit to unit. We had two aviators selected my first three years at my unit then 11 in a single year. So the answer is, it depends and you won't get a good answer.
That's what I thought. Does it matter what college you go to? I assume that USNA mids get preferential treatment.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what I thought. Does it matter what college you go to? I assume that USNA mids get preferential treatment.

No and no. NROTC mids are rated nationally so you competing against everyone nationwide for slots. A few schools apparently do brag about higher selection rates but they aren't telling the whole story, if it is an aviation-centric school of course there will be more folks who select aviation.

The allotments between NROTC and USNA have seemed to be very equitable since I started in the Navy many moons ago with both getting a proportional amount of slots. Again, not necessarily the case with the USAF but we ain't them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because they try to provide some data to those that ask? Yep... typical USAF.

Only part of a story is often worse than none. Are the units providing any context when they tell folks their numbers? Like their selection rate vs the one nationwide or the selection rate from year to year? The AFROTC unit at my school had two guys select pilot out of about 45 cadets one year but this was at a time when pilot selections were very low nationwide overall so it wasn't because the unit sucked, it was because it was the mid-90's.

The Navy could do a lot better about pushing numbers, like the USMC yearly air plan, but pushing out bad, misleading or incomplete info that seems to be a trend with some USAF folks/offices/units I deal with is even less helpful.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My take for NROTC selection - assuming your eyesight, flight physical and minimum requirements on ASTB the selection numbers are in your favor. There is sufficient numbers of NROTC midshipmen who have disqualifying attributes for pilot selection (anthro, eye sight, etc) that if you are physically/physiology qualed and meet ASTB mins, your chances sre well over 70% IMHO. YMMV.