• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC MIDN begin commission as inactive reservists for 6 months?

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
The IRR thing is more than "rumor mill" at this point. Currently, the word I've been hearing from various sources is that it's pretty much a done deal, (disclaimer) although it could still change. All NROTC and OCS SNA/SNFO selects will be going IRR until the pipeline thins out a bit, while Academy kids will be sitting pretty on the beach in Pensacola soaking up sun, pay, and healthcare. The length of time I've heard tossed around for IRR is "6 to 9 months," so start looking for a filler job.

The interesting thing is that SWO selects for this year are also being looked at for IRR, since SWOs are supposedly overmanned with JOs and undermanned with DHs and up.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The IRR thing is more than "rumor mill" at this point. Currently, the word I've been hearing from various sources is that it's pretty much a done deal, (disclaimer) although it could still change. All NROTC and OCS SNA/SNFO selects will be going IRR until the pipeline thins out a bit, while Academy kids will be sitting pretty on the beach in Pensacola soaking up sun, pay, and healthcare. The length of time I've heard tossed around for IRR is "6 to 9 months," so start looking for a filler job.

The interesting thing is that SWO selects for this year are also being looked at for IRR, since SWOs are supposedly overmanned with JOs and undermanned with DHs and up.

Sounds like a somewhat shitty deal in the near term for NROTC/OCS accessions, but it might actually help out their career timing in the long run.

alaakso

As a 1/C, who will be commissioning in a couple months, how would a move like this affect individuals who received a career starter loan from USAA? Would they have to begin payments as planned right after commissioning if they were immediately placed on reserve status? This is one of my primary concerns with this possibility. Any thoughts?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Rumor squashed at my unit for this years class. However, it is still being discussed for next year's class.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Yeah. Rumor killed at my unit as well. Great news to have happen on Spring Break.

JhwK08

Got a brief this morning. This IS going down starting the class that is graduating May 2011. Basically you can be put on reserve status for 2-12 months after commissioning depending on whether or not the training pipeline of you selected community is backed up (looking at you Aviation). From what I was told, you will be made aware of your reserve status several months prior to commissioning but not the length of it. A lot of questions are still unanswered as this was just passed recently - sorry I can't give more info.

Also, it's not happening at the Academy.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
^^^This is EXACTLY the same info they put out at ODU yesterday morning.

It's also not occuring for STA-21 OC's or the MECEP guys either

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Those of you in the class of '11 who feel like getting in to some deeper academics before you jump in to the "don't think, just memorize this shit and do it" mentality of flight school ought to have a look at OPNAVINST 1520.24C. If you think it's for you, talk to your chain of command. Getting anything other than a NPS correspondence degree is hard to do on the aviation side once you get started, so you can put in a delay on your own terms. Odds are that if it's ebbing now, it'll be flowing in a few years.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Those of you in the class of '11 who feel like getting in to some deeper academics before you jump in to the "don't think, just memorize this shit and do it" mentality of flight school ought to have a look at OPNAVINST 1520.24C. If you think it's for you, talk to your chain of command. Getting anything other than a NPS correspondence degree is hard to do on the aviation side once you get started, so you can put in a delay on your own terms. Odds are that if it's ebbing now, it'll be flowing in a few years.

Beans: I've been thinking about doing the officer scholarship program for a while, but I've got a few q's regarding it.

Are they looking for any specific majors? I'd be hoping to do something relating to Poli Sci, IR, Asian studies or security studies and was wondering whether not these areas would be looked down upon.

Also, is it possible to go abroad? Via a Fulbright, Wagoner, Marshall something of that ilk

Did you feel like taking the 24 months before flight school hindered you in any way? or did you get to skip a-pool and go to the front of the line.

If i were to do the scholarship program, would I still be able to look into Olmsted, Pol-Mil or NPS?

Last question, I haven't seen any recent OPNAVINST regarding the program, only 2008, does OPNAV release one every year?

Sorry for all the questions, just having a hard time getting a straight answer from my Unit

V/R

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Answers:

Beans: I've been thinking about doing the officer scholarship program for a while, but I've got a few q's regarding it.

Are they looking for any specific majors? I'd be hoping to do something relating to Poli Sci, IR, Asian studies or security studies and was wondering whether not these areas would be looked down upon.

Are you serious? I think we can use those types. No they're not "technical" but they're certainly useful for the mil. You can ask the NPS contact, too.

Also, is it possible to go abroad? Via a Fulbright, Wagoner, Marshall something of that ilk

Yes, or, at least, I think so. I applied to Cambridge U, but couldn't go because I didn't have any funding source. Plan in advance and you can pull it off, I think. Also you can politely call the Pgm Mgr in Pensacola and talk to her. Her name is on the INST, or PM me for it.

Did you feel like taking the 24 months before flight school hindered you in any way? or did you get to skip a-pool and go to the front of the line.
Yes. Mostly because I did IFS right after I commissioned, and then I let that training (I know it's only supposed to be "screening") lapse while I slaved in the ivory tower. I did skip A-pool, but that was where having IFS complete helped me. I know a guy who did a no-thesis grad degree: he managed to get his PPL while in grad school, thus skipping IFS. You should have the money to pull that off as an O-1 sans dependents.

If i were to do the scholarship program, would I still be able to look into Olmsted, Pol-Mil or NPS?
Dunno.

Last question, I haven't seen any recent OPNAVINST regarding the program, only 2008, does OPNAV release one every year?
No. 24C is the newest that I could find. The pgm mgr can tell you if it's out of date, probably.

Sorry for all the questions, just having a hard time getting a straight answer from my Unit

That's what this website is for!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Beans:

Thanks for the info! I was cautious about posting, but this place is too good a resource to go unused

V/R