• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC orientation swim

Immy

I'll be off to orientation in a little over three weeks and I was just wondering about the swimming during orientation week. I know how to swim but would it be advisable to go hit a pool and work on my swimming? Or is it not that difficult?

FWIW I'm going to Purdue if anyone's done NROTC there.

It's not that difficult but if you haven't been swimming in a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to swim around for a bit. That said, if you don't- you'll still be fine.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Most programs will only have you complete your 3rd class qual to start with; most schools can only do up to 2nd class anyway as I believe 1st class requires a tower.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I am the Operations Officer for Old Dominion's O-Week next month...we are only going to administer the 3rd class test. Not a big deal, mainly just to make sure that you are comfortable in the water and to teach you some basic survival techniques. The instuction is too big to attach but can be found on the web

google: Navy Swimming and Water Survival Instructor's Manual NETC P1552/16

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Keep your head above the water (except the prone float) and attempt to follow the instructions of the upper classmen who will be helping you out. Seriously it is not hard at all.....if you can't pass a 3rd class swim qual, you need to either (1) learn to swim, or (2) consider a different more land-loving service to join.

Immy

Thanks a lot again for the info....I can swim decently so I won't sweat it. I'll still probably go hit a pool before going down there cause I haven't done a backstroke or anything in a very long time.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Orientation swim is easy, don't sweat it. Just enjoy it as a chance to drown out the upperclassmen with the water in your ears.

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
I failed my swim qual last year. We had to jump off a 20 foot tower and my legs split when they hit the water and I definitely busted my balls on that crap. They give you plenty of instruction and stuff if you do end up failing, but you won't I'm sure.

Immy

Yeah I read we would have to do that as well.

So if you fail it they just give you more instruction and then you have to do it again?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah they will make sure you pass. They really don't care that much, it's just another qual, just like passing the first PRT. Don't blow it out of proportion :)

ip568

None
When I went through

we had to swim a mile in flight suit, boots, helmet, and uninflated LPA. It was very tough. Perhaps that's changed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
we had to swim a mile in flight suit, boots, helmet, and uninflated LPA. It was very tough. Perhaps that's changed.

You talking NROTC or API? I did that as well in API but I doubt many NROTC units have all that gear handy