• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Doubts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
Hey everyone
I applied for a NROTC scholarship to ERAU and I want to go into Aviation (Aeronautical Science major). I know its not guarenteed but I have been reading about things like BDCP and special contracts. Is NROTC the wrong way to do this? Is there anything I can do to help guarentee aviation? Thanks guys I appreciate the help!
goldfish_125.gif

NavyHawk77

Hey Fisher,

Your best bet is to try for an NROTC scholarship. The chances for selection as SNA from the NROTC program are the highest out there. If you can score a 4 year scholarship, that will set you up for the possibility of selection as an SNA...but you don't need to be a scholarship student to be selected...nothing is not set in stone. You have to study hard and do well in the program...your CO will be giving you his endorsement in the end. I am an NROTC student, commissioning and graduating in December...67 days left. I, along with three other guys from my class, were just selected for SNA last week. It was 100 percent acceptance for my unit. Grades and Scores for NROTC people are not that competitive...all you have to score on ASTB is 4's. The competition is internal and there are hundreds of NROTC flight slots each year. That is your best bet!! Good luck.

fraz76

I will agree with NavyHawk on shooting for a Navy ROTC scholarship. With the scholoarship its a free ride on your tuition and an advance introduction into the Navy / Marine Corp team.

BDCP give students at Universities that do not host or have a cross deck ROTC program a chance to apply in the Navy and to receive some funds while still in school.

So if I was in your shoes:
1. NROTC 4yr scholarship

2. NROTC college program non scholarship during your first year, if you dont get the scholarship then apply for a 3yrs scholarship your second year in college.

3. Navy ROTC 2yr scholarship

4. BDCP, If that also dont work.

5. OCS billet, you can apply early.

You got alot of options and good luck.
6 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
Thanks guys I was really nervous about that. Saw BDCP and almost pee'd myself.

What about ERAU.. I hear the Unit is BRAND spanking new. Will this mean my experience there will be different compared to an already established NROTC school.. like Norwich?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't been to either school (PSU Grad myself) but the Officers and NCOs at any ROTC unit are all experienced enough that I think any difficulties you've had would be mainly administrative in nature. And all ROTC units report to CNET (the Chief of Naval Education and Training) so you'll get the same Naval Science education as any other ROTC mid. Definitely go ROTC, though, I think it's the best way to go for most guys. There've got to be some plusses at a relatively new unit though. Coming back as an old fart, you'll hear "Yeah, we've been doing [fill in the blank] for over forty years" and be able to come back with "Wow, you're still doing that? My friends and I came up with that when we were drunk after [fill in the party], I can't believe you're still doing that!
propeller_125.gif
" Or something like that. But to guarantee Aviation, like everyone else has said, keep your eye on the goal and work hard. Good luck!

fraz76

Here is the NROTC official website: https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

So you can look up other school with NROTC and here is ERAU NROTC site:

http://www.erau.edu/db/rotc/nrotc/index.html

Hope this helps and good luck, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.