• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Major Selection

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
I'm currently an engineering major, but I find that I really am beginning to dislike engineering and would rather pursue other interests such as political science. Would switching out of a technical major really inhibit my ability to receive a side load or advance standing, and then when commissioned would it inhibit my available opportunities for service selection?

A Day In The Life

pilot
I'm not sure how much your major plays into receiving advance standing or side load.

However in terms of service selection we were told from our unit that it plays a very small role. That it was better to be a non-technical major with a higher gpa vice having a lower gpa as technical major.

gotta_fly

pilot
I was in your exact situation. I switched from mechanical engineering to political science and do not regret it. That was back in 2008 so the climate may have changed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
Switching majors will have an effect on getting a side load or advanced standing, for better or worse the whole tier system really makes engineering preferable, however, I'm a Tier 3 and got advanced standing and got selected SNA so it is certainly possible. It will play an almost negligible role in service selection, a higher GPA is much more important for that.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
The effect it will have on your military carreer will be minimal, but it will destroy you when you seek a job in the outside world. Employers will know you took the easy route, and they'll give the nod to someone who took the tougher route. You can also take your name out of the hat for Test Pilot School.

I'm not trying to knock non technical majors. A study by the NPS showed that the academic major that does best in Nuke power school is English, not physics like you would expect. My message to you is to do what you want, but recognize the benefits and consequences of your decision.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The effect it will have on your military carreer will be minimal, but it will destroy you when you seek a job in the outside world. Employers will know you took the easy route, and they'll give the nod to someone who took the tougher route. You can also take your name out of the hat for Test Pilot School.

I'm not trying to knock non technical majors. A study by the NPS showed that the academic major that does best in Nuke power school is English, not physics like you would expect. My message to you is to do what you want, but recognize the benefits and consequences of your decision.

Eh? Do you really think that or are you being sarcastic? We have rehashed this here repeatedly and your major has little effect on post-Navy careers unless you are looking at being an engineer or something else that requires a technical degree, which for some strange reason often require an engineering or technical degree.......For other jobs out there in the real world, not so much.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Eh? Do you really think that or are you being sarcastic? We have rehashed this here repeatedly and your major has little effect on post-Navy careers unless you are looking at being an engineer or something else that requires a technical degree, which for some strange reason often require an engineering or technical degree.......For other jobs out there in the real world, not so much.

I was not being sarcastic. I do not consider a segue from a military officer career into a GS or a contract-related job supporting the Federal Government the "real world". As for the airlines, you don't need an engineering degree to get an airline gig, but then again, you don't need a degree at all. There are a lot of other jobs out there that do not fit these categories, and a technical degree will generally give you a leg up on the competition.

By the way, this is not up for debate. Studies have proven that technical majors open up more doors:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...reated-equal/2012/01/12/gIQAfz4XzP_story.html

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was not being sarcastic. I do not consider a segue from a military officer career into a GS or a contract-related job supporting the Federal Government the "real world". As for the airlines, you don't need an engineering degree to get an airline gig, but then again, you don't need a degree at all. There are a lot of other jobs out there that do not fit these categories, and a technical degree will generally give you a leg up on the competition.

And to restate what many a thread on here already has stated.......there are plenty of 'real' jobs out there for non-technical folks, not everyone wants to do a 'technical' job and many of those jobs out there are 'real'.

As for GS/contractor jobs with the government not being real, is the money they pay not real either?

By the way, this is not up for debate. Studies have proven that technical majors open up more doors:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...reated-equal/2012/01/12/gIQAfz4XzP_story.html

And not all job applicant are former Naval Aviators or NFOs. Just sayin'.

MiddieQ

pilot
From my experience with the tier system (my class was the first one), it is nearly impossible to switch to a tier 3 major when you were not given a scholarship for it. You can almost freely switch from a tier 1 to tier 2 because it only requires the approval of your CO, but when switching to a tier 3, the admiral has to sign off on it and many COs won't even let it get that far. This is all I was told when I wanted to change my major freshman year, so I hope it helps. What I did was find a major where I was at least somewhat interested in, and argued that it could be considered a tier 2 major (most majors that offer a BS can be argued in this way).