• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Housing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RXSilver

I was wondering if there was a designated NROTC housing building for midshipmen on campuses, or do midshipmen have the option living in a regular dormitory?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I can't speak for all NROTC programs, but the majority of them have you do what ever the university itself tells you to do.... IE... Most universities require freshman to live in the dorms for the first year, and then after that you can live out on town.

The one school that I think has students live in a "ROTC Dorm" is Texas A&M... I am sure there are some aggies who can confirm that. As far as most schools go, you are just a regular college kid, who does ROTC, it really does not change your "college experience" that much.

If you are looking for a school, I did NROTC at the University of Colorad @ Boulder, it was a good school and good NROTC program. Great skiing too.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This seems to be the rule of thumb:

You live in the dorms/apartments unless the school has Corps of Cadets, then you live together. Feel free to chime in if you're at a Corps of Cadet school and this isn't the case.

AlexFowler

Like Thisguy said, I would imagine that if you're at a Corps of Cadets school (Citadel, VMI, Norwich, Texas A&M, Va Tech, Maritime Academies, others?) you'd be living together, but neither of the schools in my batallion (Boston College, Boston U.), the schools at the other half of the consortium across the Charles (Harvard, MIT, Tufts), or any of the schools I visited when I was in high school (Tulane, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, George Washington, U.Penn) mandated that mids live together--that being said, there's a good chance you'll end up choosing to live with ROTC friends for your sophomore thru senior years (freshman housing will be random) anyway.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll chime in for my experience. Freshman housing at Penn State was random, but after that some ROTC guys lived together by choice, some got randomly stuck together, and some lived with non-ROTC people. More and more tended to choose apartments over dorms as they got older and the stipend increased. No mandatory ROTC dorms. During my time there was some dicussion about including an optional ROTC house in one of the dorms, but it got solidly shot down.

jdnew

Ya, I was at North Georgia (the one senior military college you forgot Alex) for a semester and everyone in ROTC lived together in their companies. It was pretty cool. I've noticed that we were more close nit than other ROTCs I've seen.

BYPASS

jdnewso1-
Yeah, I agree with the closeness in having to room together. VATech and Texas A&M have the Corps of Cadets that you have to participate in if you're going ROTC. There are separate dorms for the Corps, but they're still on campus so you're able to participate in all the other university activities with everyone else. I don't know about A&M, but VATech's Corps of Cadets is pretty strict. There's no music allowed in your room the 1st year. :-(

snizo

Supply Officer
Aside from the corps of cadets stuff already mentioned...

Many private schools with NROTC programs have some sort of deal worked out with housing and the ROTC programs. Some of these include dorms/floors just for people in these programs, some include free housing, some have a combination. Public schools (for the most part) aren't allowed to do this, so they tend to be random.

NROTC Atlanta at Georgia Tech/Georgia State has no Midn/Cdt dorm - you live wherever you want. The NROTC Atlanta program at the Atlanta University Center (private schools) has designated parts of buildings where the Mids get to live for free.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
At Penn State (as Nittany03 stated) its according to university policy. Freshmen live in dorms, everyone else does whatever they choose. Its about 50/50 dorms and apartments this year for my class (sophomores) but almost everyone I know is planning on moving off campus next fall.

Back in the day (as late as 1977) they used to have an NROTC dorm but it turned into a disaster zone with things getting broken, homemade explosives, out of control pranks, and people scaling the sides of the building (10 story tower). That's why we don't have one anymore and probably will never be allowed to have one again. I'd tell you more about it but I obviously wasn't there and I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out on some of it.

After hearing some of the things they got away with I am amazed that no one died. Most of it would get us kicked out or arrested on the spot today. Back then the cops, unit, and university were a little more relaxed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.