• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC expectations and becoming a Naval Aviator

Karpet360

Hey guys, this fall I will be attending Norwich University with a NROTC scholarship and I have a few questions. First off, are there any perks to being a NROTC graduate versus an academy graduate (i.e. more/less respect, higher/lower expectations)? I've visited a few Naval bases (NAS Oceana, Naval station Norfolk, Naval station New port), and I've had a lot of exposure to the various naval communities. With all this in mind, I have my sights set on becoming a F/A-18 pilot. I understand that being a fighter pilot may not happen so I am definitely open to the other communities as well as the other Aviator jobs( helo, NFO), and with that said, how hard it it to become a F/A-18 pilot?

Also I was born in Russia and became a citizen here in the states, will my nationality affect me in any way in terms of different treatment? And will it be a factor in choosing my career, and getting a security clearance?

Thanks for your time :D

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Yes it will be an issue in getting your clearance. I assume you renounced your Russian citizenship?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
This is REALLY close to a 'what % get jets%' question, and just so you know lots of people really dont like those questions around here... that said:

are there any perks to being a NROTC graduate versus an academy graduate?

Once youre commissioned there is no difference whatsoever. You all wear the same rank, uniform, etc. The only difference is how your particular experiences at your school shaped you. Douchebags and solid dudes come from every source. Make the most of your time, enjoy your college experience (wherever that may be) and don't be 'that guy'.

how hard it it to become a F/A-18 pilot?

Not going to answer this question. Search the forums and get familiar with the flight school pipeline. The short story is, some people are F-18 pilots, they exist in the Navy, there is a path to get there. It's possible.

Also I was born in Russia and became a citizen here in the states, will my nationality affect me in any way in terms of different treatment? And will it be a factor in choosing my career, and getting a security clearance?

You likely won't treated differently by your peers... I could see you getting a pretty good cal sign out of it :D . You're investigator is certainly going to want to ask you questions about being from Russia, but for what its worth we have a student aviator on this board who was from Iran originally, and that in and of itself wont prevent him from getting wings or flying P-3s for the Navy.

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Another option you might want to look at....if being a Aviator isn't life or death to you....is going into the Intel Community. Being able to speak Russian could help out a lot and seems like a great community to be involved in. Other than that you are a long way from having to worry about how people are going to treat you and how much respect you will get while in the Navy. You determine that by your actions.

Use the NROTC as a way to learn the mistakes you don't want to make in the fleet. It is a lot more forgiving and a great place to learn.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Intel isn't an option for NROTC unless unusual circumstances.

Affirm......NROTC mids do put down RL preferences (I think only 1 when I went through IIRC), but you can expect to go URL unless medical issues prevent that (or maybe some other random circumstance).

I did NROTC, and I fly Hornets now.....it is doable. I'd say it comes down to how badly you want it, and how hard you want to work. I knew plenty of guys who showed up to primary and wanted nothing but jets, and a few months down the road, they had other ideas. Some didn't have the skills/grades, some didn't want to put in the time or decided the lifestyle wasn't for them, and some just decided that they would rather be doing something else once they got exposure to other communities. Nothing wrong with making those choices, but just realize that as an outsider right now, your perceptions of flying Hornets may be vastly different than the reality

Hawk12

None
Affirm......NROTC mids do put down RL preferences (I think only 1 when I went through IIRC), but you can expect to go URL unless medical issues prevent that (or maybe some other random circumstance).

It seems they greatly expanded the URL categories out of NROTC, here was the list for FY12.

1160 Surface Warfare
*1160E Surface Warfare - Engineering Option
*1160G Surface Warfare - Oceanography Option
*1160L Surface Warfare - Intelligence
1160N Surface Warfare - Nuclear Option
*1160P Surface Warfare - Information Professional
*1160W Surface Warfare - Information Warfare
1170 Submarine
1170E Submarine - Engineering Option
1180 Special Warfare (SEAL)
1190 Special Operations (EOD)
1220N Naval Reactors
1370 Naval Flight Officer (NFO)
1390 Student Naval Aviator (Pilot)

RESTRICTED LINE/STAFF CORPS (RL/SC)

1810 Information Warfare
1820 Information Professional
1830 Intelligence
*1840 Cyber Warfare Engineer
*1970 Doctor
*1980 Dental
*2900 Nurse (midshipmen/STA-21 Target option only)
3100 Supply Corps
5100 CEC (Civil Engineering Corps)

Of course the URL still require the SWO stuff then I pursume a transfer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Being foreign-born isn't a show-stopper for clearance...I've known officers born in Iran, Venezuela and China who had TS and above. But it's a fair bet the investigators will spend a bit more time on your file than the average.

You won't be treated any differently than anyone else in a squadron or wardroom. This guy was born in the Ukraine, and he sure as hell did good when the chips were down.

MasterBates

Foreign born may be good for a callsign.

Like "Abrek the Russian Space Monkey"

(that would be the guy in Fester's link)

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
About a decade ago, MAG-31 had a CO who was polish, Callsign was Otter. Then the squadron I was in got a JO who was also Polish (I think he actually checked in about a week or two before me), and since he immigrated when he was 13 he was still fluent, and upon being asked, replied that the Polish name for a baby otter, or something similar, was "Lutra." That became his callsign. Lutra, BTW, didn't speak a word of English until he came to the US, and is now one of the best fighter pilots I know of. Great dude, and he did just fine with his clearance, too.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot

It seems they greatly expanded the URL categories out of NROTC, here was the list for FY12.

1160 Surface Warfare
*1160E Surface Warfare - Engineering Option
*1160G Surface Warfare - Oceanography Option
*1160L Surface Warfare - Intelligence
1160N Surface Warfare - Nuclear Option
*1160P Surface Warfare - Information Professional
*1160W Surface Warfare - Information Warfare
1170 Submarine
1170E Submarine - Engineering Option
1180 Special Warfare (SEAL)
1190 Special Operations (EOD)
1220N Naval Reactors
1370 Naval Flight Officer (NFO)
1390 Student Naval Aviator (Pilot)
Holy crap, how bad are SWOs hurting for JOs?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, recall that the 1160X programs are be a regular ol' SWO for one tour, then you have the option to move on to METOC, Nuke, etc.

When I was a Shoe, a detailer gave us a number that was something like it took 7-10 JO's to make one Dept Head, due to the fact that everyone was bailing at OBLISERV. So wardrooms tended to be overloaded with JO's just to make the math work - my frigate had 175% officer manning and the XO was struggling to invent jobs for all the new Ensigns checking aboard. But that was a very different civilian job environment; no idea if it's still the case.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
When I was a Shoe, a detailer gave us a number that was something like it took 7-10 JO's to make one Dept Head, due to the fact that everyone was bailing at OBLISERV.

How is that not an indication of a systemic leadership problem in the Surface community?!